Major Electrical Gremlins!!

d_wiegand

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am looking for some assistance, or at least pointers to get me looking in the right direction.

I was working on a 2002 gts today that wouldn't start. This is my first time messing with a Viper, but I am pretty knowledgeable and handy when it comes to working on cars. Anywho, It was suspected that the starter was bad, so it was replaced. Come to find out that wasn't the issue. After pulling the relay and jumping the pins I got the car to start and it stayed running. However it will not crank with the key, despite swapping relays, and jumping the clutch switch wires. This leads me to believe this issue is in the ignition switch. Safe to assume?

A slew of other noticed problems arose once it was running and we went for a drive in it, but I didn;t have time to investigate these issues too much yet. Figured I'd try to get some input, so that later this week I have some things to try and look for. Both windows won't roll down. There are no motor noises coming from either door, so I assume it's safe to rule out regulators (would hear the motors trying to move), but I find it odd that both motors themselves would fail. Are there other parts involved? I haven't pulled door panels yet.

The turn signals also don't work, along with the blower fan for heat/ac, and the abs light is on.

I pulled a multitude of fuses, all of which appeared fine. I can't tell what fuse the windows are on though. Blower fan fuse is fine too.

Everything was working prior to the suspected starter issue as far as I am aware (not my car), but has been parked since around October of last year, and just now getting around to trying to get it road worthy now that the weather is finally changing. Any ideas suggestions, things to check etc, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
That almost sounds more like a BCM, though I'm not sure if the car would want to run without one. Since it's basically everything in the cabin it would point to something more global than that. Did you check the main BCM fuse? I believe that would normally be in the engine compartment and not in the cabin, though I'm not a familiar with the earlier gens.

OP
OP
D

d_wiegand

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t think I checked that one specifically. But I will try to find it and check it when I get off in a couple hours. I have no idea what that fuse encompasses, but the radio, gauges, interior lights, wipers, all exterior lights with the exception of the turn signals work. It definitely starts right up when I jump the pins for the starter relay with the key in the on position. It’s all rather strange to me.

I was looking online at ignition switches, one site claims it’s the same as damn near every other dodge... is this true??? I’ve got a Durango I can snag one from if that’s the case to see if that’s why it doesn’t start with the key.

OP
OP
D

d_wiegand

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so I got to the car, decided to see if it would start without needing a jump, and it didn’t. But everything that I said didn’t work is now miraculously working. Only issue as of right now is just getting it to crank with the key, which it will not do. However with the blower fan being on when I tried, when I turned the key all the way forward to try to get it to crank it definitely pulled electric, because the fan slowed way down until I released the key. But where would the draw be going? The starter made no noise.

OP
OP
D

d_wiegand

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I figured it out. I plucked the ignition switch out of my Durango and swapped them, and everything is working after multiple attempts to see if it would work only intermittently. So far all is good. The starter not cranking must have been a combination of the switch and the relay, because after swapping the ignition switch I then swapped the relay and it started like a normal car. So far the car is “fixed”, give it some time and use and see if it comes back, but so far so good.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456