Changing out the air filters (pics)

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, I have yet to locate any upgraded filters (K&N's, etc.). I originally thought that they were round from what I could peek at through the front. WRONG! I then decided to see how tough it was to get to them. Answer? Not very!

Start with the six Phillips head screws, which do not need to be backed out all the way, just part way (they stay in the retaining clip):

You must be registered for see images

Once the cover is removed (and it comes right off), we find two VERY large OVAL filters:

Taking them off is a breeze, as they are literally "wedged" on with no clamps or anything else. And yes, I did say "oval":

The inside element is very thick, darn near like a bath towel. No wonder people can pick up some respectable ponies with replacement filters:

Here we can see not only the "wedge" on the side that holds them in place, but also the drain holes that can be found on either side. You may recall in one of my previous posts that I was pretty sure rain could get in there, as you can see the filters through the duct with the hood closed - which means that rain can also angle in that way. Sure enough, the drain holes on this one show some small water "trails"...

Interested in taking off the bottom of the airbox just out of curiosity? Me too! Seems it is only held on by two plastic wing screws:

<center>
</center>

Now, everything is obviously built in a certain way for a purpose. I will be the first to admit I know very little about airflow. That said, I am sure there MUST be a reason for this bizarre "chamber" on the end of the intake "Y":

Doesn't seem to be holding anything in place (certainly not the filters) and only seems to provide a marginal "split" between the two when the cover is on. More importantly, it is entirely hollow and is part of the intake system. I can't help but wonder if this large empty chamber on the opposite side of the intake might cause more turbulence and "rough up" the air flow. Curious!

So, that was my brief foray into the airbox today. Tomorrow, we take off the cylinder heads!.................................... KIDDING!!!!

Chris

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, and here is what the pulleys look like when the airbox is off. Impressive:

Also interesting to note that it provides the belt routing for no A/C. Could be for those ACR versions or maybe the Comp Coupe...

<center>
</center>

Fun!

Chris

commoditybroker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris,
Again, amazing photos and descriptions, along with humor!! Thanks for the update, and I CAN'T WAIT to see more!

Zach

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That chamber is a resonater. It is there to quite down intake noise. I have seen this type of thing on many types of cars in one form or another.

Car manufacturers like to keep the intake noise down, so this is one of the things they do.

I could see how changing the whole intake system would add up to a "decent" increase in power. All I see is turbulant airflow with that resonater in place.

This is just my 2 cents, I could be sooooooo wrong. (But I think I'm right)
smile.gif

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Matt M, PA:
I think Jerome is correct...it is a resonator. The earlier RTs had something similar.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So did some folks modify that and eliminate the resonator? If so, did it pick up any power of note? Needless to say, noise is not a big worry for most Viper owners. Great information, and thanks!

Chris

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If someone would design and build an airbox that would do away with the flex coulping and those oval filters and also use a large panel filter it would be a nice inprovement in airflow.

I "see" turbulance and restriction in the stock design.

I think you will see replacements for the whole assy. in do time. The only thing factory intake component left will be the intake scoop on the hood.

CajunViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TNT Motorsports has one designed and ready for orders. The Price is the same as their Race Air Kit at their web site. It picks up 26 rwhp and 26 ftlbs tourque.

Dean

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would be interesting to see what happens to the HP/TQ if you take off the filters & resonator tube. I have a hard time believing that 26 HP can be developed by installing a different air filter box. However- if the numbers go up dramatically- that would lend credence to the claims...

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yes! When replacing a Gen 1 intake with smooth tubes, that resonator goes bye bye, as it is attached to the accordian style stock tubes. From what I remember, the resonator is necessary to cut down the decibels to a DOT/EPA compliant level.

OK guys, someone has to get over to a dyno with their SRT-10 and unplug that baby! Looks like the aftermarket guys might have something to work on!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Y2K3SRT:
So did some folks modify that and eliminate the resonator? If so, did it pick up any power of note? Needless to say, noise is not a big worry for most Viper owners. Great information, and thanks!

Chris
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Y2K3SRT:
Now, everything is obviously built in a certain way for a purpose. I will be the first to admit I know very little about airflow. That said, I am sure there MUST be a reason for this bizarre "chamber" on the end of the intake "Y":

Doesn't seem to be holding anything in place (certainly not the filters) and only seems to provide a marginal "split" between the two when the cover is on. More importantly, it is entirely hollow and is part of the intake system. I can't help but wonder if this large empty chamber on the opposite side of the intake might cause more turbulence and "rough up" the air flow. Curious!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is probably far fetched, but as the air enters in front of the "chamber" and flows into the intake, maybe the chamber acts as a damper to take up pressure differences caused by turbulence, and decreases turbulence --- sort of like your home water system, where there are usually air spaces in a special pipe near fixtures to take up water hammer. Just a thought.