check engine light

jramey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone stole my gas cap, Now my engine light is on. Could this be caused by not having a gas cap and how do you get the light off. I have a 2000 gts thanks for any replies.

BruceW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, it will throw a code, it's only an emissions problem so it won't interfere with driving the car. An OBD II reader can reset it but I think I read somewhere that if you replace the cap and go through six or so cold starts the code will reset itself...not sure about that.

Steamroller

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jramey... Yes. Part of the OBD system is being able to detect if fuel vapors are escaping from the fuel system (including the fuel tank) into the atmosphere.

OP
OP
J

jramey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i just bought a new cap yesterday so we will see thanks for the replies, unless someone knows something different?

CO GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Lost my cap too. Bought a new one and light went off a few days later.
Dave
01 GTS

GoldenVenom

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi all,
After I found out that my gas cap is not lockable and I heard stories like this, I went out and bought one from the local Autozone store. I figure soon or later I will lose it so now atleast I have 2 gas caps not 1 and I do not have to worry about some bad people put some strange liquid in my gas tank. I advice you to buy a lockable gas cap. Now if there is a way to lock my hood I will be very happy.