Check Your Clutch Master

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK I deserved it I guess since I don't check under the hood much between annual oil services. Was heading out to the alignment shop when I lost most of the clutch pedal. Got back home and had a flatbed take it to my shop. R&R'd the clutch slave and weeping tail piece seal and was back in business two days later. Word to the wise: check the master level at least monthly to detect any slow drop in level. There were no drips on my garage floor as all the leaked fluid had been absorbed by the dust/dirt in the bell housing. My '01 had 12,532 miles at the time of failure, so mileage is not a good indicator of how durable these slaves are.
You must be registered for see images attach

JAY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Changed my fluid last year, seems clutch fluid gets easily contaminated when you do spirited driving . New fluid helps keep the seals in good condition. fwiw ;)

OP
OP
G

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I changed the fluid when I got the car 2 years ago. However, I assume the factory fill was in there up til then. My point is you have to watch the reservoir to know when the slave is failing.

kenphjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your car's sitting nice with those new coil overs-even though it's on the flatbed

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope you got the Viper onto the Flatbed without scraping the nose....you seem to have it lowered quite a bit.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Done 3 this year already with 2 being this week..............

Nice rims!!!!!!!!! any more pics???

Baz

lxadeuce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you should have changed the clutch while you were in there. I've been told that anytime the clutch or slave needs to be changed, to do the other so you don't need to drop the transmission again. it's only a couple hundred extra to do it

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I'm about to have to do this with my viper.. not to thrilled. should I really look at replacing the clutch while the tranny is out? my car has 22k on it..

OP
OP
G

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I'm about to have to do this with my viper.. not to thrilled. should I really look at replacing the clutch while the tranny is out? my car has 22k on it..
Are you sure it's not the master? Check behind the carpet for wetness. With only 22K on your car (assuming it's been babied), your friction disk has a lot of life left. I considered doing it with my 12,500 mile clutch, but chose not to based on shop recommendations.

OP
OP
G

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope you got the Viper onto the Flatbed without scraping the nose....you seem to have it lowered quite a bit.
It was a chore and wound up paying more for the tow. The front wheel looks lower than actual since it's sitting up on a board.

OP
OP
G

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone replaced their master cylinder? My shop guy told me the Alldata estimate for that job is more than the slave.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang