Chin guard help

terribleted13

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got my chin guard from snake oyl. Are the tongues/slats suppose to touch the paint? The instuctions say that washers may be required on some facias. Did anyone run into this or have to modify the guard. Thanks for the help in advance. :2tu:

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will touch the paint where the three bolts are...then over the ridge....then the three rubber pads up front will touch.

So yes, the three slats will touch but they have pads under them.

Is this what you are asking?

OP
OP
T

terribleted13

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jerry,
The slats touch the paint/front facia before the pads, as if the gaurd needs to be mounted further back under the car.

ABADASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you ever run up over a parking stop it will bend and poke up into the facia. 1 used chin guard for sale cheap. The one that Sean Roe sells looks like it will work but the best thing is just watch out when parking. Sorry Snake Oyl

OP
OP
T

terribleted13

Enthusiast
Reaction score
gaurd update

Hi all!
Called Snake Oly, left message and never heard back from them. :mad: So I took matters in to my own hands. Added 2 5/16" washers at the mounting points,between frame and the guard, added a 3-5 degree bend 3 inches up from the cross bar, no more problems or paint contact!! :D :2tu: :D :headbang: :headbang:

ABADASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: gaurd update

Terribleted It bent pretty easy didn`t it. It will when you run over a parking stop also but will not spring back be careful.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: gaurd update

Your guard should have come with foam pads that stick on between the slats and the paint. They work well when installed correctly. You do not want a gap between the slats and the facia. That will make it easier to snag on a parking wheel stop or other obstruction. When you snag something and keep moving forward it can lead to some nasty damage. Keep the stays as close to the facia as possible -- it makes the whole assembly harder to see that way also. My Snake Oyl chin guard has saved my front end effectively several times.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine