Chin Motorsports at Road Atlanta - Nov 24/25

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright guys, It's getting lonely going to the track all the time and being the only Viper! ;)

The last Chin event for the year at Road Atlanta is the Sat and Sun after Thanksgiving. Come burn off that tryptophan from turkey day!

I know I have talked about it before, but the amount of track time you get with this group is absolutely awesome in comparison with other groups that have events at RA. Instead of the 4, 20 minute sessions that you get with NASA, you get a 45 minute sesison, plus 3 sessions of 30 minutes each with your run group. PLUS there is a 1 hour open track session at the end of each day! I can honestly say that I have never told myself, "I'm done" and pulled off the track before running with this group. You will get plenty of driving and be worn out by the end of the day!

They only run 3 groups and the spread between the fatest/slowest in each group is much less than other people I have run with, so it makes it a lot more enjoyable. The beginner group is new solo guys and beginners with insrtuctors and allows passing in the normal 3 straight aways with a point-by. The other two groups allow passing anywhere on the track with a point-by. After running in the group where you can pass anywhere on the track, it's a whole lot more fun and a whole lot more tiring.

The entry fee is $550 ($150 more than NASA), and beginners have to pay another $100 for their instructor, but when you look at the total cost of the weekend, that little bit extra for the huge amount of difference in track time you get, it's MORE than worth it. Plus, they actually try to match instructors with students who drive similar style/power cars, so it's a better match of driving styles.

I am also trying to see what kind of discount we might be able to get by getting a certain number of cars signed up. I'm not sure if we'll get anything or not (especially for this Nov event since it's popular because of the cooler weather) because they keep their number of entries relatively low so the track isn't too crowded, and they seem to sell out on their own most of the time. When I get an answer to this, I will update this thread.

As of right now, they still have 29 overall openings (28 after I register) and 15 openings for beginners.
http://www.chinmotorsports.com/events/descriptions/display.asp?eid=484

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's good to know that I'm not the only one who freaks out over the number of, and length of sessions at a track day. Also pays whatever the club fee is and rationalizes it as 'a good deal'. Also doesn't want to see the season end and keeps trying to line up more track days even though it's getting colder. -for me, PPIR and HPR offer lapping days thoughout the winter months depending on the weather. If there's not snow, then we go! .....You and I are cut from the same cloth. ........Good luck with your lapping. -Allan

khomes7

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in Chattanooga and might consider doing this. I would probably drive my vette because it is not as nice as my viper and want to keep my viper in one piece. (I have never done a track day FYI). I would definitely be considered a beginner. I have always done drag strips and never road courses.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in Chattanooga and might consider doing this. I would probably drive my vette because it is not as nice as my viper and want to keep my viper in one piece. (I have never done a track day FYI). I would definitely be considered a beginner. I have always done drag strips and never road courses.
Smart move assuming that you have a newer model with traction control. Leave that on, no shame in that at all. I have tracked my C6 three times so far, and left all the nannies on. The Corvette is a great 'learning' roadcourse car because they are so well balanced and easy to drive. The Viper is so much more fun and rewarding, but not forgiving at all. Start with the Vette and use the nannies as a coach, when they are coming on, you did something not quite right. Sign up for an instructor as well. No shame in that either, and that will keep you from learning things the hard way. -don't ask how I know. You will have a lot more fun sooner. When the Corvette gets boring (it will) then step up to the Viper, life will never be the same after that.

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Shoot me a PM with your contact info. I've noticed a couple of more Vipers in town lately and only met of few of them. A shot in the dark here, are you Brandon with the Venom Red '08?

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn.... Theres a group of us going to be at Road Atlanta the week before you are on Nov.17,18......:dunno:
Are you already registered?

We will be at Road Atlanta with MVP Tracktime.
http://www.mvptracktime.com/
As a matter of fact, we will be at Road America with MVP this coming weekend 10/13-14.....:headbang:
Several members of our "gang" run MVPs entire schedule. It's a good organization and each group runs at least 6-20 minute sessions per day.

We ran Mid Ohio earlier this year with Chin MS and liked their schedule and organization.
(BTW...Is it just us, or is Mark, Chin's manager, a little,... "different"?....:rolaugh:)

We have a core group of 6 Vipers that caravan together to various track events. We live in St. Louis and travel mainly inthe Midwest. Our track group consists of (3)- ACR-Xs', (1)- ACR-X clone and (2)- ACRs'...

I definitely agree that it is more fun to track with other Vipers. If you haven't already booked with Chin, you might consider RA on 11/17-18 with MVP.

I KNOW there will be at least 6 Vipers there......:2tu:

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hahahahaaaa! Mark is a little "different", but he's a very nice guy.

I'll have to look into the MVP thing. I didn't see it listed on the Road Atlanta calendar.

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks like a good group to run with. What kind of cars usually show up and what kind of pace? I wouldn't consider myself an "advanced" driver, as I don't have a competition license, but I would say I'm better than average compared to people with a similar amount of track time. :)

The 20 minute sessions are pretty short, but at least you get a lot of them. I guess my main concern is the fact that you can only pass on the straights. I love the fact of passing anywhere with Chin because I've seen too many "trains" at RA and depending on the length and what cars are in it ahead of you, it can take a while to get by the slow traffic, only to still be behind slower cars after you get by the initial hold-up.

I may see if there are any openings as we get closer to the date, so I can check the weather. I tend to wait as long as possible since I have no interest in running on a wet track.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hahahahaaaa! Mark is a little "different", but he's a very nice guy.

I'll have to look into the MVP thing. I didn't see it listed on the Road Atlanta calendar.

I agree. He is a nice guy. I didn't mean to infer a bad thing....just "different". Not many people signify the start of a track day by "bugleing" a conch shell....:lmao:

It looks like a good group to run with. What kind of cars usually show up and what kind of pace? I wouldn't consider myself an "advanced" driver, as I don't have a competition license, but I would say I'm better than average compared to people with a similar amount of track time. :)

The 20 minute sessions are pretty short, but at least you get a lot of them. I guess my main concern is the fact that you can only pass on the straights. I love the fact of passing anywhere with Chin because I've seen too many "trains" at RA and depending on the length and what cars are in it ahead of you, it can take a while to get by the slow traffic, only to still be behind slower cars after you get by the initial hold-up.

I may see if there are any openings as we get closer to the date, so I can check the weather. I tend to wait as long as possible since I have no interest in running on a wet track.

"I guess my main concern is the fact that you can only pass on the straights".
The "advanced" group has different rules now. You can pass in the turns (except the obviously dangerous ones)

No problem. Your description of your driving ability is along the same lines as ours'. Hopefully you can make it.

We will have a GREAT time...as always.

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All you ******** and your nice trailers! lol

Have most of y'all run at Road Atlanta before? Any idea what the typical lap times are in the advanced group? I know there will be plenty of people faster than I am in that group, but as long as 1:40-1:41 keeps me somewhere mid-pack, I'm good. No problem letting faster people by, by I don't want to be the ***** out there that everybody is lapping! ;)

khomes7

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I am Brandon with the Venom red. Are you Shawn Martinez friend he was telling me about. Allen, my Vette is a C5 with a ls7 swap (motor is being swapped now and should be done well before november). It is a base coupe with non upgraded brakes and only c6 z06 shocks. I would not consider it the best handling weapon. It does have traction control though :)

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All you ******** and your nice trailers! lol

Have most of y'all run at Road Atlanta before? Any idea what the typical lap times are in the advanced group? I know there will be plenty of people faster than I am in that group, but as long as 1:40-1:41 keeps me somewhere mid-pack, I'm good. No problem letting faster people by, by I don't want to be the ***** out there that everybody is lapping! ;)

Yes, we have been to RA before. Honestly, I don't know what our times were. We installed Race Keeper data loggers so we WILL know this time.
The Advanced group at MVP is very similar to the Advanced group at CMS, if that helps...?

FWIW... I wouldn't wait that long to register if you are considering the MVP event. If you look at the MVP schedule, you'll see that every track event has sold out. Road Atlanta is not sold out yet but will be...
I have found that it is easier to cancel one week away from an event than to try and register a week
before....:dunno:

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we could cancel a week before, it would be nice, but I think I read that if you cancel less than 3 weeks in advance, you don't get a refund. I guess the $400 for the entry fee isn't all that bad though.

I'm going to try to make a quick trip tomorrow to check out a couple a trailers about an hour from here. I don't know why I can find them all over the place, but in town.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, we have been to RA before. Honestly, I don't know what our times were. We installed Race Keeper data loggers so we WILL know this time.
The Advanced group at MVP is very similar to the Advanced group at CMS, if that helps...?

FWIW... I wouldn't wait that long to register if you are considering the MVP event. If you look at the MVP schedule, you'll see that every track event has sold out. Road Atlanta is not sold out yet but will be...
I have found that it is easier to cancel one week away from an event than to try and register a week
before....:dunno:

If we could cancel a week before, it would be nice, but I think I read that if you cancel less than 3 weeks in advance, you don't get a refund. I guess the $400 for the entry fee isn't all that bad though.

I'm going to try to make a quick trip tomorrow to check out a couple a trailers about an hour from here. I don't know why I can find them all over the place, but in town.

MVP is sold out. Hope you made it...?

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tree,

How was RA? I still can't believe I was first on the list for a spot and nobody cancelled! At least I get to run it this weekend. :)

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tree,

How was RA? I still can't believe I was first on the list for a spot and nobody cancelled! At least I get to run it this weekend. :)

It was fantastic!!! Weather was perfect, track was great, good group of drivers... Had a great time..:headbang:

Hope you have a good, safe weekend also....

Good luck and shiny side up.... :2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456