Chroming factory wheels and swapping out runflats for PS2's

lbstone

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Over the winter I decided that after all the thousands of dollars I've spend over the years on go fast goodies, I'd try and do something cosmedically for my Viper. I was torn what to do that would be tastefull. After much deliberation, I decided to have the wheels chromed. Since I was removing the tires to have the wheels chromed, I figured now was a good time to change the rubber from the runflats to the PS2's (here's my add for the runflats Message - ViperClub Classifieds) and replace my dead TPS' also. I should be getting the wheels back in a few more weeks and I figured I'd post up some pictures of the results. So stay tuned....

BTW, the runflats have a much cooler tread design and look then the PS2's. I'm a little dissapointed as they look like a larger version of the tires on my girls Civic!! I know they are a much better tire or I wouldn't have dropped $1,700 on new rubber when I have only 4000 miles on the runflats, I just keep looking at the tires side by side and think the PS2's like kinda pansy!!

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just got back from having my 7 year old runflats replaced with PS2s, and even on wet roads (I was taking it VERY easy) I could notice the difference. MUCH more confident handling.

Yes, it was ALOT of coin, but worth it for performance and SAFETY.

OP
OP
L

lbstone

Viper Owner
Reaction score
what year are the run flats? How much are you asking for the fronts? Cant see your ad yet.

The add was up but my payment info was wrong so I imagine it was taken down. I was selling the entire set for $675, i'm not keen on selling them seperate due to the low mileage. Anyone that knows my car knows how low the miles are!!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The PS2s have a huge traction improvement and are symetrical whereas the zps have heavy sidewalls and are a heavy design of tire. The PS2s are the best and that's why the zp tires have been discontinued. The zp tires were also a lot more money than all the other tires.

ghengishahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I often hear the cost of $3000 thrown around to replace a set of tires. However when I look at the TireRack, the cost of the tires alone are about $1700 with shipping and taxes.

Is the install costs really really expensive?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I often hear the cost of $3000 thrown around to replace a set of tires. However when I look at the TireRack, the cost of the tires alone are about $1700 with shipping and taxes.

Is the install costs really really expensive?

Usually $100 or so.

I paid $820 to Eddie Martin in Az for a set of rear 335 x 35 x 18" BFG KDW2s installed on the car.

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I drove to Portland and had a set of PS2s installed on my car. $1600 covered the cost of tires and instal. JonB shipped them to Oregon where there was no tax and that paid for the gas to drive there. HPDriving course with JonB instructing was the huge bonus and where I broke-in the tires! I'll be calling JonB during the next month or so and getting another set of PS2s. Last set lasted a year and a half or 20,000 miles!

Ted

Ted

OP
OP
L

lbstone

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I drove to Portland and had a set of PS2s installed on my car. $1600 covered the cost of tires and instal. JonB shipped them to Oregon where there was no tax and that paid for the gas to drive there. HPDriving course with JonB instructing was the huge bonus and where I broke-in the tires! I'll be calling JonB during the next month or so and getting another set of PS2s. Last set lasted a year and a half or 20,000 miles!

Ted

Ted
The install shouldnt be bad of the PS2's but the Runflates were a PITA to take off and I imagine just as difficult to install. I dont have too much of an issue with the runflates because I haven't driven on anything else. I have a Honda coupe as well and the factory Michelin's are hard as a rock on the honda as well!! I'll be sure to post up my observations of the PS2's once they are installed. The main reason for the tire swap though was to get the wheels chromed!!

ghengishahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am not knowledgeable about PS2 but I assume they are not run flats. If not then I assume you just "chance it" if you get a flat. Or is there a back up plan?

OP
OP
L

lbstone

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am not knowledgeable about PS2 but I assume they are not run flats. If not then I assume you just "chance it" if you get a flat. Or is there a back up plan?

a can of fix-a-flat or other temporary tire sealer and a portable air compressor would do the trick.

rudedawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS2's from Parts Rack $1600.00,Mount and Balance 4 tires from Tator Dodge $154.00.Total for all $1754.00. If it cost you more then somewhere around that price your paying to much.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The runcaps came with a Tire Pressure Monitor System/TPMS to let you know if you're losing air. The factory systems are OK, but the Hella System I bought from Viper Specailty was a Hella and monitors temp and pressures and reads each tire on demand. Much better than factory where it just gives you a light. Should be available from partsrack as well. There are a couple different systems from Hella and Orange.

I definitely recommend installing one.

Ted

OP
OP
L

lbstone

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The runcaps came with a Tire Pressure Monitor System/TPMS to let you know if you're losing air. The factory systems are OK, but the Hella System I bought from Viper Specailty was a Hella and monitors temp and pressures and reads each tire on demand. Much better than factory where it just gives you a light. Should be available from partsrack as well. There are a couple different systems from Hella and Orange.

I definitely recommend installing one.

Ted

I'll look into a different TPMS system but if it wont make that damned light go out, I'm gonna stick with new TPMS's! I dont track the car and put only about a thousand miles on the car a year so I have little use for a crazy system that I'm never gonna use. I'd rather spend the money on other go fast goodies!!

Sa far I'm in this for about $1650 for the PS2's. Chroming is $325 per wheel including shipping, it cost me $40 to unmount the runflats and I've gotta purchase new TPMS. The tire shop I use will be around $80 - $100 to mount the new rubber. Long story short, this was an expensive "little" mod!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96