Clear Bra, which one?

Donzi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who has installed a clear bra on their Viper?
Which is the best one to get....Scotch 3M? or ....?
Thanks.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Would suggest you talk to a couple of high end Dealers in your area and find out whom they use. Seems the biggest issue is not always the product , but the installer and how they back the product? The film , regardless of make, seems to have a tendency to peel back or collect moisture in various climates, needing a little TLC sometimes -- main reason I suggest finding a good installer over everything else.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have ventureshield on all my cars. Actually I think it is owned by 3M. Would not own a car without it. All of them yellow and peel if you own the car long enough. It is true proper installation is key. One car could take several hours to do right. I have seen plenty done poorly.

Mike 123

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree the installer is just as important as the film. Also be sure that they do not use a razor on your car to trim off the extra film.
A good installer should not need to trim off any film after the kit is installed.

OP
OP
D

Donzi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I will just buy an OEM black removable bra....thanks for all the replies.

Mike 123

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Donzi,

With the black bra's you need to make sure it is a good fit and the car is 100% clean or it can rub on the paint and scratch it.

Photog1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I will just buy an OEM black removable bra....thanks for all the replies.

I have a Colgan bra on my Denali it is the best brand to buy. But it is PITA!!! I have ventureshield clear bras on my Vipers and Challenger definitely the better way to go.:2tu::usa:

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VentureShield Ultra and Avery Nano Fusion are the two top films out there today. You want to cover the bumper, partial hood and fenders, lights, mirrors, and most importantly... the rocker panels. A leather bra will not protect those... not to mention they look TERRIBLE. Those went out years ago and should stay.

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will have to disagree with you here. Before there were kits, the installer had to "bulk" the car. Use one solid piece. Any good installer will have to use a razor. That being said, I have seen cars distroyed with people cutting on the car, but a good installer will not touch the paint.

I agree the installer is just as important as the film. Also be sure that they do not use a razor on your car to trim off the extra film.
A good installer should not need to trim off any film after the kit is installed.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will have to disagree with you here. Before there were kits, the installer had to "bulk" the car. Use one solid piece. Any good installer will have to use a razor. That being said, I have seen cars distroyed with people cutting on the car, but a good installer will not touch the paint.

Yeah, me too. A lot of mine have been custom jobs because of what I wanted covered. A good one who has been trained with a razor is fine .

10 BANGER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm getting mine out of the shop this weekend from fresh paint and have plans to do the same.
So.
1. How long will the paint have to cure before installation.
2. How much does black paint expose the film.
3. Will it show more (on black) when film is scuffed.

Thanks

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm getting mine out of the shop this weekend from fresh paint and have plans to do the same.
So.
1. How long will the paint have to cure before installation.
2. How much does black paint expose the film.
3. Will it show more (on black) when film is scuffed.

Thanks

Not sure how long paint should cure but I would not rush it. You might email 3M and ask. It will absolutely show more on a black car. I have a black CTS-V and have it going up hood and you can spot it easily whereas on my Escalade you hardly notice it. Still worth it IMO.

Reaction score
If the installer cuts the paint with a razor blade, I'm sure he can sand off the cut line with some 60-80 grip sand paper.

My installer did a great job on three of my cars, and there are no issues with any of them.

3M was the brand installed on my cars, but I heard they bought Ventureshield as well.

I would never consider using a leather/vinyl bra unless it was on my lady, and even then, I would want her to wear a clear bra.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also have Ventureshield. You can't tell it is even there.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
talk to the paint shop about cure time, i was told 60 days before i could have a clear bra installed

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Actually a good kit installer will NOT have to use a razor at all. If the kit is properly placed it will line up exactly as intended. If its off in any little place it will cause issues elsewhere. But it can be trimmed without using a razor on the car. 95% of the installers out there calim to never cut the paint yet when I take their kits off (for whatever reasons.. usually to replace) there are cut marks all over the car. You cant see them until the film is removed. Yes there are some installers that can do it properly without getting into the paint, but very few. And you will pay top dollar for their work when you could get the exact same coverage from a kit at half the cost. Companies like Proform and Xpel make excellent kits these days with wrapped edges and minimul seem lines.

One other note I have found over the years from installing film is most new installers get into the business and do bulk "custom" jobs because the overhead is much lower. They dont have to buy a plotter, the patterns, and all of the other equipment required to cut kits. They simply buy bulk film and cut away... much cheaper and provides a greater profit margin... but the ones who cut the paint usually get caught at some point and go out of business. The key is to finding someone who hs been doing it for a long time and does excellent work.

Mike 123

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Texas Venom. I have pulled off a lot of plastic to see cut marks on most if not all corners on some very high end cars and before the film was pulled off you would have never known that there were cuts in the paint. A clear bra is a great thing if it is installed properly. You may pay a little more for a good installer but in the end you want your paint protected not cut.