Clicking/light clunk from front brakes with ft to rr stops

Kevin ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been getting a mild clunk on my first stop after backing up and loading the brakes. then when I move forward they clack like their is slop and the pads shifted. I can back up hit the brakes and get some sound, then go forward and get the noise ...all in teh driveway. Once a forward stop is made you won't hear it until you back up?

I am going to open it up and go back through it this winter (happened over the summer) but was wondering if anyone has had this problem. The pads I currently run are from woodhouse, not sure if they are porterfield r4s but that sounds right. I"ve run stock, EBS, some others amd never noticed before. Maybe I missed a torque on re-assembly? Don't know.

I was hoping someone would pipe in and say that it sounds like "it might be this" or "might be that" for some direction. any thoughts appreciated.

thanks

Kevin

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It might be normal. The pads are held loosely in place by the pins, but that is only so they don't fall out when you aren't using the brakes. What really does the holding when you apply the brakes are metal inserts in the brake pad cavity of the brake caliper. These inserts take the "load" of the pads resting on the caliper because the aluminum body would not be able to do so without deformation.

The rear brakes would do the same, but since they are cast steel, won't have the inserts.

These metal inserts on the fronts are replaceable, since they are held in with an allen head screw, if I remember. I wonder if you just have a combination of backing plates of your brake pads being slightly small, the metal inserts being slightly worn? Other than looking at it to see how "loose" it is, I don't know that you would have to do anything.

John Hackett

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon B mentioned to me a VOI that it could be the E brake cable has streched allowing the rear pads to clatter when backing up after forward driving. I currently have this problem and Jon told me to try to adjust the E brake cable.
Do you use the E brake alot while parking?

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll have to have a word with JonB,hahah. IMO it's not the E brake adjustment. The E brake wouldn't hold the car when the handle was pulled if cable adjustment and if too tight will drag and overheat the rear brakes . The problem sounds like a pad anti rattle clips/springs are broken or missing. The pads are held in with pins and the anti rattle springs are under them both front and rear pads. I just went out into my garage and you can see the anti rattle springs holding the pads from slamming back and forth. :)

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The front calipers have a flat metal spring under the pins pushing the pads towards the center of the rotor. The rear calipers have a wire spring that wraps around the pin. I have extra rear caliper wire springs - let me know.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4