Clunk sound from tranny area when I suddenly give the car gas?

moparchris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all,

Sold my'94 Viper and picked up a new (to me) '01 Viper. Low miles at about 7,000 miles. It has developed a noise that it did not have for the first few hundred miles after I bought it. If I'm going about 20mph or so and tap the gas, when the car quickly surges and decelerates I can hear an audible clunk from, I believe, the tranny area. Really, it occurs any time I suddenly hit and let off the gas. If I accelerate smoothly, there is no clunk and it seems to have all the power it did prior to the noise developing.

I should mention that yesterday I downshifted into second and when I did so the car bucked and rocked like a son of a gun. I put the clutch back in and it stopped. When I brought the rpm's down a little further, it went into second fine and I did not notice any other issues. I'm wondering if I broke an engine/tranny mount? Any ideas?

V

Venomiss

Hey all,

Sold my'94 Viper and picked up a new (to me) '01 Viper. Low miles at about 7,000 miles. It has developed a noise that it did not have for the first few hundred miles after I bought it. If I'm going about 20mph or so and tap the gas, when the car quickly surges and decelerates I can hear an audible clunk from, I believe, the tranny area. Really, it occurs any time I suddenly hit and let off the gas. If I accelerate smoothly, there is no clunk and it seems to have all the power it did prior to the noise developing.

I should mention that yesterday I downshifted into second and when I did so the car bucked and rocked like a son of a gun. I put the clutch back in and it stopped. When I brought the rpm's down a little further, it went into second fine and I did not notice any other issues. I'm wondering if I broke an engine/tranny mount? Any ideas?

Here is a helpful thread with pictures for you to compare on your Viper.

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/644728-Transmission-Mount?highlight=Engine+mounts

The other idea was the additive for the rear differential but what you described sounds like that might not be the problem.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the motormounts look fine its prob normal drivtrain slop. my T56 cluncks everyonceinawhile.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem I had with my '00 Viper was the mounts for the rear end differential. There are a couple of bolts that go up that loosened and I got that clunk noise. I dunno maybe it just sounds like it's coming from the tranny. :dunno:

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same noise... was loose bolts on the cross member that hold the tranny up in the car. Easy fix, just gotta pull that giand plate off the bottom of the car and tinker around up in there...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine