Clutch fluid

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At VIR this weekend, before I started, Archer Racing drained my clutch fluid resevoir and replaced the fluid there. After VIR, my clutch fluid is now dark again (worse than when I got there), so I need to deal with it. I am correct that the clutch fluid and brake fluid are the same? This leads me to several questions:

1. Where can I get a device to enable me to pump out the fluid in the resevoir to change it?
2. Does it matter if you put in different fluid than before?
3. Is there any reason to use "better" brake fluid for the clutch rather than the brakes?
4. What are the fluid options? (Seems as if they are Motul 600, AP Racing, or the Ford stuff. Skip Thomas favorably mentioned the Ford heavy duty brake fluid this weekend, and in a recent discussion, it was mentioned that there was a DOT 3 with high performance characteristics and a DOT 4? The local Ford dealer only has a DOT 3...)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The slave cylinder in the bell housing can heat up a LOT, and normal convection causes the hot, dirty fluid to migrate up to the under-hood master cyl reservoir. The cleaner stuff heads down the pipe as soon as you begin driving.

I simply use a large syringe / turkey baster to REGULARLY replace that dirty fluid w/ clean Motul 600. I do this several times per year, and before any track event. Call it a 'poor-man's bleed" but it has worked for me for 80K+ Viper miles and many track events. Ditto on the P/S fluid. Same hand-siphon and "keep it clean" with fresh synthetic P/S fluid.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Henry and I have figured out how to "bleed" the clutch system - starting by draining and refilling the fluid reservoir, refilling with fresh (we used Motul 600) and then using a small tip on the hand vacuum device to bleed the fluid through the bleed screw located ...(somewhere under the car - hope Henry sees this later - he's travelling and will be more descriptive) I work the pedals....

We replaced our fluid this past winter (or was it before finals?) and it is still fine - trick is getting a complete bleed.

John S, when we do again, you are welcome to come on over....