Clutch Question.........

Don Hiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This may be a dumb question, but yesterday I noticed that there is quite a bit of "free pedal" in my clutch. By that, I mean that the pedal will travel an inch or so between fully engaged and the extent of its limitation.

Is this normal?

Don

SRTTOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don,
I have an 03 as well, and due to a noise problem (see my post today) I have been becoming knowldegable about our clutches. The clutch mechanism in our SRT's is completely hydraulic driven by the clutch master cylinder which actually engages and disengages the clutch via a slave cylinder mounted on the throw-out-bearing. The throw-out-bearing and slave cylinder are an assembly and are sold together. The hydraulic system is self adjusting and does not need to be bled, if for instance you change the bearing/slave assembly. The play you are experiencing of around 1 inch is normal.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
QUOTE:
I have an 03 as well, and due to a noise problem (see my post today) I have been becoming knowldegable about our clutches. The clutch mechanism in our SRT's is completely hydraulic driven by the clutch master cylinder which actually engages and disengages the clutch via a slave cylinder mounted on the throw-out-bearing. The throw-out-bearing and slave cylinder are an assembly and are sold together. The hydraulic system is self adjusting and does not need to be bled, if for instance you change the bearing/slave assembly. The play you are experiencing of around 1 inch is normal.

Just because the unit is sold as an assembly does not mean that it does not have to be bled. I have seen many vipers with spongy pedal that have had air bubbles in the system and have had to bled.

Robbie

1st Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been dealing with a clutch problem for awhile. I get more and more play in the pedal while the car is warming up. One time a couple weeks ago, I put the clutch on the floor and could not get it into gear until I pumped the pedal a bunch of times. I held up traffic for what seemed like an hour (really about 30 sec). I just picked up the car today after replacing the master cylinder. They ordered a slave cylinder also, but I told them don't bother tearing apart the trans...let me see if replacing the master cyl works. Well, by the time I got home (about the time the engine got fully warmed up), the pedal went 2/3-3/4 of the way to the floor before I felt any resistance. I'll drive it some more, but I think I may have to take it back to have the slave cylinder replaced. The tech bled the system even though you supposedly don't have to. Also, he showed me the heat insulation around one of the fluid lines. Anyway, it looks like clutch problems are common. I hope it can be fixed once and for all. I have less than 700 miles and the problem started at least a couple hundred miles ago.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
It is usually the slave that fails. It gets the bulk of the heat from the engine / trans and has some plastic parts.

I have replaced several in both GTS and SRT.

I recommend using synthetic fluid, Neo or Motul 600 both work well. Change it frequently or just **** the top 60% out and replace it on your own. Easy to do and seems to increase the life of the slave.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone ever noticed that all these problems started happening after the 2004 model year? I have had zero problems with my 2003, built on 06/11/2003 with 15000 miles, except for the headlight reflash. I have to wonder if these problems are from DC uping the production numbers.

05Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 05 w/ 17000+ miles on it and I don't have any clutch problems. For that matter, I don't have any problems with the car at all.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang