Clutch question

Adam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have got a question on my gen 1, my clutch pedal goes dead if I am shifting quick. It as if it does not disengage my clutch and gets closer and closer to the floor, I have done one back to back run and by the time I got to fifth gear on the second run it would not go in, their wasn't enough clutch pedal. Any suggestions?

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Slave Cylinder? Might be worth trying to bleed. I had to replace my slave earlier this year. Pretty straight forward - but dropping the tranny can be a pain - especially without a lift.

Good luck.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen 1 is at least ten years old and the brake fluid may have accumulated water that is boiling. Bleeding should remove the water-containing fluid.

The slave cylinders don't last forever. I'm on #3 at 85K miles.

This is tricky, but if it's a slow leak you can introduce hydraulic fluid, which will soften the seals, but then switch back to brake fluid. If you don't, the seals will swell and get too soft. I have extra cars and was stubborn, so I tried it and got lucky... so far.

Is it heat or time related? How long between "works" and "doesn't work"?

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack your thread, but I'm having a similar problem. I drove it Thursday and it was hard to get in gear. I put it in neutral, and the pedal was soft and then it wouldn't go back in gear. I checked, and it was low on fluid. I added fluid, and it did fine. Yesterday I was backing down the driveway and the clutch pedal was soft. The fluid level was fine, but it was stuck in first gear. I pumped the clutch a few times because it was soft again to see if any pressure would build up, but nothing. It's stuck in first, and I noticed fluid dripping from the bottom of the transmission where the cover plate bolts up to protect the flywheel. I have a feeling I'm going to have to drop the tranny, or take it to the dealer. Any suggestions?

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack your thread, but I'm having a similar problem. I drove it Thursday and it was hard to get in gear. I put it in neutral, and the pedal was soft and then it wouldn't go back in gear. I checked, and it was low on fluid. I added fluid, and it did fine. Yesterday I was backing down the driveway and the clutch pedal was soft. The fluid level was fine, but it was stuck in first gear. I pumped the clutch a few times because it was soft again to see if any pressure would build up, but nothing. It's stuck in first, and I noticed fluid dripping from the bottom of the transmission where the cover plate bolts up to protect the flywheel. I have a feeling I'm going to have to drop the tranny, or take it to the dealer. Any suggestions?

Sounds like you have a bad slave cylinder. My 96 car did the same thing. If you bleed it and put more in it you will be able to get it out of first.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to think of the clutch hydraulic system as if it was one solid rod pushing the throw out bearing because that is what it is. If the padal is soft and spongy then air has entered the system. Next ? is why. A hydraulic clutch is the same as a power steering system. If they are low on fluid there is a leak! They don't use or burn a fluid like an engine. The clutch Master if low the fluid was displaced by clutch disc wear but not much fluid displacement. Usually the Master leak is inside the car on the carpet. Think of the clutch system same as a brake system.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RaySir

Why is does the leak appear in the car, all the master cylinders are on the toe box under the hood.