CM Perf. TT Viper -722whp/772wtq at 8.5 psi

davem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,
We are making progress with our TT Viper, as you can see from the post, 722 whp and 772 wtq at 8.5 pounds of boost on a totally stock 96 GTS.
I think tuning will free up a little more power at this psi, then we will turn it up some more and see how we do!!

Once again, thanks to Jason Tarnutzer for his help - great guy...

Still lots of work to do to get it NHRA legal from some drag racing action, but wanted to give y'all an update to let you know we are still alive and tuning.
The dyno sheet is on our website,

http://www.cmperformance.com/viperproject.html

best,
Dave.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice figures! If you don't experience any diminishing returns - I'd expect 828rwhp and 885ft lbs at 12 lb boost - that's feasible with adequate intercooling etc!

Nice smooth curve.

viper newbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very impressive to say the least. However, from my past experience with several turbo cars (buick GN's, Supras, And even some custom stuff we've done) It appears the turbine housing A/R is just slightly to large. I would probably try a .81 or .96 just for reference. I am not by any means trying to bust your b*lls, Just saying it would broaden the power band a bit. You will probably lose some peak power, but the overall width of the power band would more than make up performance wise. Once again very impressive, but with a smaller A/R you could probably make full boost at 4400 rpm Vs. 4900-5000 where you are. Once again I am not trying to offend you only offering a little constructive criticism. Drew

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice to have some more induction options. Keep us posted.

OP
OP
D

davem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drew,
Went with the big dogs because our goal is the 1000hp mark. Need to do a little more work before we get there,
but that is why they are so big. Putting in half shafts this week and going to take it to the track hopefully next week if I can get it done
with Purners and see if I can learn how to drive it before we crank it up more - and get the car NHRA legal.....

thanks for the comments,
later,
Dave.

viper newbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, I understand completely. That seems to be everyones goal these days, 4digits :D And you guys are well on your way no doubt. I was just making a statement for your street drivin kits. Good luck and keep us posted on the dyno and track times. Should be very impressive. Drew ;)

OP
OP
D

davem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The dyno we used is the one in my shop, it compares to an old style dynojet 248C.

I actually designed and built it myself - it is an inertial dyno only, so I can't put a constant load on anything. The wheel diameter is 14.1",
I can't remember now but I think the older model dynojet's is 12" - I'd have to go dig the numbers up, but I chose the inertia so it would
provide the same rolling load as the dynojet. I use Performance Trend's Datamite II data aquisition + software, at 200 samples per second.

later,
Dave.

DChan415

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Dave, how are you dealing with the heat from the turbos?
Looks like the manifolds are sitting where the heat shields used to be.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,
We are making progress with our TT Viper, as you can see from the post, 722 whp and 772 wtq at 8.5 pounds of boost on a totally stock 96 GTS.
I think tuning will free up a little more power at this psi, then we will turn it up some more and see how we do!!

Once again, thanks to Jason Tarnutzer for his help - great guy...

Still lots of work to do to get it NHRA legal from some drag racing action, but wanted to give y'all an update to let you know we are still alive and tuning.
The dyno sheet is on our website,

http://www.cmperformance.com/viperproject.html

best,
Dave.

The numbers are not bad the the turbo's used are completly wrong for the application. Peak power is made at 4800rpm?