Come on in... The water is nice.....

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I gave up on those arguments a long time ago... mainly, because I know I have no chance of swaying a gentleman like DevilDog, so why waste my typing fingers. I have owned a Gen-2, and now a Gen-3... Sorry, I am not going back. I was one of the haters at one point, so I realize how blind someone can be... dont know for what reason, denial maybe? Get what you like, and stick with it.

PS- Saying "Gentleman" is used loosely would be an understatement-of-the-year candidate...

OP
OP
B

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, *********** is a *******. I told him so in person one time, and all he could do was look at me like I was crazy....which could be partially true. ;)

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BC, I have to agree with Daniel, it's a waste of time.
What they fail to understand is that most SRT owners moved up from a Gen I or II, the key word here is moved up, more power, better brakes and a more refined ride. :2tu:

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
BC, I have to agree with Daniel, it's a waste of time.
What they fail to understand is that most SRT owners moved up from a Gen I or II, the key word here is moved up, more power, better brakes and a more refined ride. :2tu:
Exactly. Most will praise the Srt-10 once it is in their price range.

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, *********** is a *******. I told him so in person one time, and all he could do was look at me like I was crazy....which could be partially true. ;)

Yea bro, i've been there done that with the blinded Gen II foofers. I mean, I love the car, still do, no doubt about it, it's still a classic. However, the car is starting to get dated, and the Gen III is a better car in EVERY way. There is absolutely no doubt. When panels and door don't line up properly after a year or so, there is definitely a problem.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's the headlight gaps that bugged be, and the headlight switch hitting my left knee everytime I let off the clutch. Other than those two things I loved the GTS. Hated the RT-10 roof(s) too. To each his(her) own. The early cars were nicer to look at, harder to live with. Kinda like my X.

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Yea bro, i've been there done that with the blinded Gen II foofers. I mean, I love the car, still do, no doubt about it, it's still a classic. However, the car is starting to get dated, and the Gen III is a better car in EVERY way. There is absolutely no doubt. When panels and door don't line up properly after a year or so, there is definitely a problem.

I am interested in hearing more about your "panels and door", statement. I recently bought an 02 FE, and everything seems to match up nice still. The fit and finish is not the best, but it is not a lexus either. I am not trying to argue, I would just like to hear owner experiences. Did you just have a bad time with yours, or does everyone you know experience these problems?

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am interested in hearing more about your "panels and door", statement. I recently bought an 02 FE, and everything seems to match up nice still. The fit and finish is not the best, but it is not a lexus either. I am not trying to argue, I would just like to hear owner experiences. Did you just have a bad time with yours, or does everyone you know experience these problems?

Well, give it a year or two. After a while, the panels and especially the doors on the vehicle start to magically come out of alignment and need to be adjusted. The car is put together like a kit car. Don't get me wrong, I loved the car, but in the end, when I drove the SRT 10, I noticed that they fixed almost everything that was wrong with the GTS that bothered me the most. Most notably, the fit and finish of the vehicle. The headlight gaps were also a major annoyance. To answer your last question, yes, my problem(s) were not something that I experienced myself, it is something almost every single GEN II owner that is not blinded has experienced in his or her ownership. That is the bottom line.

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, give it a year or two. After a while, the panels and especially the doors on the vehicle start to magically come out of alignment and need to be adjusted. The car is put together like a kit car. Don't get me wrong, I loved the car, but in the end, when I drove the SRT 10, I noticed that they fixed almost everything that was wrong with the GTS that bothered me the most. Most notably, the fit and finish of the vehicle. The headlight gaps were also a major annoyance. To answer your last question, yes, my problem(s) were not something that I experienced myself, it is something almost every single GEN II owner that is not blinded has experienced in his or her ownership. That is the bottom line.

Thanks for your experience, as long as these are things that can be maintained easily, I am willing to deal with them. To put a positive word in from a gen II owner, I love the srt10's and will be looking to add an srt coupe in 07, if there is a hp increase.

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too was not impressed with the Gen III's. But time and familiarity has a way of changing one's point of view. I moved up to an SRT-10 in May. The Gen III's just don't look as good as the Gen II's, which will always be classics. But in every other respect, the Gen III is a better car. I've noticed that some other Gen II owners in our region are coming around to this realization, too.

I also agree with the others that arguing about the relative merits of Gen III vs Gen II with other Viper owners is pointless. I owned 2 GTS's from 1997 to 2005, and put a total of 70,000 miles on them. They were great cars, but it was time to move on. I also never encountered the misaligned body panels problem mentioned above.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the srt10's and will be looking to add an srt coupe in 07, if there is a hp increase.

I heard there will be a hp increase but it wont be on the stock model. i heard there will be a new acr that will have more horsepower and a better 0-60 time and a better 1/4 mile. :cool:

monnieh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm looking to move from my GenII to a GenIII. Even though I like the looks of my GenII considerable more than the SRT-10.

The only problem is I know in 10-15 years I will be wanting another GTS and have to pay out the ***** to get one.

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking to move from my GenII to a GenIII. Even though I like the looks of my GenII considerable more than the SRT-10.

The only problem is I know in 10-15 years I will be wanting another GTS and have to pay out the ***** to get one.

Nice. If I ever decide to own another Gen II..which one day I probably will, I will perhaps purchase a 96 or 97 model. It must be blue and white. I have always wanted one, but I didn't want to buy an older car. Now that I look at it, I see that it is the car and color combo that made me fall in love with Vipers all together. Long live all Gens of Vipers. I love them all.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score

:eek: thats a nice acr that you have. i wouldn't sell that.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In 10 years I never noticed a problem with body alignment.

I still love the RT/10 look like the first time I saw it at the autoshow. But some aspects do get dated and just look cheap now when I look back. Things like the Murray's turn signals, K car ash tray, GM steering column, etc. The interior was so dated when the car was new I replaced it with Venzano in year 2. No similar need with the SRT. The canvas windows and buildable top were about the worst I have ever seen.

Even with all that I still like the RT/10. But side by side in the garage the annual mileage has been about 10 or 20 to 1. And that is only driven by desire and not to "save" the car.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[quote I heard there will be a hp increase but it wont be on the stock model. i heard there will be a new acr that will have more horsepower and a better 0-60 time and a better 1/4 mile. :cool:

[/QUOTE]

That's called wishfull thinking, since no one with any real insider knowledge is saying that. We want to believe that DC will step up and put the vette back in second place. I'm betting that if the Viper Coupe doesn't sell to expectations it may be the last Viper period.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's called wishfull thinking, since no one with any real insider knowledge is saying that. We want to believe that DC will step up and put the vette back in second place. I'm betting that if the Viper Coupe doesn't sell to expectations it may be the last Viper period.

[/QUOTE]

your probly right :(

monnieh

Viper Owner
Reaction score

your probly right :(

[/QUOTE]

Is DC even turning a profit on Vipers? I thought they lost money on every one as it's role is a halo car.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
To be singled out of a three page thread to be attacked by the GENIII crowd just tells me my statements are making you think you made a bad decision giving up your GENI or GENII VIPER for an srt. Tuff $hit. Go check your brake pedals...or don't. :D

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nice. If I ever decide to own another Gen II..which one day I probably will, I will perhaps purchase a 96 or 97 model. It must be blue and white. I have always wanted one, but I didn't want to buy an older car. Now that I look at it, I see that it is the car and color combo that made me fall in love with Vipers all together. Long live all Gens of Vipers. I love them all.

I'm 110% with you on that one...I was in grade 6 when the blue/white striped Viper came out and have wanted it ever since. There was one Viper...a lawyer or something had it...I used to beg my dad to drive by his office just so I can see it daily :eek: Then one day I heard a civic smashed into it and I never saw it again so I guess the rumor was true. He didn't replace it with another Viper either :( . I've always wanted that blue/white stripe Viper and hopefully will get one within the next 2-3 years before they are next to impossible to find! (I've loved the Viper over all ever since it came out back in 93...I was in grade 3!!) 11 Years later I bought a brand new one :D :D

Ricky :smirk:

Chuck B 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be singled out of a three page thread to be attacked by the GENIII crowd just tells me my statements are making you think you made a bad decision giving up your GENI or GENII VIPER for an srt. Tuff $hit. Go check your brake pedals...or don't. :D
:cool: :eek: :laugh:

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are missing the point,you will have to be an idiot not to recognize/accept the fact that the SRT is a "better" car (handling,brake,HP,etc) but,the thread was not about which car is "better" but about which car will retain it's value better,be more collectible in the future.

Very few peoples will argue that the GTS look better/has a better,more balanced/classic design and that is/was the basis for the argument than the GTS will be the more desirable in the future.

Luc.00GTS

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They may be correct. I however think the 1992 will be the most sought after, with the exception of very limited models such as the GTS/R.

The other point is that they seem to think they will be gaining 500,000 in value in 10 to 15 years. That is absurd given the quantity on the road and the way that the majority are maintained. Finding a pristine original RT/10 or GTS is not difficult. And when it comes to collectability supply and demand is the rule. As much supply exists it is difficult to perceive 15,000 cars worth a half mil. As such I expect that the values will dip slightly when the SRT coupe comes out (similar to how the RT/10 dipped when the SRT came out, and then be steady and start gaining. But for the normal GTS models, like the normal RT/10 I do not expect the values to get into the stratosphere. Hey in 30 years they may not even be allowed on the streets for all we know now.

One other thing I cannot understand is why the GTS crowd thinks the GTS is "the icon." To me the RT/10 will always be the original Viper and the GTS a later hardtop version of it. With most other cars the convertible/roadster version maintains a higher value than the hardtop version, regardless of race history (but it should be noted the RT/10 raced at LeMan before the GTS was born).

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They may be correct. I however think the 1992 will be the most sought after, with the exception of very limited models such as the GTS/R.

The other point is that they seem to think they will be gaining 500,000 in value in 10 to 15 years. That is absurd given the quantity on the road and the way that the majority are maintained. Finding a pristine original RT/10 or GTS is not difficult. And when it comes to collectability supply and demand is the rule. As much supply exists it is difficult to perceive 15,000 cars worth a half mil. As such I expect that the values will dip slightly when the SRT coupe comes out (similar to how the RT/10 dipped when the SRT came out, and then be steady and start gaining. But for the normal GTS models, like the normal RT/10 I do not expect the values to get into the stratosphere. Hey in 30 years they may not even be allowed on the streets for all we know now.

One other thing I cannot understand is why the GTS crowd thinks the GTS is "the icon." To me the RT/10 will always be the original Viper and the GTS a later hardtop version of it. With most other cars the convertible/roadster version maintains a higher value than the hardtop version, regardless of race history (but it should be noted the RT/10 raced at LeMan before the GTS was born).

Nice to see a man with a brain on this board sometimes....

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice to see a man with a brain on this board sometimes....

That is one of the rewards of SRT ownership :2tu:

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, a "regular" Viper, being a RT,SRT or GTS is never going to be worth $500K, too many of them were build.

frankly,I couldn't care less how much my car will be worth in X many years,I bought it to enjoy it,not as an investement.

Luc.00GTS

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinhyVegas