Comp Coupes resale value?

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the depreciation on Comp Coupes. I'm sure it would depend on wear and tear and mileage but could someone give me a ball park?

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andrew, the reason that people are posting is because it's not an easy question. It depends on many variables. 1) how many hours does the car have on it 2) How many hours does the engine have on it 3) Who took care of the car, how much money was put into taking care of the car, etc. Race cars are not commodities like street cars are. A few months ago, I saw a comp coupe with 50 races on it and a blown engine, go for $100,000. It had been well taken care of byt the best crew in the VRL. On the other hand, I tried to sell my CC with a fairly fresh engine for $110,000, and couldn't find anyone to buy it, so I'm racing the same car again this year. The CC's are most valuable to the guys who who have intentions of racing them on a regular basis.

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Russ, That was my next question. Who am I selling the car too when I decided to sell it. Is it someone from VRL or someone that want to get into VRL? For me, I think a stock OEM CC would keep me happy, without any or many mods. I’m going to be “driving” the car not “racing” it, and so I don’t think my skills will be as sharp as say yours to notice the difference in mods and set-ups. I just want to have a RACE car to drive for a year or so and then sell it and figure out what to do next. So I guess my answer is, I would want a car that will give me the best return when I sell it a year later. Who would be my customer and in what condition would they want the car in?

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone like you would be the potential customer. What condition would you like a CC to be in when you purchase?
Lot of money to be spend just to try it out. I you want to just try racing, i've got a Neon that was set up for World Challange with alot of custom parts. 10K will get you racing.

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like one I could buy low and sell high. I would give it a new paint job and tighten it up if it needed it and I could buy it right because that.

I wonder how a Comp Coupe would sell at a Barret Jackson Auction. I bet most people have never seen the the factory built ready to race, Viper race car.

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are not going to make money on a CC. If you're looking at it with that in mind, you're going down the wrong path.

Sonny 00 GTS ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many of the cars raced in the Viper Racing League and other series are not only prepared well, but look really, really good. But that being said, racing and "polishing" are two very different approaches to car ownership. You can't just run a rag over the car after each race and then sell it at the end of a season for modest loss.

A couple of knowledgeable people have just given you advise on this post;

Russ Oasis not only has a great car collection, he is also a front runner in the VRL. He has been very successful because he has learned not to confuse the two. He pays good money to a support crew to make sure his car is safe and competitive.

Henry and Janni Cone run their races on a budget and in my opinion get the most safety and performance per dollar of any team racing in the VRL.

The best thing I ever did was to listen to advise I received from members of the VRL which resulted in my purchase of a well sorted out Viper. Because I was able to quickly develop confidence in the car, I was able to develop my own skills much faster. I didn't have the background to service the car effectively, so I hired a crew to take care of that part of the equation. That made it easier for me to focus on what my job was: learn to drive the car.

You have many options including renting a ride one event at a time. While that route isn't cheap either, it would at least allow you to have some fun without being tied down to the additional risks and expenses of ownership.

You've obviously heard the answer to the question: "How do you make a small fortune in racing? Start with a large one" This isn't for the faint of heart or wallet. But it is the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Again, Good Luck,

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Sonny,

I'll keep tracking my GTS and see how this year goes. I’m putting some $ into professional training this year. Maybe the dollars will become worth the ( pants on ) thrill.

Thanks everyone for your insight. See you all at VRL Sebring and I hope a few more.

Andrew McGowen

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We'll do. I've got a 2000 GTS #94. Tom Session has done a lot of the work on my car and Bobby Archer did the initial mods.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it was Dan Gurney who was quoted..."I know there is money in racing...I put it there."

Maybe better idea is to buy a sorted out used Comp Coupe, race it for a year, and then resell it. Probably be a better idea than buying new for just a year.

Maybe talk to Skip to see what is available.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it was Dan Gurney who was quoted..."I know there is money in racing...I put it there."

Maybe better idea is to buy a sorted out used Comp Coupe, race it for a year, and then resell it. Probably be a better idea than buying new for just a year.

Maybe talk to Skip to see what is available.

even though this thread is older -

DING DING DING - we have a winner...... A well sorted out used car has value and won't depreciate much at all, as long as it continues to get exposure (read Viper Days or World Challenge) and is well maintained.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS>....NASA or SCCA Comp Coupes are included in this also...