Confused about colors

SnakeDreamer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As an introduction (first post) I'm still very young at 17, but have been as passionate about the viper as most of you guys since before the GTS hit production, and have currently only one life goal: Ownership within 10 years. My career path has shown me lately that my dream <font color="blue">will actually come true</font>, and i have been soaking up as much info as i can possibly take! plus all these pictures you guys post! wow! breathtaking ;)

anyway to get to my point, The first viper i ever layed my eyes on happened to be a 97 GTS (I'm pretty sure this was IN 97 as well) at a local dealerhsip. Everything about it made me squirm...i just can't explain to you all what it felt like for someone, as young as i was, to be standing infront of this car!
It was <font color="red">Red</font> with white stripes...which didn't confuse me at the time, but currently after looking at the Color/Year/Model chart on the VCA main page, it says that Viper Red w/ white stripes is STRICTLY an 02' color for the FE's. But i remember the man at the dealership told me this was a brand new car straight from the factory! The only reason I'm asking is because while looking through a list of 1:18 diecast models, it showed one labeled "1997 GTS Coupe Red w/ white". This got me thinking again about that car.

did any of the first GTS's actually come in that color? or could it have just been painted that color?

Oh and wish me luck guys, because i opened a savings account and currently have a *** of cash sitting in it....it's my Viper fund, and the way I'm going right now...I plan to be an owner withing 5-6 years if everything goes smoothly. I just can't grasp the fact that I will eventually actually live my dream :D

Thanks in advance guys/gals

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Viper discussions!

While I am NO authority on Viper production numbers/color combos, I am fairly certain that there were no red 97 GTS Vipers with factory stripes of ANY color. That said, I have seen MORE than one red GTS( red RT/10) with white stripes that have been painted VERY PROFESSIONALLY...but not by ASC (the company that paints the Viper panels).

Good luck with your goals!!

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Salesman was selling snake oil :)

'97 GTS and RT/10 red, was solid red only. Only striped cars for '97 were blue/white striped GTS and RT/10 (rare).