Convertible option for 2014...???

Kratos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you guys think a convertible option for the gen V's will come in 2014 or maybe 15'? Would love to see this beauty with a dropped top! :headbang:

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Convertible option for 2014....???

thats my dilemma too. but if i hold out a year for the drop top I'll miss out on the launch edition. Unless they do a limited edition vert?

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score

with only 1500 units a year every Viper is limited edition. In the past the number cars were produced in higher numbers or duplicate cars than regular sold orders.

But I understand the reasoning behind a numbered car.

Bruce

OP
OP
K

Kratos

Enthusiast
Reaction score

thats my dilemma too. but if i hold out a year for the drop top I'll miss out on the launch edition. Unless they do a limited edition vert?

Hmm....that's a good point. And plus the fact of the painful wait while you see some on the road. lol

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Boy I hope it 2014. If it is I'm waiting for sure then.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Fingers crossed for a different rear end. Coupe rear does not fit the vert IMO. It looks like an afterthought...because it is

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Fingers crossed for a different rear end. Coupe rear does not fit the vert IMO. It looks like an afterthought...because it is

You will be disappointed then unfortunately. The vert will have the coupe rear end.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yea we've seen the design in a 360 rendering and it's the coupe rear exactly, just pull the roof off and you have the vert. Sorry you're not a fan, it's darn **** IMO.

OP
OP
K

Kratos

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yea we've seen the design in a 360 rendering and it's the coupe rear exactly, just pull the roof off and you have the vert. Sorry you're not a fan, it's darn **** IMO.

Are there any prototype images on the web anywhere? Or maybe even a photoshp job that would predict what it would look like?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

At this time, most likely, even SRT does not know the exact styling cues that will go on any production Verts.

From what I understand they are still watching how the coupe goes, and will be gathering feedback from owners, the press and other sources as to the direction they should go.

At VOI we got a glimpse, but were asked not to take any info out of the room.

There have been several photoshops that simply removed the top, and left the rest of the car untouched. It was spectacular.

Looked like a car I would be proud to drive.

Previous generation Vipers were designed from the beginning to be both Coupe and Vert. Would suspect that with the more solid structure and the addition of the under hood cross bracing, any new Vert would be solid as a rock.

JAY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hope they go with a Targa style and coupe Back end :)

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What Bob and Dman said....you will be disappointed, but most will be happy...

Bill

OP
OP
K

Kratos

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Does a Vert usually add weight or drop weight? I was thinking if it dropped weight, that makes a better power to weight ratio. Of course I know aerodynamics will hold it back some with wind drag.

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Well, if you look at the 4th gen, the weights were pretty much even (coupe weighs 13 lbs more than roadster).
https://www.vipermagazine.com/assets/documents/pdf/summer2010/2010_Dodge_Viper_Specs.pdf
Same is true for the previous generations, weights are really close for both models. So gen V will probably have similar weights as well.
So it just comes down to which body style you prefer.

The previous generations were all designed as verts first so they are going to be a little lighter. Typically, cars that are designed as coupes first and converted to verts will weigh more due to having to strengthen the frame for the lack of roof. The Gen V was designed as a coupe, not a vert, so I would expect it to be a bit heavier in vert form.

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The previous generations were all designed as verts first so they are going to be a little lighter. Typically, cars that are designed as coupes first and converted to verts will weigh more due to having to strengthen the frame for the lack of roof. The Gen V was designed as a coupe, not a vert, so I would expect it to be a bit heavier in vert form.

I don't think the GenV was designed as a coupe. It have virtually the same frame (with mods for strength/weight) as the Gen4 and as you say, that was for a conv. I think the only thing we can say is that the coupe was the first GenV version delivered on that frame.

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I believe that Ralph said somewhere that the two, coupe and convt, were designed/styled together, no afterthought. I think he said, just look at the cut line and you have the convt.

That also means the chassis is plenty stiff for the convt.

As to looks, that is a matter of opinion, in this case. :2tu:

JAY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Would Love to See this Option for the Vert !!! :D:D:D :2tu::2tu::2tu:

Attachments

• 170423[1].jpg
    170423[1].jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 109

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

with only 1500 units a year every Viper is limited edition. In the past the number cars were produced in higher numbers or duplicate cars than regular sold orders.

But I understand the reasoning behind a numbered car.

Bruce

I think Ralph has said they would like to sell in the mid 2000s but can make a profit in the mid teens. IMO the mid 2000s profit level would enable a better investment picture, therefore I'm hoping to see that. What I'm really hoping to do is to contribute to that.:2tu:

OP
OP
K

Kratos

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Would Love to See this Option for the Vert !!! :D:D:D :2tu::2tu::2tu:

I would love a mid top cut like that vs a full open top. It gives you the open feel, but keeps the lines of the car.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I was hoping for an RT10 type design, targa like also, but it's not, it's very much like the gen4, but with the coupe rear and appeared to be aluminum rollbars like a BMW.

There are renderings out there that look dead on to what we saw at VOI, I think there's a magazine based rendering from like a motor trend or another one that's very very close, it's up here somewhere.

OP
OP
K

Kratos

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Is this close to what it may look like......???

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hopfully they don't just chop the roof off like they did with the Gen3/4....a targa like the RT10 is much more exotic looking. Just look at Lambo, Ferrari, Porsche....a roadster needs something behind the driver, to give it form....I know most are Mid engined, but they do give them much better shape than just a straight line from the windscreen back.

Attachments

• lambo-murcielago-L_2248334b.jpg
    lambo-murcielago-L_2248334b.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 6

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Is this close to what it may look like......???

You must be registered for see images attach

Put silver/aluminum roll bars on it and you've got it at 95%+ as far as memory serves.