Convertible Top - Raising and Lowering

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hope this doesn't seem like a silly newbie question. I've had the car a month now, and the weather is getting good, but I STILL haven't had the top down.

Since I didn't get an owner's manual with the car, anybody have a quick tutorial on what unlatches where to lower the top, and any tricks or quirks that I should look out for? I know that the top on my mother's 71 E-Type was tricky, and you can't compare cars built 30 years apart, but I don't want to screw anything up. We won't even talk about the soft top on the Wrangler I used to own!:smirk:

If there's a link someone can point me to, it will be appreciated.

Scott

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put the windows down.
Open the trunk all the way.
Flip the latch at the center of the windshield. Flip it all the way up. there is a little piece that moves that you have to have pushed up with your finger.
Push it all the way down. There is a little latch that will catch on the divers side when it's all the way down.
Close the trunk.

Enjoy the nice weather.

OP
OP
S

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks TowDawg! I wouldn't have thought to open the trunk first. I just don't want to screw anything up with a newbie error.

BolsOut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
-Most important are Windows Down / Trunklid Up. Once you drop the top, make sure it latches in the stowed position, then close the trunk.
:drive:
I almost never drive it with the top up unless its extremely cold and the wifey is near:smirk:

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
-Most important are Windows Down / Trunklid Up. Once you drop the top, make sure it latches in the stowed position, then close the trunk.

Why make sure the top latches in the stowed position? The closed trunk is going to hold it down anyway. I never understood the reason for the latch.

Peter Nielsen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why make sure the top latches in the stowed position? The closed trunk is going to hold it down anyway. I never understood the reason for the latch.

The latch is supposed to keep the top from pressing against the trunk lid and creating visible marks in the top...

Worked fine in my '06, but in the '08 the trunk lid does press on the left side and has created a visible ~3" long mark in the top fabric on the left side...

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, when puting the top up, it is easier, as others have noted, to sit in the passenger seat and pull the top close and latch.

FastestBusaAround

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Takes a bit of getting used to. Getting that center latch locked in place is a pain until you've got a lot of seat time in the car. After that, it's a snap!

GlennSullivan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
:drive:
I almost never drive it with the top up unless its extremely cold and the wifey is near:smirk:

Viper convertibles come with a top?:)
This is my second Viper vert and the only time the top goes up is to wash the car.

10 BANGER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Beware, the latch can vibrate loose and eventually come compltetly off its location. I found that out while trying to open my top and noticed my trunklid would not close. Turned out the latch came off and had gotten caught on the conv. top mechanism, at the same time it cut a hole in my fabric. You'll have to take the bulkhead off to reinstall if you can find the nuts. Mine's still not back in place.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang