coolant flush

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can someone explain a step by step procedure for a coolant flush. Ive read almost everything i can, but cant seem to find a step by step procedure.
I appreciate any help.
Its not that i mind bringing it to Dodge, its that i usually do my own maintainance. Ive just never flushed coolant before.
Thanks again.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
wikkid, there is a ton of info/insights/preferences/shortcuts/opinions/myths posted here on this issue. I have certainly added my own experiences/excuses/opinions/work-arounds as well...particularly early on my learning curve. :)

The term "coolant flush" seems to be used by some folks interchangably with "coolant removal/refill" and by others to express flushing the system with large amounts of water (distilled at my house) while others mean adding a proprietary product to remove certain compounds ( remember the citrate based Prestone flush??...see Prestone.com for some general info).

I should add that I use the OEM recommended Mopar coolants for our Vipers..."3 year formula" in Gen I's and II's...and "5 year formula" in Gen III and IV's. (Yes, I know that there is now a 10 year Mopar coolant...I'm still thinking about it).

I have seen many folks use various procedures to accomplish the job...noting that it is common to see folks skip removing the block plugs out of fear or lack of experience (or laziness)...noting that this step can be quite messy...but well worth the trouble if done carefully. Some generations of Vipers require removing nearby parts or sensors to be thorough, clean, and safe.

I'll GUESS that you have either a Gen III or IV.

If you would like me to pass along a few ideas/suggestions/observations...give me a call as typist I'm not.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone explain a step by step procedure for a coolant flush. Ive read almost everything i can, but cant seem to find a step by step procedure.
I appreciate any help.
Its not that i mind bringing it to Dodge, its that i usually do my own maintainance. Ive just never flushed coolant before.
Thanks again.
Curious why you would think such flush is necessary instead of just replacing the coolant... Did you somehow end up with oil or other contamination in your cooling system?

OP
OP
W

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
wikkid, there is a ton of info/insights/preferences/shortcuts/opinions/myths posted here on this issue. I have certainly added my own experiences/excuses/opinions/work-arounds as well...particularly early on my learning curve. :)

The term "coolant flush" seems to be used by some folks interchangably with "coolant removal/refill" and by others to express flushing the system with large amounts of water (distilled at my house) while others mean adding a proprietary product to remove certain compounds ( remember the citrate based Prestone flush??...see Prestone.com for some general info).

I should add that I use the OEM recommended Mopar coolants for our Vipers..."3 year formula" in Gen I's and II's...and "5 year formula" in Gen III and IV's. (Yes, I know that there is now a 10 year Mopar coolant...I'm still thinking about it).

I have seen many folks use various procedures to accomplish the job...noting that it is common to see folks skip removing the block plugs out of fear or lack of experience (or laziness)...noting that this step can be quite messy...but well worth the trouble if done carefully. Some generations of Vipers require removing nearby parts or sensors to be thorough, clean, and safe.

I'll GUESS that you have either a Gen III or IV.

If you would like me to pass along a few ideas/suggestions/observations...give me a call as typist I'm not.

Thanks Steve. I have looked at many of your responses. I would also drive to one of the tech sessions you guys have 2 times a year. I have a pm to Tom Sessions on this visit he makes this way once in a while.
Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang