correct seating of Brakeman 3 pads ??????????

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone posted it last week and I have searched and searched and cannot find the post. I thought it was Woodhouse or Pemberton. tia, Tony

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Here is the correct method to seed in your Brakeman pads. First take the pads out of the box, and with duct tape attach them to your left and right cheeks - making sure your tidy whiteys are clean and free of all grease. Use three inch wide industrial duct tape to secure pads to posterior and then scoot around the kitchen floor on your heinie --- this is especially dangerous if your special other just waxed said floor. Slide repeatedly until you feel the warmth in yur bum, and when a smile appears on your face you are done, or.................................take your car out and do a repeated stops from 60-80 mph ( hard braking pressure ) to about 10 mph, followed by a cool down of 1/2 to 1 mile and then follow procedure again. Do this 4-5 times with the last cool down lasting for 2-3 miles. Return home, change your underwear , have a smoke, ( beer or wine substitute is acceptable ) , and take a shower - shower optional in Arkansas!

OP
OP

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Bill, I will go take them back off to comply with the first part of your directions then back on for the road stops. tnx, Tony ps these came round about ways from Woodhouse.

OP
OP

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Amazing difference in stopping power between these and the ebc greens....as there should be. Its just that in all my other cars I was always worried about going faster not stopping. Thats what parachutes are for
smile.gif

Tomcat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill, do Brakeman's help on the 01 with antilock you sold me? Darn rain and that work thing, I only have 55 miles on that beauty.

tw

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Absolutely,they work great on the 01's. Alot of us started using them with the older cars,as I personally think they have the most progressive feel in the industry. With the tendency to lock up the right front under heavy braking, it was nice to feel the impending doom thru the pedal and be able to avoid it. The ABS system alleviated most of that , but the pads are still great with the newer cars and they are more rotor friendly than your typical race pad.

gozer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive been using the Brakeman 3 pads on my 2001 and they stop and feel great, especially on the track. Be aware they squeal like crazy and dust alot.

One word of warning, the rears on 2001s have a spring clip on the pad. I've had 2 of the spring clips break off. This has resulted in an intermittent sqeak when the car is moving, no brakes applied. After I replaced the affected pad, the intermittent sqeak disappeared. There does not appear to be any damage to the rotors or surrounding areas, however, it does worry me if this clip falls off during hard braking and gets logded somewhere it shouldnt be.

The stock pads and EBC Greens both have these springs and neither of these have failed (I usually change from Brakeman 3 to Greens between track events).

Good luck,

Ken

OP
OP

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gozer:

One word of warning, the rears on 2001s have a spring clip on
The stock pads and EBC Greens both have these springs and neither of these have failed (I usually change from Brakeman 3 to Greens between track events).

Good luck,

Ken

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ken, Do you sand/prep the rotor when changing back and forth between pads or just swap and don't worry about it? tnx,

Tomcat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Bill and Gozer. Good to know about the spring. I guess the EBC Yellows I have not used that were for my 94rt will not work on my 01, no spring. Are the pads different?

thanks, tw

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom, so you joined the GTS Club? Congrats, did you sell the RT yet?, Pretty soon we will be the GA GTS VCA!

gozer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Ken, Do you sand/prep the rotor when changing back and forth between pads or just swap and don't worry about it? tnx,
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I always scuff the rotors when I change pad compound.

Tomcat,

Its my understanding that the 2001 has a completely different pad, not sure if the compound is different.

Ken

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Compound is the same, and when you get new rotors, keep in mind you should wash them with soap and water ( brush does help). There is a coating coming on virtually all rotors ( enviromental situation or rule ) , so clean this off before using the first time.