Cost of Ownership

wow

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm writing this post after hearing/reading how Viper's aren't worth their weight in gold.(been reading on vette forum)
I purchased my 96gts in 2000 for $52,000. Here's the math:
10 yrs/52000= 5200/yr = 435/month
Can still sell for $35,000 minimum
52,000-35,000 = $17,000 for 10 yrs = 1,700/yr or 141/month

Granted this doesn't include maint. or insurance, but what car doesn't.

Please tell me what high performance/head turning vehicle you can possible purchase for for $141/month.???

kennyhemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm writing this post after hearing/reading how Viper's aren't worth their weight in gold.(been reading on vette forum)
I purchased my 96gts in 2000 for $52,000. Here's the math:
10 yrs/52000= 5200/yr = 435/month
Can still sell for $35,000 minimum
52,000-35,000 = $17,000 for 10 yrs = 1,700/yr or 141/month

Granted this doesn't include maint. or insurance, but what car doesn't.

Please tell me what high performance/head turning vehicle you can possible purchase for for $141/month.???

NONE!! But we already knew that! The more people think it's expensive the less it has a chance of getting vette type status!!

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MUCH MUCH better off being the second owner on ANY HIGHER END LUXURY ITEM in this economy as the person that bought new on current item and has to sell (remove equity ect )is getting destroyed right now.With an older item its a different story partially because ten years ago one could buy a Viper new for 60 k.

QUICKSRT10/SRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
plus vettes are a dime a dozen. you walk down the street and see 10 vettes and no vipers ya know

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny that Vette owners talk about cost of ownership. Those things depreciate significantly quicker than a Viper. A 2005 Vette that stickered for $55K back then (and they did not discount a lot back then because the economy was booming) is now worth around $29K. That's 47% in 5 years, or in your terms that's $433 per month. Tell those Vette guys they don't know how to do math. :lmao:

Also, tell them all Vettes eventually go down to around $10-12K, and only if they are in great shape, they will stay there (unless it is a VERY special model). Also,that tour down to $10-12K is pretty quick and the car better be in outstanding shape to stay at $10-12K. I did extensive research on prices this summer and that is what I found.

I always had a saying that playing the lottery was for people who don't understand math; I guess I could extend that to people who own Vettes and make accusations about how quickly other cars drop in value don't understand math.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For me it will be a very good deal also. 2000 RT/10 bought in 2004 for $49k. It will be sold the day I die for whatever. :rip:I was 32 when I bought it and hope to live to at least 85. My costs will be less than $100/mth and my wife will still be able to get something for it.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even at $300 or $400 a month for a car habit, it's pretty cheap compared to a lot of other hobbies or forms of entertainment. I know people that own boats or planes and they spend a heck of a lot more than that. I guess it all depends on how you look at it - and at the end of the day it's the enjoyment that matters.

Viper #53

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A major overlooked item is yearly maintenance costs. My '92 RT/10 has required very little maintenance (besides oil changes and wear/tear items like wheels, lube, etc.) A Ferrari and Aston Martin cost a minimum of $3500-$5000K a year. They are fantastic vehicles but accessibility, scarcity of parts/part suppliers outside of factory, use of belts instead of chains (not Aston) require yearly expensive maintenance schedules. I turn the key and go on my RT/10. Have so since I purchased it in early 1995. It sits next to my Aston (which I really like) but they are very different animals.

James

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Comparing Vette to Viper value. A 93-96 RT/10 Viper is stil worth $25K-$30K. a 93-96 Corvette is worth exactly half of that. Back in 1993 a Viper cost only slightly more than a Corvette not double......

Skunk Works

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am hoping to get into a Viper as well in the near future. I have always had a deep love for the RT10 and then the GTS came out and that was the car I said "I will own one of those one day..." and that day is not as far off now.

I like Vettes, but I like the Z06 currently, and even used they are $40K and everywhere I go in town. Now the Viper, I maybe see a handful a year so it is astronomically different.

I do not want one to race, but to have, enjoy and occasional spirited drive, and go to some shows and cruises with the local guys.

For frame of reference, I used to have a 99 Firebird with about 450HP at the crank, so I still have a bit of a go fast bug in me, but I really have been looking into the cost of ownership of a Viper as well. So far, what I have been reading has not scared me away, so to me that is a huge plus.

Great thread!

HHI VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am hoping to get into a Viper as well in the near future. I have always had a deep love for the RT10 and then the GTS came out and that was the car I said "I will own one of those one day..." and that day is not as far off now.

I like Vettes, but I like the Z06 currently, and even used they are $40K and everywhere I go in town. Now the Viper, I maybe see a handful a year so it is astronomically different.

I do not want one to race, but to have, enjoy and occasional spirited drive, and go to some shows and cruises with the local guys.

For frame of reference, I used to have a 99 Firebird with about 450HP at the crank, so I still have a bit of a go fast bug in me, but I really have been looking into the cost of ownership of a Viper as well. So far, what I have been reading has not scared me away, so to me that is a huge plus.

Great thread!
Guaranteed, in most neighborhoods you'll find a Vette. "Almost" guaranteed, you won't have another Viper in that neighborhood or anywhere near. Bottom line is, like most will agree, "drive what you like"! I've had Vette's and Porsche's and also others but nothing makes me grin like the Viper does!! :2tu: Get alot more thumbs up from passers by too! True on the above statement too, "most" Vette's bottom out around 10k-15k in good shape and lower miles. You will still pay 15k-20k for a wrecked/rebuildable Viper in most cases from what I've seen. Nuff Said!