A Series Of Unfortunate Events (dyno)

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before I begin please forgive the spelling.

Oct 10 - Quartermile racing and engine runs rough. Car goes to dealership.

Nov 10 - I take a one month vacation 7k miles away from home.

Nov 10 - I return and my car is still at the dealership and nothing has happenned. They ask me to come look at the car. The manager shows me how my arrow roller rocker nut has unscrewed its self and fell down above the head gasket. Because the roller rocker is aftermarket my warranty will not cover the expense. I state that the rockers were purchased from Arrow Racing as Chrysler parts and installed by a Dodge dealership when the engine was rebuilt under warranty as one of the early 03's tha had engine failure.

Dec 10 - I get in contact with Chysler warranty who turns down my case as the California Dodge dealership who installed the rockers is no longer in buisness and no paperwork is available. I then get in contact with Arrow Racing who states they do not warranty the rockers and no longer sell them as several Vipers with the Arrow rockers have had similar breakage. Arrow racing sends me a replacement rocker free of charge.

Seeing that it will not be covered under warranty I give in and say "How much?" to the dealership. 1400$ to pull the heads and find the roller rocker bolt.

The dealership and I then agree to order the comp coupe camshaft and supporting seals, etc to be installed while they are pulling the heads. So 1000$ for parts and 1400$ for the labor. Might as well get somthing for my 1400$ other then a roller rocker bolt found. And the camshaft etc. was ordered.

Jan 11 - The camshaft and seals arrive and I take all parts to the dealer. A week goes by and I show up unannouced asking what the progress is. The manager tells me that there is a problem and that they recently got a new boss and he will not allow them to install my comp coupe camshaft. "We had a deal" I stated, and besides these are all genuine mopar parts including the camshaft. "Well we no longer install Mopar parts."

At this point my engine was already taken apart with pieces just laying on the engine and various bolts etc unlabeled in different boxes. The dealership then told me to tow my viper 50 miles away to a dealership that did install Mopar parts.

Let me get this straight. Your renegging on our deal and asking me to spend 300$ Dollars to tow my viper with parts just laying on the engine and bolts all over the place?

"Yes, but we wont charge you for anything weve done." My car has been here 4 months and you didnt do anything. How could you charge me!

At this point I inspected my filthy Viper and observed that the windows were not sealed completely and when I opened the doors I saw mildew in the interior and the carpets were completely soaked.

Moments later as calmly as I could I told them I was coming back with a Lawyer.

The manager then gave me the number for the head honcho who seemed to really appreciate muscle cars. We talked for 10 minutes and I went over the series of unfortunate events.

24 hours later he asked me to Come by the dealership. He then explained that they had found my roller rocker bolt and put everything back together. They had also installed my Abs yellow wire and new spark plugs and the viper was running perfectly. They also had my interior cleaned and professionally dried. He stated the water had entered because his mechanics had disconnected the battery and forgotten that my windows drop up and down a 1/4 inch when the doors are opened and closed. He also had the Viper clay-barred.

This was all done at 100% no charge to me. I inspected the car and saw the exterior looked better than ever and the interior was normal. He said luckily the viper has plastic under the carpet that kept the car from being damaged. He then gave me the number to a Dodge dealership who would install the 1000$ worth of camshaft and seals I still had.

Feb 11 - The other dealership finally gets back to me with a price for the cam install and says it's a 14 hour job and they charge 100$ an hour. But because its a viper and only his Viper technicians will touch the car and their gonna take their time so it will take them 25 hours instead of the books 14 hours and the price is 2500$.

Needless to say the guy was a real peice of work and I said no thanks and decided to stay away from the dealerships and took the car and parts to a local shop who had worked on my previous vette/nsx and viper.

They said 1400$ with before and after dynoes and AFR reading. The date was scheduled for 24 Feb. 5hen resceduled to 28 Feb. Then resheduled again as jobs kept takeing them longer than anticipated.

Mar 11 - Few days ago my car finally made it to the shop.

This is the same shop were I hit 457 rwhp with just kn air intake and arrow rockers.

Then 476 rwhp with a stock intake (long story why I went back to stock intake)/ arrow rockers/titanium exhaust/ no cats/light weight fly wheel/light weight underdrive pulley and a sct tune from a vender here. Fast forward to a few days ago and I redynoed with all the above mods with the only change being that I went from the venders canned one size fits all tune to a differant venders tune specifically for my modifications and Abs wires and new plugs.

The result was a disapointing 452 rwhp SAE. A loss of 24 rwhp from the previous venders canned tune of 476 rwhp SAE.

Then installed a KN filter intake system and kooler thermostat. The result was 461 rwhp sae. Still 15 rwhp under my previous 476.

Then the comp coupe camshaft was installed today and the result was a still disapointing 466 rwhp.

You can imagine haveing 476 rwhp and installing a kn air intake and new plugs and wires and kooler thermostat and mild cam and dynoing 466 rwhp on the same dyno.

Dissapointed doesn't come close. But their may be a light at the end of the tunnel as the wideband dyno will be done tomorrow to see what the problem is. There seemed to be some confusion over wich camshaft I was having installed between me and the sct tuner as I was gonna cancel the comp coupe cam for a more aggressive cam but was gonna be screwed on the 30% restocking fee and decided to push forward with it. Last time I talked to the tuner it seemed he thought I went with the much more aggressive Camshaft.

Please no reason to say who my previous sct tuner was and current sct tuner is. They both have great reputations and are great at what they do and Im sure if the A/F isnt right a new tune will be sent to me pronto for a new dyno.

Hopefully all resolved with the wideband dyno tomorrow and I can get the 490-500 RWHP I was expecting.

ITS BEEN A HELL OF A ROCKY RIDE SINCE OCT10!

Last edited by a moderator:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol, we know who the tuners are...

stinks to hear this, thats a lot of BS you dealt with. its a shame you dont have a local guy there you can trust to work on your car for stuff like this and then let the tuner tune it over the phone.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a ride....How's the ulcer doing? ;)

And...I cleaned up a bit for you. Were you posting from your phone or something?

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand the frustration with adding mods and not getting the power you want. As you know by now you don't get the advertised power when you keep adding mods. 1+1 never equals 2 in that equation (especially in the N/A world). It all comes down to the tune and getting every bit of safe HP/TQ out of your setup. If I was to add up all the advertised HP gains I was supposed to get for each modification I would be putting another 50hp or more down;). The above story just *****!! What a headache but glad to hear the dealership made good on the cleanup of there mess for you.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have headers on the car? If not, that could be a reason the cam didn't show any gains. It seems most cars need them to realize the full benefit of a bigger cam.

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jeez, that's a long story and I actually read the whole thing.

Hope you find out what's up and get some real gain.

boy wonder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Were all the pulls done in SAE?.
If not that could account for some difference. I have had tuners try to make the results look better by not using SAE.

Robin
:)

commandomatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Twister,

What made you decide to re-install the Arrow rockers ? The one in your car failed and after talking to Arrow they told you that they didnt offer them for Vipers any longer due to similar failures.

Just sounds risky to me if there is a known issue with the rockers in that application.

Matt

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Twister,

Can you post what brand of rockers were the problem so others with the same came be on the lookout?

You really need to dyno tune the car for max benefit....emailed tunes will never be able to approach something like with DC Perf can do if they had your car on the dyno.

Good luck,
George

ScrewDrvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
at least you got taken care of after the initial problems at the dealership.

VIPER R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the reason many people install the Paxton. Hard to beat the basic dependability and performance gains.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry if I missed this if stated above (on phone)...

Did you run your car before and after the mods on the same dyno? Were the temps outside the same?

As you know, different dynos give different reading....:dunno:

Good Luck!!!!

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
1. Glad you got everything running again.

2. Frustrated I can't pick on you for not telling us what happened.

Good luck with the car being back together.

Andy

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dealerships just ****.

They dont work on modded performance cars and they will give you a hard time. Even is something major goes is the dealership the one you really want putting your Viper back together regardless if its a potential warranty issue? You changed your rockers, so why do you expect the dealer to handle that fix. I just dont get it.

You've been around cars long enough to know that... What can go wrong will go wrong, and you and I have seen it before so only a viper authority can get you the best chance of maximixing gains and minimizing risk and have the situation work out better.

And why are you messing around with 10-20-30 measly hp. Go get something a bit more serious done to your Viper...Seems that what you want expecially always talking about hp numbers.

You already blowing your *** and time on simple stuff and problems with much satisfaction.

Go to the right shop, get the right mods and have something to feel good about.

Last edited:

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like Gen 2 numbers. My 03 was 492 with headers, t-stat, no tune and no cats. Those numbers **** big time. I'd be devistated enough to ******** my helmet cam and find an active volcano.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are running a generic tune that hasn't been adjusted using your afr's from your dyno run, there could still be alot of power left on the table. Its not tuned right if you af isn't lined out.

That's probably where your power loss is. As mentioned above, get some headers. Your motor needs it to breathe better with the more aggressive cam.

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Were all the pulls done in SAE?.
If not that could account for some difference. I have had tuners try to make the results look better by not using SAE.

Robin
:)

Yes. All pulls done on the same dyno and all SAE. Hawaii weather is pretty consistent

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That *****... sorry to hear about your troubles.

How does the car feel? Does it feel the same or does it feel down on power?

I wouldn't be too concerned with chasing a dyno "number". Something to look at is the power under the curve... any improvements or where they lower across the board over your previous numbers?

They should be able to overlay your two graphs.

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
UPDATE

We did a AFR pull and the number was a disapointing 454 rwhp sae, down 12 rwhp from yesterdays 466 rwhp though a hot engine was likely the reason.. The air to fuel ratio was 12.5. The shop owner stated that the ratio wasnt too bad and that with tuneing we could maybe squeeze out another 10-15 rwhp.

He's been a friend for ten years and has even given my children toys ect. He saw my frustration and said..

HEY, LETS LOAD THE OEM STOCK TUNE AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS

The engine was very hot from just completeing the AFR pull only 5 minutes before and we conducted the stock oem tune dyno pull.

467 rwhp sae. Better than any pull we had done with the new sct tune. And 13 rwhp above the 454 rwhp we had just gotten with the sct tune.

We let the car kool down and the result was 473 rwhp sae on the stock oem tune.

IWas glad to see that their was nothing wrong with my car and it was the new sct tune that was holding it back. Im gonna get in contact with the first vender who did my sct tune to resend it and redyno

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Twister,

What made you decide to re-install the Arrow rockers ? The one in your car failed and after talking to Arrow they told you that they didnt offer them for Vipers any longer due to similar failures.

Just sounds risky to me if there is a known issue with the rockers in that application.

Matt

I DECIDED TO PULL THE VALVE COVERS ONCE A YEAR AND RETORQUE THE 'ARROW ROCKERS', limited skills but I think it will be fun to learn

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have headers on the car? If not, that could be a reason the cam didn't show any gains. It seems most cars need them to realize the full benefit of a bigger cam.

Current mods

stock tune (until the origional sct vender tune is re-sentt)
arrow roller rockers
titanium exhaust
no cats
findanza lightweight fly wheel
light weight under drive pully
KN air intake
Abs wires
roe racing kooler thermostat
competition coupe camshaft

For a mind blowing 473 rwhp sae. J/K

I really think that with the origional venders sct tune resent the dyno may be around 485-495 rwhp. I could live with that for now. Ill get in contact with that vender tomorrow

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry I keep posting but the way the comp coupe feels is totally differant than the stock cam. I mean like differant car differant.

To much to explain here and I will start another topic on that

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That *****... sorry to hear about your troubles.

How does the car feel? Does it feel the same or does it feel down on power?

I wouldn't be too concerned with chasing a dyno "number". Something to look at is the power under the curve... any improvements or where they lower across the board over your previous numbers?

They should be able to overlay your two graphs.

ITS INTERESTING YOU SHOULD SAY THIS. When the car was 454 rwhp it felt faster to me than the previous 476 rwhp. 5he afr showed that the car was tuned agressively down low but weaker up high.

I raced a 2011 gallardo superaleggera 570 recently. Acording to the specs it is a 11.0 car at 129 mph. meaning it should just destroy a 454 rwhp viper thatt would be lucky to trap 123 mph in the 1/4 mile. But what really happened is I beat him the first run and then he got me by a carlength.

Same thing with a turbo 540 rwhp s2k I recently raced. Dyno states I only had 454 Rwhp and should have been destroyed but we tied

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950