Coupe or Convertible - That is the question? Opinions Please...

JeremyS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have already owned an RT-10 convertible. I loved it, thought it was great. I had to sell it when the kids came. I am now ready (nine years later) to buy another Viper. I was really set on a black convertible SRT-10 then i got this craving for the SRT-10 coupe (one of the 200 blue w/ white stripes.) I don't want to make a rash decision. I need help. I know everyone has their own opinions, likes and dislikes but I'm gonna ask anyway.... What should I do? What should I get? ... and the answer "both" just won't work! HELP!!! Opinions?

OP
OP
J

JeremyS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What about the Slate Grey color? Has anyone seen it in person? In the light? Does it have a bit of a "purple-ish" tint in the sun? I looked at one in Virginia... I looked at it in the light and it seemed to have a little purple to it. Do any of you agree? Disagree?

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Easy decision - go with the vert and get one of the aftermarket hardtops. Jeff Lemke's top looks pretty cool and there was another post with a pretty interesting top that replaces the trunk when wanted that looks very much like a coupe. Way I look at it is you can always add a hardtop - but you can never lose the top with a coupe.

Just my $0.02 worth.

OP
OP
J

JeremyS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My wife's big concern is #1 I'll get bored of the color after a while (I doubt that.. it is THE classic color!!!) Her point #2 is a little more serious. Will I long for the top down when it is a beautiful day? That IS possible. But the blue w/ white stripes is SOOOO hot!!!!!!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a fan of convertibles. I like the RT/10 because of the sport bar, without it the Viper loses a lot. I'm looking at the coupe for 08 or 09.

OP
OP
J

JeremyS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
By the way, Newport Viper... Thank You. I appreciate the welcome back into the family! Really, I do! Thanks. I look forward to going to the meets and talking with all the other guys who LOVE Vipers like I do. I plan on buying my car within the next couple of weeks. I just don't know which one to buy :-(

OP
OP
J

JeremyS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I live in Baltimore... I have decent convertible weather maybe 3 months out of the year. The rest of the year is always a crap shoot.

rblong

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought the vert - black with silver stripes - I love driving it both ways. As stated earlier you can get some nice aftermarket hardtops and they come painted to match - so you can still have a vert, and then a hard top with matching stripes. I have been told that there is a slight bit more helmet room in the coup, but I am 6'1" and have occasion to helmet several times with no problems.

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A convertible is the ONLY way to go.

I live in IA and used to live in NH, even this far north, the convertible is SO MUCH more fun. I have found the Viper is comfortable with the top down as in temperatures as low as 40 F if you wear driving gloves.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since you owned a RT-10 already, let me say the vert top on the new car is a million times better. Will feel like a coupe, compared to the Gen1-2 vert.

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since you owned a RT-10 already, let me say the vert top on the new car is a million times better. Will feel like a coupe, compared to the Gen1-2 vert.

I agree. The top down on a nice day would be very difficult to live without. The new soft top is so good it makes the choice much easier.

Jeff

gtssnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jeremy,
I am selling my slate/silver striped coupe. It is 1 of 14 made.
The color is absolutely beautiful and in the sun you see alot colors in it.
It has 423 miles and I am only 3 hours from you in Lower NY/NJ area.
PM if interested

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in Baltimore... I have decent convertible weather maybe 3 months out of the year. The rest of the year is always a crap shoot.

3 Months?! Ya gotta be kidding, I live in Severna park, (Baltimore Area) I bought my 06 Convertible in April, put the top down the day of delivery and did not put it up again till I stored it in Dec.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find the best time to drive my my 04 is during the cooler days. At 40 or 50 degrees the air is great. I take the top down whenever I can and I live in NY. I had it down on a 35 degree sunny day which was a bit much but still really nice.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm fortunate to have both. If I could only have 1 I'd get a vert and buy a hardtop, those Gen III hardtop's look great and give you options for both drivng year round and open track days

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think my O8 will have to be a Coupe, but I think the vert has a better “chopped top” stance, and the top is optional but, if your going to track the car go with the coupe.

4030DSC02712.JPG

403011slate_7-med.jpg

Les Quam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Obviously there is no wrong answer, my thoughts are that given the limited amount of top down weather in Baltimore compared to say a warmer climate unless you are a true hardy soul who enjoys the cooler weather the coupe is the way to go and the blue/white combo is a Viper classic color combo.

Although there is a lot to be said for the original get back to your roots, Viper/ Shelby Cobra mystique of a honking big block torque monster with the top down.
My two cents.

Back-In-Black

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I struggled with this question for a long time. This was my rationale...

Coupe is better looking
Coupe is more stable
Coupe is better in poor weather
Coupe is quieter at high speeds (than top up on vert)
Coupe is Track/Strip friendly
Coupe can never be a Vert

BUT...
Vert is sexier
Vert is stable enough
Vert is superior in moderate to excellent weather
Vert passengers will be happier (Wife Factor)
Vert can become a Coupe

I bought the Vert

Hayabusa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Currently own Black Mamba and love the vert. Previously was a Vette owner (had 4 over time) and when I sold a vert and got a targa I missed the top down terribly. Every time I lust for a blue w/ white stripes or white w/ blue stripes SRT coupe my wife reminds me of the Vette experience and I sober up.

If you want my Mamba I know where there is a white w/ blue coupe that caught my eye and ... :nana: there I go again.

Seriously, I've driven both and prefer the vert. I live in Northwest New Jersey and you can drive top down from March to November some years. This year I was top down in December during our warm spell and it was fine with heat on feet and windows up.

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i prefer the vert. whats the point of having a sports car if you are enclosed in it like a sedan? if u want to go coupe get the autoform top for $3500.

Timmer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a Gen I and a Gen II convertible and loved them both. However, the new Coupes look so much nicer than the convertibles (in my opinion).

I definitely miss the convertible but would not part with the coupe for anything.

How do you say no to this...

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about this:

Most, if not all, car manufacturers charge a premium for the convertible options. Vipers cost the same, Coupe or Vert.

Does the public see the Vert as a more expensive Viper, to the Coupe?

Not sure it matters.