Couple of Nitrous questions

ukviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought a nice NX system from a forum member and have a couple of Nitrous questions.

1) I see a bunch of people have dual bottle set ups, is there an advantage to that?

2) What did everyone do for placement for the arming/purge/bottle opening switches? The set up I bought comes with a modified ashtray to mount them, but was looking for a more "stealth" alternative idea.

cheers
Nick

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dual bottles help keep the pressure where you want it and its less trips to the store for more. it gives you twice the volume obviously.

a VEC2 does a great job at handling the nitrous. it can be setup to do the WOT and RPM switch. then tuning is also easy with it. i loved mine with it. wouldnt even consider anything else to be honest. and thats partly why i dont have nitrous hooked up on mine now....

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a nice NX system from a forum member and have a couple of Nitrous questions.

1) I see a bunch of people have dual bottle set ups, is there an advantage to that?

One tank will NOT last long, especially if you go with 200 or bigger levels. Single tank is simple to set up, mounting and hooking up the warmer. GET a bottle warmer!!! Duals are twice the plumbing and electrical work, but it's pretty straight forward.

2) What did everyone do for placement for the arming/purge/bottle opening switches? The set up I bought comes with a modified ashtray to mount them, but was looking for a more "stealth" alternative idea.

FORGET the bottle openers. Sometimes they do open, sometimes they will not, you'll never know if it is open or not (fully). I opened the talk valves before every drive, you never know when you need the NX.... This way my bottle heaters kicked in immediately too. I had a simple "button" in ashtray for purging and routed dual sprayers (NOS brand) on each "corner" of the facia opening. This way it looked like a mad bull when purging. The activator switch was also in ashtray. Let me know if I can help in any other way... I'm not a NX guru, but I did sleep at Holiday Inn last night.... and used 30 twin tanks of NX.

Nick, PM me your e-mail and I'll send you bunch of pictures of my old set up. If nothing else, you'll get some ideas from it.

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey Redenuf, could you email me those pics too
I'm still setting my system up and haven't decided where to mount everything
you have a PM

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some general guidlelines:

1. A pressure transducer is a far better way to maintain bottle pressure versus a thermostat controlled heater.

2. If you want to get serious about bottle pressure at the track especially when it is cool, you can use a heater blanket with both a 12V and 120V input. When you are waiting at the track you can keep the bottle at pressure with the 120V feed. It also heats the bottle in about 25% of the time that the 12V takes.

3. A bottle opener is a mixed bag, but, the only type you should use is the type that actually turns the OEM bottle valve. Dynotune has a very nice bottle opener as well as a nice combo nitrous switch pod (heater/nitrous on/bottle open)

4. If you use a bottle opener it s best to also monitor bottle pressure in the cabin via a transducer and pressure gauge.

5. As far the bottle issue. I use a 15 lb bottle. I don't think you can get two into the viper. When the bottle gets down to about 40% the performance starts to fall off. I use 2.5 lbs per 1/4 mile pass. I prefer the 15 over two 10's because of the spare bottle issue. At the strip due to time trials and eliminations you usually need a bottle change. Maintaining four bottles is a nightmare. You could also have a battery issue with the two heaters.

6. The perfect nitrous set up always keeps the the lines straight, temperatures low and never has an increase in line/fitting diameter as you move forward. when you disregard those rules the nitrous starts turning to gas and that is not good for performance. One way to keep the line temp down is to use the black insulated nitrous line. It is also tough to follow those rules with dual botles.

7. As was stated the VEC is the perfect nitrous tool, I use a WOT switch in series with the VEC switch set at 3000 rpm, in addition, there is a fuel pressure switch in series with the last two switches.

Once you get the perfect a/f (11.0 for nitrous) you will find that the a/f starts dropping at about 3/4 of the way down the strip. This is due to bottle pressure dropping, this can be offset with the vec by tuning the a/f. Some progressive controllers also have a feature that can limit the fuel solenoid in fourth gear.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To fit the bottle properly I think 15 is biggest, remember that the pickup tube inside tank should face towards the back of the car, so sideways may not be the best possible set up. (in order to insure proper feed of NX when accelerating.)

OP
OP
U

ukviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nick, I have forwarded you about 30 pictures.

Thanks man. I picked up a second bottle this weekend, will have to paint it red now to match the first one so no big deal.
I guess the first item on the to do list is to find a nice dual bracket and make a board for the bottles to mount on for the trunk.

Nick

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks man. I picked up a second bottle this weekend, will have to paint it red now to match the first one so no big deal.
I guess the first item on the to do list is to find a nice dual bracket and make a board for the bottles to mount on for the trunk.

Nick

I found my bracket on Flea bay, really nice dual, about 300 bucks... Not the same as below, but similar..
eBay Motors: Aerospace Components Billet Dual Nitrous Bottle Bracket (item 330290724253 end time Jan-29-09 06:29:03 PST)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale04SS