CRANKSHAFT SEAL REMOVAL??

cayman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I noticed shortly after installing the Roe SC, I developed a small leak coming from the front of the motor. My guess is, during my pinning of the crankshaft to the balancer, I somehow tweaked or upset the crankshaft seal. I was very careful about drilling depths when I drilled the holes for the pins as I know there were warnings about going too deep with them. After crawling under her, it does appear the oil is just under the harmonic balancer. I did notice some on and around the oil filter and I'm not ruling out a possible bad filter seal but my money is on the crankshaft seal. I know you need a universal puller to get the balancer off once you remove the pulley and the big@ss 250 ft/lb. center bolt, but is there room to do this? The book shows this but the pics were with the motor out of the car. Also, I would need a seal puller once I get there and I was wondering about room in front of the area to do this as well. Thanks for any advice! :confused:

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no way you hurt that seal by pinning the crank. It "possibly" could be coming out thru the roll pin hole. I would clean everything real good and try to find it when it's fresh. Dye would be nice to use if the oil is real clean.

OP
OP
C

cayman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There is no way you hurt that seal by pinning the crank. It "possibly" could be coming out thru the roll pin hole. I would clean everything real good and try to find it when it's fresh. Dye would be nice to use if the oil is real clean.

Thanks. I hope this isn't the source of the leak and as I said before, I thought I was careful not to drill too deep when pinning the crank but I guess anything is possible. If it <u>is</u> leaking through one of the pin holes, how can I fix it without it becoming a major ordeal?

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Mike,
Tony is right that pinning should not be the cause, but now that you've added the SC you have increased your crankcase pressors! Since I have now installed 96 Roe blowers I have had a few blow some gaskets! I'm thinking timing chain cover gasket? Best thing to do like Tony said, wash all the oil off [starting fluid works the best] and go for a five mile romp and then look again and you should be able to find the point of origin of the leak?

OP
OP
C

cayman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Mike,
Tony is right that pinning should not be the cause, but now that you've added the SC you have increased your crankcase pressors! Since I have now installed 96 Roe blowers I have had a few blow some gaskets! I'm thinking timing chain cover gasket? Best thing to do like Tony said, wash all the oil off [starting fluid works the best] and go for a five mile romp and then look again and you should be able to find the point of origin of the leak?

Thanks Chuck. It's not a bad leak but annoying none the less for a car with less than 14,000 on it. I thought about the increased pressure as you mentioned. I'll do what you guys recommend. I'm not ruling out the oil filter gasket either as there appears to be some fresh oil on top of the rim of the filter. I know how leaks can migrate and get blown around. What appears to be the source of the leak may turn out not to be and the actual leak may be coming from somewhere way the hell from where you thought!
Thanks Tony and Chuck! :2tu:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06Quad