Crashing the corvette party

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had to represent the Viper club at the local Corvette meet at the dragway. In attendance were genXgts, Motor City Madman and myself.

Times were ok and could have been better, but I hear it's a slow track. Ryan and I got 12.4s (my all time best run so far is a 12.46 gotten last night), Sean actually got into the 12.3s.

Not too bad considering the best the vette boys in their Z06s could do was 12.9s on their best runs. A couple were tweaked that gave a run for the money, (I even had to hang my head in shame as I lost to one with slicks - and other items I'm sure) and all in all great fun.

I have some video to post, but I don't know how, so if anyone would be so kind...

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brett and Ryan, great fun last night wasn't it. The guys on the vette forum said they will post some videos and pics to their website and maybe if we can figure it out we'll post some of yours and Ryans. I would just love for all the guys out there running on the really nice tracks like Englishtown and those fast Texas and Florida tracks to run at Milan Dragway in Michigan just once. You'll probably be so frustrated you'll quit dragracing all together.
supergrin.gif
They've never heard of track prep.
supergrin.gif

I managed a 12.3 with a 2.007 60' time on my 2nd run of the night and then track conditions got really bad. To the extent that several times after I shifted into 2nd, my back end flung out and I started fish-tailing VERY badly. Had to let off the gas. Almost thought I was going to come across into the other lane and hit you that one time Brett. Unfortunately on 2 or 3 of those runs like that I got beat by some of the faster Vettes. Oh well.

You and Ryan did great considering the track conditions, your 500 pounds of stereo equipment, and Ryan being all stock.
supergrin.gif

If you guys ran at a track like Englishtown we'd all be in the 11's on our street tires. You both managed to beat me once or twice even with my mod list as long as my arm.
supergrin.gif

The guy with the 2003 Cobra that dynoed at 496 hp only got a best of 13.2 the 3 times I saw him run. The majority of the Corvette Zo6's I saw were running 12.9's to 13.2's I think and some were running drag radials to our street tires. I'm sure some of the Vette guys will read this forum too. All in all it was good fun, although I have never got that many yellow slips in my life. I am sure we got some great Viper vs. Viper videos.

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 2tall:

Times were ok and could have been better, but I hear it's a slow track. Ryan and I got 12.4s (my all time best run so far is a 12.46 gotten last night), Sean actually got into the 12.3s.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brett, I checked my time slips and that 12.463 you ran was against me, the Motor City Mad Man himself. That's the run when I almost lost it when I shifted into 2nd and came a foot from crossing over into your lane after I started fish-tailing wildly. Let off the gas big time when that happened.
eek.gif
I ended up with a 12.93 on that run
frown.gif
, Maybe Ryan or your fiance got it on tape. Nice track conditions huh?
rolleyes.gif

Actually I think some of the Z06 guys were running 12.5's or so-but I do believe they were using drag radials to our street tires. My hats off to them though. For once I was at a private track rental where almost everyone was fast.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last night was a blast, this kinda stuff has to happen more often!
After getting a chance to go over the time slips I ran 15 times for the night, 14 in my own car, 1 in Bretts. Of my 14 I lost 2 times, 1 time to each of you guys.
That leaves 12 wins against 12 Corvettes! oh yeah, guess I lucked out, a few of my better 12.4 and 12.5 runs were against the heavy hitter Vettes.

I have on tape myself taking on the supercharged Black pseudo Z06, which I think had drag radials, and eeked him out by .1 after playing catch up on street radials.
I do not have on tape the run against the Red Z06 that had different rear rims with what I thought was true slicks, and I still somehow managed to win that one as well. hope this doesn't turn into a he said/ she said contest with the Vette guys. Cool bunch of guys, I just happened to beat every one last night!
supergrin.gif

Anyone that disses Z06 past the point of having fun I hope has seen these things up close and personal, gorgeous rides, love that Electron Blue (biased opinion no doubt, much like our SBE).

Hopefully we can reconvene at a track with some traction, last night the street offered much more traction than the track, which is not good.

Met up with "Derty" a 400 rwhp TransAm on the ride home and we banged gears all the way to Detroit, him with his slicks on the rims in the back seat, another good guy too. Was expecting some attitude, I'm sure as were they, but felt none of that at all, impressive. Morseso with some of the pulled threads as of late with some of the Vette guys on our board.

Final hats off to Brett's son to be bro-in-law (we discussed the announcement on the board will probably precede the proposal!
smile.gif
). Kyle laid down high 12's, first time out ever in his 02 Z06, and ever drag racing I believe, matching or exceeding many of the Z's in last nights condition. (watching my video I'm commenting on the runs unaware of the taping, my comment: ohhh, I love it when Z06's run 14.5, keep it coming boys)

In their defense traction was utterly useless, in my defense I never ran over high 12's all night, must be the 335's!!
smile.gif

excellent time was had by all, looking very forward to bolting up those Club Racer Michelin in the coming weeks to see a sub 2.0 60 foot time, then things should get interesting.

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran a Z06 last week on the street, he has a 100 shot of NOS and I spray 135. He said he ran a 12.2 at the track but I beat him by about 8 to 10 lengths. The Kuhmos that I run killed him on the start. He was very suprised.

DBK1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 2tall:

Not too bad considering the best the vette boys in their Z06s could do was 12.9s on their best runs. A couple were tweaked that gave a run for the money, (I even had to hang my head in shame as I lost to one with slicks - and other items I'm sure) and all in all great fun.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*Cough Cough* I did 12.60s and 12.70s(stock save for the air filter), and DaveP did 12.5s-12.6's with his homemade ricer airfilter and gutted cats(on an 01 no less). Kens stock yellow Z06 ran 12.70s for the few runs he was there. I saw (warning *cheap shot*
wink.gif
) a few Viper runs in that range. I don't know what the guy that had slicks was running, but it wasn't anything to remember.

Would have been nice to line up against one of you guys but it wasn't in the cards. Nobody using the right lane makes it tough to match up. ***** that we had to rent Milan because it's such a darn slow track and it was very humid last night. I know I was squirelly all over the place on the 2-3 shift, so I'd imagine with all the torque the Vipers were just barely controllable on that mush. I wouldn't be surprised if that 12.34 Motor City ran would have been an 11 at a good track.

Anyhow, it was great to see you guys out at the track, and anytime you guys wanna do it again lemme know. I appreciate you guys accepting the invite and comin out to just enjoy a good time with fellow car enthusiasts. Next time we should try lapeer perhaps. No timing boards and really optimistic trap speeds, but better than running in the mess that is milan. I also believe theres a good event coming up next month in Ontario at Grand Bend, something to the effect of Imports vs. Domestics. Anyways, until then, take it easy fellas!
cool.gif

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ahhhh yes, the cough, coughing begins....
supergrin.gif

had a chance to mark down some of the video runs.....

not doubting your runs, wish I had them on tape for reference,

my run against the supercharged black C5 was my 12.522 at 118.38 to his 12.631 at 115.09 on tape.
(as well as a nice video of me completely missing 4th gear with a 12.7 at a whopping 94.16, ouch!, losing to the other Blue/White to Sean's 12.575)
Your as fast as the blown car your doing things right in my book!

Any comparisons are pretty soft when deciding who can spin the tires the least on what equated to Kentucky Bluegrass on a dewy morning, regardless I lucked out and didn't lose. Seems even the slick/drag radial cars were at a loss for traction? Was Matt running drag radials or all out slicks?

Next time we'll make a point of running for cyber-supremacy!!
Tried to find some Vette responses to the event to no avail?
Any help there?

OP
OP

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
6 out of 17 a loss for me.

1 was the annihilation that El Camino handed me.
1 was the red corvette. I hit the limiter in 1st on that one and it's the only reason I lost - My 12.65 to his 12.56 ouch.
2 honest-to-goodness losses to Ryan
2 losses to the same even though I had better ETs, due to 1.x reaction times vs .6x times.

I hope to meet up again ASAP on a different track. I think that may be the end of Milan for me.

Heck, I've got 1/4" of rubber attached to my inner wheelwells (literally) from yesterday; the majority of which probably came from my !%*!%&!$*$&!@ 13.48 run where I smoked the tires halfway down the track. It was against Kyle on his first run though, so I had to take it easy, and show off for the by standers. Yeah, that's the ticket.

DBK1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by genXgts:
my run against the supercharged black C5 was my 12.522 at 118.38 to his 12.631 at 115.09 on tape.
(as well as a nice video of me completely missing 4th gear with a 12.7 at a whopping 94.16, ouch!, losing to the other Blue/White to Sean's 12.575)
Your as fast as the blown car your doing things right in my book!

Any comparisons are pretty soft when deciding who can spin the tires the least on what equated to Kentucky Bluegrass on a dewy morning, regardless I lucked out and didn't lose. Seems even the slick/drag radial cars were at a loss for traction? Was Matt running drag radials or all out slicks?

Tried to find some Vette responses to the event to no avail?
Any help there?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It seemed like all the FI cars were diong taking a beating, guess the humidity is to blame for that. I wish it was a decent track because I had 4 straight runs with the worst time at 12.73 all with crappy 2.15 60's. Not too mention I too had a run where I completely bothced 4th making the most horrible noise I've ever heard and ended up 12.79@106
laugh.gif
Guess us guys that drive blue cars can't pull the lever straight down
dunno.gif
wink.gif
When we first got there the track had grip for about the first five people that ran and I managed a 2.004 but that was the end of that. All slip n slide from there on out.

Matt ran his street tires for the first part of the night, then switched to BFG dr's at the end. He was kinda pissed though because he didnt do any better with them on. Seemed like no one with dr's did any better than when they had street tires.

I've got a couple good vids of the Vipers running but I've yet to upload them. The daytime ones are alright, but unfortunately at night the timing boards look like blobs. As soon as I do, I'll post them up here. There's a few posts in the great lakes section of Corvetteforum if you guys wanna check it out!
cool.gif

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DBKZ06:
*Cough Cough* I did 12.60s and 12.70s(stock save for the air filter), and DaveP did 12.5s-12.6's with his homemade ricer airfilter and gutted cats(on an 01 no less). Kens stock yellow Z06 ran 12.70s for the few runs he was there. I saw (warning *cheap shot*
wink.gif
) a few Viper runs in that range. I don't know what the guy that had slicks was running, but it wasn't anything to remember.

Would have been nice to line up against one of you guys but it wasn't in the cards. Nobody using the right lane makes it tough to match up. ***** that we had to rent Milan because it's such a darn slow track and it was very humid last night. I know I was squirelly all over the place on the 2-3 shift, so I'd imagine with all the torque the Vipers were just barely controllable on that mush. I wouldn't be surprised if that 12.34 Motor City ran would have been an 11 at a good track.

Anyhow, it was great to see you guys out at the track, and anytime you guys wanna do it again lemme know. I appreciate you guys accepting the invite and comin out to just enjoy a good time with fellow car enthusiasts. Next time we should try lapeer perhaps. No timing boards and really optimistic trap speeds, but better than running in the mess that is milan. I also believe theres a good event coming up next month in Ontario at Grand Bend, something to the effect of Imports vs. Domestics. Anyways, until then, take it easy fellas!
cool.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DBKZO6, were most of you ZO6 guys running with drag radials? I think there was an older guy there with a red 2002 ZO6 that I have run at Milan before with a Pontiac Race Club. He uses DR's and usually runs in the 12.5 range as I think he did Monday night. I have never seen a completely stock ZO6, street tires and all-run less than a 12.9 there. But maybe some of you guys did it on Monday, I couldn't catch every race. I seemed to have had the most trouble of all of us Viper guys in getting traction and lost to a few of you Vette guys after I got fish-tailing. Maybe its my higher torque with all my mods that did me in on the 1-2 shift vs. my mostly stock Viper brothers.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ohhhhhh,

and Sean throws the casual digs to his fellow brethren, ouch, baby, ouch......
supergrin.gif

Brett, toss out some rebuttals to the motor city mod man if you have some time, I have to go back to work for something different.

DBK1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Motor City Mad Man:
DBKZO6, were most of you ZO6 guys running with drag radials?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope. I wasn't, just me, the Z and my air intake. DaveP with the black Z wasn't either until the last 2 runs, and even so he only went from a 12.6 to a 12.5 because he did it at the end of the night when the track was at it's slippery worst. jesus that was awful man. The last run I made I swear I thought I had lost it on the 1-2 because the car was just all over the place. I know Ken King's yellow Z is down to the bone stock since he's all about keeping it stock and he managed a few 12.70s.

I would imagine you were suffering from too much torque on the 1-2. That first 300 feet at the track are what really destroy the times. It's impossible to make that kind of time up when you're still skidding around that far down the track.

DBK1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
p.s throw together an average of your runs and see what you come up with. Throwing out the first run which was 13.30 I ended up with an average of 12.80. Average mph was 112.5.

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DBKZ06:
p.s throw together an average of your runs and see what you come up with. Throwing out the first run which was 13.30 I ended up with an average of 12.80. Average mph was 112.5.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I threw together 9 runs, (threw out the ones where I was fish-tailing so much that I let off the gas and the time I missed 3rd), and I come up with 12.55 ET average @ 115.69 mph ave. Pretty disappointing night. I have only drag raced at Milan, but lately there I have averaged about 12.3 @ around 117-118. Monday night was ugly.

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well here's a link to a video that I think DBKZO6 took of me racing a 480 rwhp 495 rw torque Vette. Unfortunately DBK or whoever shot the video didn't zoom in on the cars or time board as the cars raced down the track, but I think this is the run where I ran a pathetic 12.75 @ 114.8 to the Vette guy Matt's run of 12.637 @ 115.29. Certainly not my best or his best run of the night, but it was a close race. The other race between us I ran a 12.651 @ 113.89 vs. his 12.567 @ 115.07. It was like racing on a slip-and-slide. Plus I think since I didn't allow much cool down between runs, I was suffering from some heat soak. You can see in the video when I shift into 2nd I start fish-tailing a little and you can hear me let off the gas for a split second. Towards the end of the video you can hear this little kid say that blue car when he shifted he fishtailed, or maybe he said that blue car when he shifted he *****-it was one or the other.
supergrin.gif
Too bad I had to post a video of a Viper losing to a Vette, but my exhaust sounds pretty good in the video though.
supergrin.gif

Motor City Mad Man 96 Viper GTS vs. 480 rwhp Vette

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by genXgts:
ohhhhhh,

and Sean throws the casual digs to his fellow brethren, ouch, baby, ouch......
supergrin.gif

Brett, toss out some rebuttals to the motor city modman if you have some time, I have to go back to work for something different.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like that, Motor City ModMan. Although there are many on this board who have tons more mods than me. I am sure you and Brett are gonna catch the mod fever like I did. When we got our Roe superchargers we will lay waste to even those low 11 second cars that ran Monday night. I hope. And I won't even have to worry about popping a wheelie like that high 10 second motorcycle out there.

DBK1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Motor City Mad Man:
Unfortunately DBK or whoever shot the video didn't zoom in
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry wasn't me, it was the guy with the cobras buddy. He tells me that the timing boards weren't visible in the night and just came out as huge blobs.

Next time we do this we should make it a point to go head to head. I'm gettin some Long tubes installed and an exhaust system sometime in the next two weeks. I think it'd be a pretty decent match up.
smile.gif

Now I just need new tires, my F1's are dead after 7000 miles. Whoops.
blush.gif

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry wasn't me, it was the guy with the cobras buddy. He tells me that the timing boards weren't visible in the night and just came out as huge blobs.

Next time we do this we should make it a point to go head to head. I'm gettin some Long tubes installed and an exhaust system sometime in the next two weeks. I think it'd be a pretty decent match up.
smile.gif

Now I just need new tires, my F1's are dead after 7000 miles. Whoops.
blush.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd enjoy the matchup. I just would like to do a private track rental on a Saturday morning or something as I never can get traction at night. Then again, I was shark bait more than my Viper brothers so maybe we can offer them up this time.
supergrin.gif
Maybe I'll try some of that VHT in a can.

OP
OP

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I threw 'em all into excel for posterity
smile.gif

Avg, throw out 2 high 2 low was a 12.66 @ 115

What killed me was reaction times. I averaged .875.

60' average was 2.21 so that wasn't exactly top notch either.