Cross country trip in my "new" snake

rut44

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well I couldn't stay away any longer. Sold my '05 a few years back and have been regretting it ever since. Last week i came across a great deal on an '08 so I pulled the trigger.

I have to run to Belvedere, CA (just outside San Fran) for a month or so and thought what a great way to get to know the new ride. Been cross country many times in a jeep wrangler so this should be a little different experience.

Wish me luck!

Glad to be back in the family!

Heres a quick shot in Key West (my home) before leaving.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 378

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good luck and do not get it messed up on such long road trip.
Well I couldn't stay away any longer. Sold my '05 a few years back and have been regretting it ever since. Last week i came across a great deal on an '08 so I pulled the trigger.

I have to run to Belvedere, CA (just outside San Fran) for a month or so and thought what a great way to get to know the new ride. Been cross country many times in a jeep wrangler so this should be a little different experience.

Wish me luck!

Glad to be back in the family!

Heres a quick shot in Key West (my home) before leaving.

OP
OP
R

rut44

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The h spokes look great but I want to see what the 6 spokes look like.

I'm stopped south of Atlanta for the night. Having a problem when going into first gear from a stop. It wants to stall. I think it's the plugs and/or wires. Any suggestions for a good mechanic in the Atlanta area? I hear Ringgold Dodge is good, hopefully I can make it there.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the new toy! Viper road trips are a blast. 4,600 miles on my 2013 so far.... in only a couple weeks.

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congrats on the new toy! Viper road trips are a blast. 4,600 miles on my 2013 so far.... in only a couple weeks.
4600 miles already, man you drive your car. Gotta appreciate that...

Mamba52

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm stopped south of Atlanta for the night. Having a problem when going into first gear from a stop. It wants to stall. I think it's the plugs and/or wires. Any suggestions for a good mechanic in the Atlanta area? I hear Ringgold Dodge is good, hopefully I can make it there.

Ringold Dodge or Palmer Dodge.

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the car, hope you get the stalling figured out, can't imagine it is plugs or wires though.

Drove cross country last fall after VOI. It is a blast, just slow down when it starts pouring and have fun...

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
If you are coming west on I-40, through Amarillo, let me know.

We'll grab a bite at the Big Texan ...

Raven

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ringgold is in north Ga near the tennessee border. Bought my 08 black coupe from them.

If you end up there they will definitely take care of you.

Raven

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the fives.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rut44

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you are coming west on I-40, through Amarillo, let me know.

We'll grab a bite at the Big Texan ...

I appreciate the invite and will definitely reach out if I'm ever in your area. I've taken I-10, 20 and 40 cross country so I decided to go a little further north this time. I hear route 50 is a good road and I'm so tired of the boring interstates. Cruising through all the small towns is more fun and you can usually find some great roads.

OP
OP
R

rut44

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Changed the plugs today and problem solved...thankfully!

Made it to Missouri and ran a couple of great roads. This car is amazing! Even hit a couple of heavy downpours and the new super sports handle very well. Such a difference over the run craps.

I'm getting 21-24 mpg which is awesome! My jeep wrangler averaged 18-19.

-Raven, I like the 5s on the coupe! Very nice

Mamba52

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Changed the plugs today and problem solved...thankfully!

Made it to Missouri and ran a couple of great roads. This car is amazing! Even hit a couple of heavy downpours and the new super sports handle very well. Such a difference over the run craps.

I'm getting 21-24 mpg which is awesome! My jeep wrangler averaged 18-19.

-Raven, I like the 5s on the coupe! Very nice

Wow your getting 21/24!!!!!! When I drive I'm lucky to get 5mpg LOL. Have a safe trip!!!

OP
OP
R

rut44

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm running in 6th most of the time on the faster roads. 1500rpm at 80mph but it feels a little bogged down. I want to drop into 5th but the exhaust can get to you after a while.

Funny story...when I had the plugs changed the owner of the shop said I must have a leak in the exhaust system due to the excessive popping! Not a very good way to build my confidence in him to work on my car. But since it was only changing plugs and I spoke to the mechanic, who was a gear head, I let them proceed. Gotta love the pop!

OP
OP
R

rut44

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow what a trip! Found some amazing roads along the way.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

DStJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I picked up my 06 coupe in Augusta, GA and drove it back to Northern CO. I stopped in Shreveport, LA and picked up my son, so we could share the driving. I must say that the seats in the Viper are the most comfortable I have ever been in! Even after 14 hours in the car, my back and butt were not complaining at all!!!
We ran into a guy in a C6 Vette from Boulder, CO when we stopped in Amarillo, so we caravaned back with him. I wonder what the folks in the small towns thought when they saw a Vette and Viper rolling through town, one right behind the other. :drive:

OP
OP
R

rut44

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The trip was amazing! Car was perfect, even in the extreme heat of NV and UT. Stayed off the interstate as much as possible and saw a lot of small towns. We have some awesome back roads in this country!

If anyone is ever thinking about taking a long trip in a viper do yourself a favor and DO IT! You won't regret it. Did I mention gas mileage was 21-24 for most of the trip?? Can't beat that.

Lots of lookers- smiling, pointing and waving. We're very fortunate to own such rare and beautiful machines! :headbang:

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
I love road trips. Thanks for sharing your experience. On my list to go cross country in the viper.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R