Current SRT Cam Bolt Issue - Straight from SRT

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This just in from my Viper tech that working on my car. The reason I had clutch failure is because two of the eight bolts holding the pressure plate together were backed out a quarter of an inch each!!! That brings the number of problems with my car that are directly attributable to a bolt or a screw that wasn’t tightened correctly to FIVE. Does that sound coincidental to anyone or is it an indication of a larger problem?

By the way, the harmonic balancer is the part that’s so back ordered on the cam sprocket bolt issue. My tech says that DC said he could reuse mine if it wasn’t damaged. Any thoughts on this?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This just in from my Viper tech that working on my car. The reason I had clutch failure is because two of the eight bolts holding the pressure plate together were backed out a quarter of an inch each!!! That brings the number of problems with my that are directly attributable to a bolt or a screw that wasn’t tightened correctly to FIVE. Does that sound coincidental to anyone or is it an indication of a larger problem?

By the way, the harmonic balancer is the part that’s so back ordered on the cam sprocket bolt issue. My tech says that DC said he could reuse mine it is wasn’t damaged. Any thoughts on this?

What is the Year & MDH of your car?

2004 SRT-10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My Viper was one of vehicles that required the RRTs for the cam bolt issue. While repairing this issue I had the repair shop also look at the problem I had with the air conditioning, which was not working. This is second time the air stopped working. I drove it off the show room floor and the air did not work. Apparently no Freon. The RRT was repaired but apparently the air conditioning issue is delayed due to replacement parts due in another 3 days. My question is this (other than being totally pissed that I bought my dream 2004 Viper with only 900 miles on it and have to have it repaired) should not I be extended a rental vehicle for the entire time I am without the Viper. Apparently, I only get 5 days or up to $150 dollars coverage. I love the Viper and will put up with the problems but who can I complain to?

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Viper tech just finished addressing my timing sprocket bolt problem. He said that no damage was done since the bolts had not become lose, but that they were of course all only torqued to about 180 inch pounds instead of to the new spec of 250. One problem solved. :)

Now I'm just waiting on my replacement stock flywheel and I'll be up and running again. :2tu:

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
SapphireGTS;

I read your "made in America" comment that you wrote and I understand that you meant it as a joke; however, throughout the entire SRT design criticism, certificate apps, etc, we SRT converts have taken alot of crap. I have owned three Vipers, and the SRT is by far the best.

No problems, and mine is #332 delivered in January 03'. No flame intended, but there are still alot of you GenII folks who LOVE to find any fault in the SRT.

I think the Sapphire GTS is the coolest looking Viper ever made, but I like the SRT better in every way except perhaps appearance. I wanted the improvements.

D/C will take care of this Cam/Bolt issue, as this is what warranties are for. I only wish they would issue a "Warranty" insulation kit for the excessive cabin heat. And by the way, the GTS was quite the human oven as well.

Remember SapphireGTS, that criticism of our beloved Vipers is read on this board by others who might want to join our Viper ranks and are on the fence with a buying decision. Problems happen with any automobile, and the Viper has been a very reliable, very easily fixable exotic.

Bringing up a manufacturing problem is perfectly fine, don't get me wrong.

Just my opinion,

Jim :) :usa:

SRT 10 2004

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<D/C will take care of this Cam/Bolt issue, as this is what warranties are for. I only wish they would issue a "Warranty" insulation kit for the excessive cabin heat.>

-Never once been hot in mine, A/C works perfectly. Still dont see where those complaints come from

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see you are in San Diego. Not sure if you have seen 90+ weather yet. But if/when you do driving with the roof down may become a hot topic. The hottest driving is top down driving at city speeds.

CTViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was told that a disgruntled employee just didn't tighten the bolts. DC isn't sure which Viper and Ram SRT/10 trucks were effected. The gentleman who told me is very knowledgeable

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I was told that a disgruntled employee just didn't tighten the bolts. DC isn't sure which Viper and Ram SRT/10 trucks were effected. The gentleman who told me is very knowledgeable

If thats the case, they BETTER know WHO built what cars...it wouldnt make sense for them not to know. I am assuming this guy got fired or something Jan 31st? why was that a cutoff date?

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the dealer said that he wants to ship my motor back to dc for a rebuild i said that i want a new car. we will see what happens. its a crank issue not a cam bolt.

go fuigure

vd..

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
the dealer said that he wants to ship my motor back to dc for a rebuild i said that i want a new car. we will see what happens. its a crank issue not a cam bolt.

go fuigure

vd..

any more details? what happened to your crank...? HELL YES, INSIST ON A NEW DAMN CAR! did you really spend 100K just to be without it for the first month or two of summer... and have them rip it apart? I think not.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NO ONE with any brains spent close to $100K. Stop exaggerating.

D-C has an obligation to fix the problem - and that means an Arrow rebuild. No court will give you a new car because of this. Your state has VERY CLEARLY defined Lemon Law requirements in order to get a new car and in most states it is 3 times for the same problem or over 30 cumulative days inthe shop for the same problem.

You should be compensated for the time you are without your car, but after all the experiences on this board, you should know that there is no issue with having an Arrow rebuild - certainly not worthy of a "new car".

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hey janni

83000 plus 8.5 % tax = 90,055

and a 10,000 hit on the trade of a 2000 gts for only $43,000 with 6000 miles is another $10,000

you do the math

about 100k

oh by the way when did you buy your 2004 srt 10? and how much did you pay?

vd..

as far as the repurchase goes i have a attorney that does this all day long i think that his prof advice is better that a anonnymous figure on the net.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper D -
If you paid sticker - I am sorry - I can't help you after the fact.

You can't count the "hit" you took on the GTS in the proce of the SRT.

I bought my 2003 in January of 2003 for a few hundred over INVOICE, thanks.

Have fun with your attorney.

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
go fuigure

vd..

I just keep being reminded of all those assinine comments you made when you first joined the board. All about how we "poor" GTS owners are so below you because we couldn't supposedly afford the new SRT10. I bought my GTS for 2 reasons- I like the look of it far more than the SRT, and secondly I did not want to be one the guinea pigs for the new model. Look who's laughing now :D

Oh, and by the way, now that rates have spiked up over the last month do you even have an income producing pipeline still? Or will your attorney ultimately arrange for the delivery of a new SRT4 Neon instead :rolleyes:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
NO ONE with any brains spent close to $100K. Stop exaggerating.

D-C has an obligation to fix the problem - and that means an Arrow rebuild. No court will give you a new car because of this. Your state has VERY CLEARLY defined Lemon Law requirements in order to get a new car and in most states it is 3 times for the same problem or over 30 cumulative days inthe shop for the same problem.

You should be compensated for the time you are without your car, but after all the experiences on this board, you should know that there is no issue with having an Arrow rebuild - certainly not worthy of a "new car".

Stop exaggerating? Yeah, OK. As you can see from the above post, I WASNT exaggerating. VD's case goes for MANY others on this board and off as well. I also dont think the blatent attempt at an insult is appreciated by those who have paid sticker... I dont see anything wrong with it? But, That is moot point. The cost wasnt my point, which you obviously missed. I have the feeling that if you were in VD's shoes, you would have somewhat of a different attitude. Did you even give a thought to the fact that us NY residents only HAVE 4 or so months of Viper driving weather? A rebuild is going to take up half- OR MORE of that. Reguardless of how much money VD spent on his car, do you think he spent it so he could watch them rip it apart a couple months after he bought it and cause him to miss half or more of the season? HELL NO. I talked to VD on the phone today, he is livid, and rightly so. DC needs to step up. If the car is under a certain age, perhaps 1 year, and it cant be COMPLETELY fixed in 1 month or less they need to buy it back. We arent talking peanuts here- we are talking cars that are worth more than most people make in a year of working full time! When you spend that amount of money, you expect it to last more than a couple months without having to be rebuilt! It is one thing to need a rebuild after 2-3 years, **** happens. But after 3 months? give me a break.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Daniel,
You seem like a reasonable guy - and one that has mastered the use of the shift key - so I'll respond.

I understand the frustration about having such a short window to drive the convertible. Has Viper D talked ot his dealer about getting a new engine? Or having the Viper Tech repair the motor there?

A new engine would get him back running ASAP and certainly much faster than removing it, shipping it back to Arrow, waiting on a rebuild, shipping again, and then reinstalling? That's a reasonable alternative and MUCH faster.

If the car is going to be out of commission for 30 days, it's possible that he would have a lemon law issue.

If he's not pursued alternatives, then it's hard to listen to anyone *****.

Sometimes, things happen. This is one of those things. If he's adamant about having the least downtime possible, then he needs to pursue other alternatives. Most often, owners want an Arrow rebuild becasue of the care and precision that goes into a rebuild. And there's the whole matching numbers thing. If that's of lesser importance, maybe a new engine - dropped in by his local tech would be a better answer.

But to come on here and complain about his $100K car, or to discuss how the price of the car is more than most make in a year - we all know better - it's an $80K car - STICKER - and most here don't make under $80K. The car has issues - there has been a recall. D-C will fix it. Perhaps they can assist in a Max Care warranty or something else for the issue, like they did on the valve issues.

I really can't see a buyback unless it can't be fixed in under 30 days and other options have been pursued.

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hey sunburn i make 3 times more money when rates "spike" and twice the money when they are just high. I HAVE BEEN DOING THIS FOR OVER 10 YEARS NOW IN ALL MARKET CONDITIONS.

JANNI
i still don't get your math please show me how 83,000 is sticker or above

please also show me your math skills with tax and total selling price, you know the one that you paid. $80,000 includes tax i guess

vd..

i have another hard top and 2 bikes that i can use thats not the point.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VD, what happened to your car? How did this go from a CAM to a CRANK issue? Any more details, please.

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
HEY JANNI AND SUNBURN

guess what
can you say factory r e p u r c h a s e (got my check today)

haha

I guess it goes to show, not to take advice form people on the net even if they go by the title of vca president (carolinas)

and i bought my mamba in indy this past weekend.

i used my old srt for 7 months for free.

vd..
oh wait maybe mamba d.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper D
Good for you. Sounds like something more major than the cam bolt issue.

Enjoy your new car.

CTViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got my Car back Monday from Tators Dodge. Chuck said my Bolts were fine. At least i got a free oil change and fluids out of it. Makes me feel better now that its been checked.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang