Cutting the Borla's

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Cutting the Borla\'s

Hey Marc,
Try the Dynomax Ultra flows, they are suppose to flow better than the Borlas(according to their techs). I will find out what they sound like in less than a month, I have a couple I will be installing on my 96 R/T.

Mike

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My car has the hennessy 500 and it has Ultra flows and some kind of non factory cat...the ultra flows are placed where the resonators were.

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cutting the Borla\'s

Well it's time, I have have to cut off the borla mufflers. I've had the borla cat back for about a year and a half. I wasn't ever thrilled with the sound but after spending that money on an exhaust I figured I would leave it. Once I cut out the cats the borla's make this trombone sound whenever I get on it. I'm sure others do, it sounds like that metal element inside is vibrating. They used to do it only when the car was cold but without the cats it's all the time.
Does anyone know of another performance muffler that will work well in the side sills? It doesn't have to be one of the high $ ones, just want to put something else in there that doesn't buzz. I don't mind loud it just a little embarassing and I find myself not pushing the throttle hard. With all this power, you don't want that.

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dynomax Race Bullet mufflers...I will probably be able to post some soundfiles later this week.

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well, I took Doug Levin's advice and went with the Magnaflows. They sound much much better than the Borla's without cats. They got rid of that loud vibrating sound the car had since the cats were cut out. There is a little work to be done to get them to fit correctly in the sills because the diameter is a little larger, but it shouldn't be a problem. Just knocking on the outside of the Borla's and the Magnaflows you can hear the difference. One sounded like tin and the other just a dead thud. I'm not saying the Borla's are bad, they just make a weird sound without the cats. Thanks for the good advice Doug!

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Marc,
the Magnaflows look an aweful lot like the Ultra flows. Hopefully they will sound almost as good when I put them on.

Mike

Viperoctane

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Marc,

Hi... I am thinking of changing the mufflers on my borla too. Also cutting the catz off soon. Where do I get the ultra flows from ?? and how much are they ?? thanx

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't know about the Ultraflows, but I got the Magnaflows at a local dealer. I went online, found Mangaflow and that led me to a dealer. I don't know about the Ultraflows but if they are smaller in diameter than the Maganflows, I would go with them. Magna's are 6" diameter and I would have preferred 5". It was a pain in the neck getting them to fit into the sills.

Viperoctane

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanx Marc
smile.gif
)

I went through the ultra flow website, but they have hundreds of mufflers. Anyone know the part number or where to get them from ?? thanx again
smile.gif

Viperoctane

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanx wild dude
smile.gif
)))

gonna order it on monday.. is it hard to install ?? I am thinking of taking off the borla mufflers and the resonaters and installing this muffler.. thanx again
smile.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc