D. A. R. E. car is a Viper

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOODBINE, Ga. - The Camden County Sheriff's Department says an expensive sports car is the way to get children's attention about the dangers of illegal drugs.
The south Georgia county's new Drug Awareness Resistance Education car is a 2001 Dodge Viper RT/10 capable of going nearly 200 mph.

The cost: $93,000.

"With television and video games, it's hard to impress kids and grab their attention. The whole point of this car is to grab the kids' attention," said Lt. William Terrell, the sheriff's office spokesman. "Once we have their attention, then we can focus on getting them to listen and show them how to resist peer pressure to use drugs and alcohol."

Others, however, wonder whether the car, which recently won a national contest in Las Vegas, Nev., for its custom paint job, cost too much.

Camden County Commissioner Bob Becker called the win "a publicity gimmick" that gives the department a lot of notoriety.

"But does it improve law enforcement?" he asked. "I would hope it would. I have my doubts."

The sports car was purchased with forfeited drug money from seizures made by deputies on Interstate 95, Lt. Terrell said.

dare0718.jpg

"It didn't cost the taxpayers anything. It all was paid for entirely with confiscated drug money," he said. "And if we can reach even just one kid with this car, then it's worth it."

The car itself was $78,000. Additional costs were a trailer, $5,500; paint job, $5,000; custom embroidery, $300; navigation system, $1,000; and a police package including blue lights, siren and radio, $3,000.

The department's D.A.R.E. officer, Capt. David Gregory, acknowledged that a few people have complained about the money spent on the car, but he said that most people recognize its drawing power and the importance of the anti-drug message.

"The sheriff's response has been you can't put a price on a child's life," he said.

And the D.A.R.E. car may indeed save some lives and improve others, Capt. Gregory said. Although some studies have asserted that D.A.R.E. programs are not cost-effective, Capt. Gregory says he has anecdotal evidence that contradicts the surveys.

"I've seen some kids in troubled environments come out of that clean. If I had to sum it up in one word, it's hope," he said.

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it sends the message that if you sell drugs you can buy a car like this
confused.gif
Considering that is how the car was paid for! I think that much money could have gone to a better use.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JF58854777:
I think it sends the message that if you sell drugs you can buy a car like this
confused.gif
Considering that is how the car was paid for! I think that much money could have gone to a better use.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha, the kids ask about how it was bought, and the response is "Kids, we were able to buy this car with drug money, so if you stay away from drugs, you won't have to worry about buying such a car, because you won't have that kind of money." LOL!

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The idea that it didn't cost the taxpayers anything is illogical. Why couldn't that money go to offset the cost of running the department if it has to be spent by the police? I would rather see any confiscated money go into the county's general fund. I don't like the idea of the cops being able to use money from fines or confiscation. They should do their jobs without benefit from the results of their actions. It's almost like a kick back.

jkracer9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The first viper came out when and they have just confiscated enough money. Maybe they had to bust 78,000 drug dealers to get that much money. I don't think that they roll up and say guess how we bought this kids, the message is not to do drugs. The message could be go ahead and sell drugs we need another Viper.
Maybe Viper owners in that area will not be getting speeding tickets but a friendly face to race.
Then so what that they spend all of that money, if not that it would of fell into another hole and maybe the Chiefs pocket.
cool.gif
cool.gif

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MES:

So the car was paid for by money that was stolen by the police from a hard working drug dealer
rolleyes.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In fact, yes.

For the record, I have never taken, bought or sold illegal drugs. Not even smoked ***. But for decades I’ve heard the same rhetoric about the evils of drugs, but the results have never matched the accusations. Some people sell drugs. Some people drink and drive. Some people shoot people. If you wanna reduce the numbers of these crimes then lock the perps up, but stealing from them only encourages corruption in our already grotesquely corrupt law enforcement agencies. At the very least the cops should donate their "*****" to charities, but they certainly should not profit from it.

So many people have a notion that every drug dealer is Tony Montana in a Ferrari. More accurately is that it’s some schmuck supplementing his income by selling to some other schmuck who looks forward to the weekends. I lived in "the hood" for 12 years. I bartended for ten years. The only pimped out Mercedes or Caddys I ever saw were POS and more than ten years old.

I’m not "pro drugs" I just think there are bigger worries – MANY bigger worries than drugs. No doubt, many on this board have done some type of drug or even sold drugs is an indication of the minor negative affect on society.

BUD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 98 RT/10:
In fact, yes.

For the record, I have never taken, bought or sold illegal drugs. Not even smoked ***. But for decades I’ve heard the same rhetoric about the evils of drugs, but the results have never matched the accusations. Some people sell drugs. Some people drink and drive. Some people shoot people. If you wanna reduce the numbers of these crimes then lock the perps up, but stealing from them only encourages corruption in our already grotesquely corrupt law enforcement agencies. At the very least the cops should donate their "*****" to charities, but they certainly should not profit from it.

So many people have a notion that every drug dealer is Tony Montana in a Ferrari. More accurately is that it’s some schmuck supplementing his income by selling to some other schmuck who looks forward to the weekends. I lived in "the hood" for 12 years. I bartended for ten years. The only pimped out Mercedes or Caddys I ever saw were POS and more than ten years old.

I’m not "pro drugs" I just think there are bigger worries – MANY bigger worries than drugs. No doubt, many on this board have done some type of drug or even sold drugs is an indication of the minor negative affect on society.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree 100%. I HAVE inhaled &lt;///////&gt;~ and the war on drugs is just a war on freedom. Cigarettes kill more than alcohol, ****** and coke combined, (all nasty drugs) but Uncle Sam gets to dip his beak into the profits, so it's "OK". We need to learn from our European friends. Our prison space needs to be for child molestors and murderers. And trust me, I am ANYTHING but a Liberal.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BUD:
I HAVE inhaled &lt;///////&gt;~

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hence, the name BUD, huh?

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DARE is a good project and helps many young kids. theres good cops and theres bad cops just like theres good and bad in any profession or field. nothin wrong with using drug money to buy something repesenting a good cause.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some folks think anything with "heart in the right place" is a good cause. I know what's really going on and it look's like most of the posts above know too. The cops are running a business. The crime fighting business. Note, they don't really want to prevent crime, they just want to fight it. They want more money and power every year and they will come up with any kind of scam they can think of in order to get the public spun up. If you give in to them politically they will take your guns, file your DNA and tattoo a number on your arm, just for your own protection of course.
It's not hard to find the criminals in most communities and any fool knows what kind of police work it would take to keep them under control. Just catch them and put them in jail. I see the cops paying way too much attention to going after ordinary people for small infractions. Why, because it's safe and it pays.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rdustman:
theres good cops and theres bad cops just like theres good and bad in any profession or field.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The "bad" in most professions have little or no affect on anyone's day...or life.

But a bad cop can really screw up your day.

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe, no offense, i think youre confusing cops with highway patrolmen and with politicians. saints, LOL, not quite, ya gotta have somewhat of a criminal mind to catch a criminal. to hate em all, that'd be like saying; wow i had a ****** steak at this restaurant last night so from now on ill never eat steak anywhere again. illogical logic. but not meaning to impose my .02, just observation here. to each his own. ive known many bad cops and i know many good cops and ill tell you one thing, for me personally in a bad situation a good cop will save your asss and youll be thankful for it. i got many cop friends, fbi, and dea and they even hate some of their own, who doesnt, helll i wouldnt give a squirt of piss for many doctors out there, doesnt mean theyre arent good ones. again, down off my soapbox, LOL. now how bout some tech stuff topics i can usefully apply to my evergroing knowledge of this silly hobbie called viper ownership

OP
OP
T

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"now how bout some tech stuff topics i can usefully apply to my evergroing knowledge of this silly hobbie called viper ownership"

I am finding it to be a very consuming hobby, with sporadic fits of fiscal irresponsibility.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with chuck!
the money should have gone to build homes for poor orphans or the really down and out at a homeless shelter. maybe a abused
woman with a kid?

but NOT a sportscar for the cops to show off in.
the whole situation ***** it makes me
puke.gif

bastages should be forced to sell it on ebay!!
and then take the money and HELP the community!!!
jerks!
talk about tunnel vision !!!
I can not stand just plain stupidity!!!!

I am sure that there are poor kids in that town!!!
that would have like new socks, shoes, etc.
instead of that car!

Miles B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Noone has been able to say how this car could stop kids from doing drugs? I just don't get it. If I was a ghetto kid, chillin in my hood, and along comes the heat with the *BLING BLING* Viper.. I would be like all "**** . got to get me one of those" and would find out how to sell drugs and make the money to get one ASAP.

Seriously, can anyone suggest a way the presence of this car would *detract* from the appeal of drugs ?? How does it "give them hope"? It's happening here too - the cops have too much money from the millions of speed cameras they are taxing us with every day, and have to spend it on something. So now they have dozens of 70k+ (aussie dollars) highway cars to roll around in. Makes me sick. They take my money, and spend it on cars for themselves.

BUD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rdustman:
DARE is a good project and helps many young kids. theres good cops and theres bad cops just like theres good and bad in any profession or field. nothin wrong with using drug money to buy something repesenting a good cause.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dare is a PROVEN failure. It went bye-bye with "just say no"
I have seen Pigs, yea I said Pigs, lie and testify on the stand. One time against ME! I am ALWAYS courteous to them, too. Maybe in your town they are different? Youngstown, Ohio vs Houston, Texas.

You said: "i know many good cops and ill tell you one thing, for me personally in a bad situation a good cop will save your asss and youll be thankful for it."

I disagree. Cops come AFTER the crime. My Glock and street smarts will save my asss WAY before ANY cop will. How often do they actually PREVENT a crime? They come to take reports 99% of the time. But actually saving your asss? The odds are gonna be against you. My cousin, a 14 yr L.A. Sheriff's Deputy agrees. He also hates Cops. Ironic, huh? But you are right, they are not ALL bad. And I am sure there is a friendly Wild Grizzly bear or two out there also. But I am going with the odds. N0 flames intended. (Except for the "pig" comment. It came from the heart)

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bud, no offense taken, this is merely a website of anominity and opinion. youngstown ohio BTW, one of the highest crime rates in the US of A, from homicide to organized crime. me, i have seen much in my past on both sides from civilian to military experiences to now in this town, coast to coast and overseas. like i said and its only my opinion i have personally seen much good with programs like DARE, programs do not fail, people fail. a program is only as good as the individuals utilizing it, period. as for street smarts, i couldnt agree more, theyre essential for safety in most parts anymore, as for a glock, not a bad choice, good starter gun, lol

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there an IQ requirement to be a cop??? Police departments all over the country continuously do the dumbest things.

Hell, they could have sponsored a race Viper, oh but then they wouldn't have their own toy.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
The sports car was purchased with forfeited drug money from seizures made by deputies on Interstate 95, Lt. Terrell said.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So the car was paid for by money that was stolen by the police from a hard working drug dealer
rolleyes.gif

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to keep it technical, I'm getting my 3.55 gears installed today.
I'm not talking about bad cops. I'm talking about regular cops. The problem I have is with their involvement in things other than catching real bad guys and putting them away. I don't want to see them involved in "Dare" and I don't want to see them spouting their opinions about what should be legal and illegal. Of course they want to take everyone's gun. That's safer for them and it also makes the public depend on them more for "protection". When the speed limits are ridiculously low and generally not enforced, that gives them the ability to stop anyone they want for doing what everyone else is doing all the time. When you go out to dinner and share a bottle of wine with your wife, you are very close to the DWI limit. Are you a danger? Of course not. But if you get stopped on the way home they will act like you are. When they announce that they are "cracking down" on aggressive drivers, one might ask what they were doing last week. When they speak about "assault weapons" to a public that knows nothing about firearms, are they really trying to help or are they just spinning? In most large cities, they could round up drug dealers all day if they chose to do so. Why don't they do that? There is nothing in it for them and they might get shot, that's why. They are like any other government organization. They look out for their budget and their power. They don't have to be bad cops for their motivations and actions to be against the best interests of the average person.

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The "War On Drugs" is a sound business strategy to keep prices up and hence, profits in an inelastic economy.

It works the same way cigarette price makes little difference in the rate of consumption.

This method basically funds departments from groups that are publicly "hated."

Drugs, Drinking, Speeding, Smoking, etc.

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmmm,
That gives me a good idea how to get together some cash for all those mods I've been wanting to do.

Lets see, a SC will run about $8k, and those 3.55's I've been wanting.........$1.5k I'll need to sell about.....Oh nevermind.

OP
OP
T

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the article is great and the Viper looks awesome! The best part of the story is that the car was free and not a penny came from law abiding taxpayers! I hope they spend another $30,000 of confiscated money siezed from criminal lawbreakers on a DLM or HMS SC package. GO Camden County S.O. !!!
usa-clear-s.gif

BUD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bud, no offense taken, this is merely a website of anominity and opinion. youngstown ohio BTW, one of the highest crime rates in the US of A, from homicide to organized crime. me, i have seen much in my past on both sides from civilian to military experiences to now in this town, coast to coast and overseas. like i said and its only my opinion i have personally seen much good with programs like DARE, programs do not fail, people fail. a program is only as good as the individuals utilizing it, period. as for street smarts, i couldnt agree more, theyre essential for safety in most parts anymore, as for a glock, not a bad choice, good starter gun, lol

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good starter gun? You mean when I shoot it all the ******* "start" running? Get it? BWHAHAHA
Here are just a few of my other children. The small AR-15 pistol is carbon fiber.

You must be registered for see images

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nice collection Bud, a man after my own heart and interests. were you military or just good ol texas upbringing? again, very nice pieces.

BUD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nice collection Bud, a man after my own heart and interests. were you military or just good ol texas upbringing? again, very nice pieces.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"A man with a gun is a Citizen. A man without a gun is a subject."

Thanks, only military was HS R.O.T.C. I have not even fired most of them. I kinda look at them as art. Does that make me sick? I did cut down a tree with the AK47 once. It took two 30 rd clips. It was funny as hell.