Dan Cragin Paxton blower flash rocks - best bang for the buck!!

Dave T (BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thought I'd post this in the gen III since the motor is shared with the SRT Ram.

Brief background: As some of you know my original SRT Ram motor blew on the dyno. $16K later I got my truck back. Well, two or three weeks ago I took it to Bandimere to see what she would run. I happen to line up against a stock '05 SRT Ram with only the different gears and an air filter. I have an '04 with the Paxton, upgraded pistons, etc. Well, at the end of the race I lost to this truck (we both ran 14.9xxx). I couldnt understand how it could happen when I have an extra 200 horsepower or so on him. I talked to the dealership who installed my "new" motor and reinstalled my Paxton. It was suggested that his slightly lower gear ratio had something to do with it...that plus possibly my driving ability.

Well, I knew it was something else...I just had to find the right person with the answer.

I talked with Dan Cragin (DC Performance) about his pcm/blower flash for the SRT Ram and Viper. The blower flash removes what is referred to as a Wide Open Throttle Timer delay. Basically, the truck falls on its face when launching from a standstill until it reaches the boost rpm's. Its not quite as much a problem in the Viper given its lower weight. This condition isnt apparent on the dyno or street because the truck is already running at a few thousand rpm's. First impressions on the street are a more aggressive launch and a faster rev to redline. Now, lets see what it will do at the track.

I purchased a new pcm/flash/170 degree thermostat from Dan and reran my truck at Bandimere wednesday evening. Density altitude was 8000 feet (track is 5900), similar to a few weeks ago when I ran.

My 1/4 times dropped from the 14.9-15.2 at 95-99 mph range a few weeks ago to a [email protected] best. Thats just over a 1 second improvement in a 5050 pound truck (I weighed it at the track with me in it) with a density alt of a mile and a half high. For under $500 (blower flash/thermostat) I improved my times a full second. Thats the best bang for the buck I've come across yet.

I did run against a guy with an SRT Ram with a pro-charger (5-6psi). He ran almost a full second faster then my run with a [email protected] time. Thats well into the 11's at sea level. He's running stock internals and shifter, just a bit more aggressive tire.

So, I think my tune is somewhat conservative (not a bad thing) and theres more to be had. With all the research Dan has put forth into the SRT Ram (and Viper) I plan on shipping my truck to him this winter to work his magic and get me into the 12's next year. Or, maybe I'll tow the truck to him with my recently purchased '06 Ram 1500 SLT Lariat quad cab 4x4...of course with a HEMI and all the bells and whistles.

Thanks Dan, you are DA MAN!!