Dash power tap...any suggestions?

Mark Young

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need to tap power (switched preferably) to hook up my new SmarTire unit. I haven't looked through the Viper manual yet but I'm not sure it would be that helpful.

I need it in the dash area, so I could potentially just use the radio power but does anyone know of a better/easier source?
SmarTire only provides a cigarette plug so I'm out to fashion some sort of tap with an inline fuse. I want the power source to be 'keyed' so if I forget to the turn the thing off I don't drain down the battery (which I do sometimes with my V1).

Thanks, and sorry ahead of time if this is a dumb question. Sometimes its faster to just ask than figure it out yourself.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remove the knee bolster and unfasten the fuse box. Look for the wire attached to the heater. That should be switched. You can verify with a voltmeter.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">To avoid any wiring changes or damage, I use a Radio Shack Fuse Tap, which is a small plated blade that piggy backs a fuse in the under dash compartment. Just make sure you clip it over the fused leg of the fuse otherwise you'll have zero overcurrent protection.</FONT f>

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark-
Call me tomorrow to discuss. There are several good points to tap into, but it depends on the draw of your Smartire system. What is the draw?
Fuse taps/piggybacks are usually rated up to about 10 amps.

-Wayne

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06Quad