Dashboard Gremlins Help Needed

KarlMm

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 99 ACR GTS has developed a nice little gremlin where the tach and speedo would bounce the needles when the lights were turned on. This was annoying, but liveable. However, now it has progressed to where the lights are totally out on these 2 gauges and the turn signal lamps are both solid on at the same time. So, at night I have no way of knowing rpm, speed, nor can use the turn signals. Any ideas on what might be wrong? If all else fails, I can take it to the dealer and have it checked out, but was wondering if anybody on the board has heard or seen this problem before.

Thanks in advance.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I fixed one just like yours. It was a bad ground behind the dash. That ground is located below the windshield on the left side behind the dash. It's not easy to get to! If you have a service manual, it will give you the exact location.
Maybe this will help? Let us know what you find!

terribleted13

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree! Sure sounds like a loose ground problem.Listen to Mister Viper Wizard.The light bulbs might also be blown out in the gauges,[lumination]depends on how long the problem was present,and/or your luck!

OP
OP
K

KarlMm

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. I'll get some manuals and see how many dashboard pieces I can break on my to the ground location. I'll repost once I have it found and fixed.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. I'll get some manuals and see how many dashboard pieces I can break on my to the ground location. I'll repost once I have it found and fixed.

You would only have to remove the left Knee Bolster [5 or 6 screws] and that should give you enough room to look straight up. Your looking for a stud with a few wires attached to it, on the body below the windshield. Either the nut holding the wires is loose or gone?

OP
OP
K

KarlMm

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just an update. Thanks again for those that posted helpful hints. It seems that all the ground bolts are tight and the wires leading to the ground posts are not frayed. This has been going on from 2k miles to the current 9k miles. So, the thinking now is that maybe there is a loose connection or wire somewhere in the electrical system. I purchased the car at 1200 miles and it started showing signs of the short early on. Maybe that's why the previous owner sold it? Anyway. I'll keep looking for the lovely electric gremlin. At least it forced me to get the shop manual and start learning more about this great car. :)

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are not many conditions that will cause your problem. Going by my 97 manual, the problem is likely to be associated with an orange wire that comes off of distribution point S203. S203 originates at the dimmer switch. If I am correct your headlamp indicator light is not working either.

The orange wire seems to be interrupted and is contacting one of two wires that go to the turn indicator lamps. I would find the orange wire at the tach or speedo and trace it back to a three point splice, the problem is somewhere between that point and the dimmer.