Dead battery! Help!

rjsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Driving the car last night A/C on, lights on, radio on, and... "chime" battery voltage reading 11 volts. Turned everything off except the lights (it's night time) voltage jumped back up to 14 volts. Stayed at 14 volts for the 45min ride home. Once I was home safe I turned on A/C, radio etc. shut the car off then turned it back on. Voltage dropped to 11 again, but with A/C off jumped back up to 14 volts. So I guess I need a new battery. Wich one do I buy? 2008 coupe. Any advice please. Thank you.

Wiretech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should check the alternator also because when the voltage is at 14v with engine running means it's charging, when you put the A/C on it puts a load on the alternator , when it's at 11v means it's not charging.

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take the battery to an auto parts store to make sure it's bad. If It's bad I personally like the diehard series batteries. The last one I had lasted 7 years in my gts. If the battery test good I would start looking at the alternator.

OP
OP
R

rjsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Battery tested good. So I'm going to need an alternator. Please chime in and tell me who to buy one from. I want to support VCA vendors. Thanks.

Westxsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just replace the battery, the oem 650 amp is too small for the car. My 08 acted the same way with AC and slow speed crusing, the alt. can't keep up during low speeds. Get the 800 amp replacement.

08 Viper coupe

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Batter amperage output should not matter when engine running...... alternator output does though..... take it to a mechanic and have them check the alternator output under load....if not to spec, replace the alternator......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi