Delivery, drive or ship?

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ordering from Tomball, I live in VA.

Putting milage on the vehicle, I don't care about - I plan to drive it every day as is. I'd do it as a road trip with my old man.

1400 miles is a long hike, 20-24 hour of travel depending on speed.

I've driven all most all that route before, it wasn't the most exciting - which is the only reason I am thinking about just shipping.

stranger355

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a good way to get past break in I say. I drove my gen 4 back from Tx in VA back in Dec. 2010 and had a blast. where in VA are you?

OP
OP
V

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a good way to get past break in I say. I drove my gen 4 back from Tx in VA back in Dec. 2010 and had a blast. where in VA are you?
Tysons Corner, the belly of the beast

Thats what I was thinking, good break in. I can get back into driving a manual (it has been years! though I learned how to drive stick at 8yo on our dairy farm and was driving dump trunks at 13!)

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great experience to drive it home. I flew to Tulsa and drove back to Cleveland with my wife's car. I put in almost 23 hrs and drove 1,000 miles, the on site paperwork / transfer was fine just took a few hours. Did it first week of January lucked out on the weather, car had summer tires on it. I say drive it if you can!

shine

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can't beat road trips for memories.

That said, I'd probably have it delivered, just because making a several-day hole in my schedule is difficult.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New car companies typically advise against driving long distances at constant speeds/rpms during engine break-in period (usually 500-1000 miles.)

I wouldn't hesitate to do a road trip pick up with a used car, but not with a new one.

Killer33

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd ship it and have an unveiling party when your new baby arrives... then plan a shorter road trip after it arrives.

My $.02

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove my Lamborghini back home from Atlanta, almost 800 miles in one day. I enjoyed it, but it was very stressful with the thought of someone hitting me, not to mention that almost 250 miles of that was in very bad rain. You also need to keep in mind the potential of damage from road debris on the drive back. Mine had a clear bra that protected a majority of the front end of the car, but 20 miles out of Atlanta, I almost hit a trash can on the highway that would have ruined my trip, rock chips that inevitably come from people in front of you, not to mention the potential for deer and other animals crossing the highway at night (I saw their eyes on the side of the road). I probably wouldn't do it again, but I wanted to have it home to enjoy it that weekend and shipping was not an option at that point.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drive it in 2 days with a nice hotel stay somewhere cool. I remember both of my Viper purchase road trips vividly, one from the left coast, one from the right coast back to Houston. Or, I could drive it to you and fly back.... :D

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having driven cars back from MD, GA, and WA to the Midwest, if the car was going to be a daily, I road trip for sure.
If it was a Sunday driver I would ship it.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipers are great long distance runners. Get great mileage loafing along in 6th gear, and taking some fun enthusiastic sprints along the way.

Car will break in just fine on the trip. Get a fresh oil change when you get home, and have memories forever.

If possible, take two or three days (or more) for the trip, and map out the most fun route, not the fastest. Not out of the question to head north, up to Denver and the Rockies, and home that way if weather permits.

If you are thinking about a straight non stop run to rush straight home, I would seriously consider having Tomball ship it to your door.

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drove mine from Austin to San Francisco. It was interesting. It's fun now that I look back at it. It had it's moments, but it was a lot of driving. Have a co-driver helps a lot.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only reason I didn't drive mine back from Arizona to Sacramento was the car was brand new with no clear bra on it. Driving through the dry, windy desert made me worry about sandblasting the front of the car.

Drove from Sacramento to Salt Lake City for the VOI and was very comfortable...even though the drive back was in the rain.

Enjoy your new Viper.

George