Did you buy your Viper because of it's speed or style?

Greekislandsurf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the past 25+ years I have owned "as my fun ride" a 1961 Devin Roadster and have always been the only one with one, no matter if I was on the road or at car shows. This car stopped traffic and always drew a crowd due to it's style and rarety. But, this car had to be a round trip car since I could not lock it or walk away from it. The Devin was built in El Monte Ca. so I would consider it an American car, :usa: but it had a VW powerplant :dunno:. I now own a 2001 RT 10 Viper and it's tough but sleek Bad Boy looks, with it's Bad Boy power to back it up is what pulled me in and got in my head. It does not draw as much attention as the Devin did but I still feel I can do more with it and I know I'm not going to be at a stop light with another one next to me. We have something special here and I think we all know it!:drive:

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought my Dream car. I was 15 when it came out and fell in love with it. But never thought i would ever own one. It was the looks that got me hooked, then as i got older and before i bought it, it was how rare it was. It wasn't just another belly botton. Last but certainy not least the power. Power is easy to make. I've owned a Fast mustang that i have dumped money into, BUT no amount of money could make it look any where near as good as the Viper.
Oh and the V10 is a nice bragging right too.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i bought mine cuz i wanted something differant after haveing many corvettes- i never sat or drove a viper before i bought one

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My introduction to the Viper was getting in the passenger seat of a Gen1, the driver then dropped the hammer! Wow......Ive got to get myself one of these :D
A beautiful piece of American Auto art.
Loved the look of the GTS, nothing comes close!
But it was also the fact it had Racing history in Le mans 24hr

AND ITS AMERICAN Love it :headbang:

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a couple old muscle cars when I first drove a 94 Viper at Roanoke Motors. I never paid much attention to the Viper because of the price, but John took me for a ride and then let me drive it and I thought... Time to get more up to date. Muscle and modern looks. Had it not had the muscle I would still have an old muscle car, so I would say BOTH.

nt2L8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My situation is probably different than the vast majority of the members and guests here. I grew up with jeeps and trucks, then practical family vehicles. I never owned a sports car (not because I didn't want one) until I bought the Viper . At the point where I felt I could buy a car for the pure pleasure of enjoying it, I started researching and test driving all the typical brands. The last one was the Viper. In my opinion, there was no purer sports car out there. I don't care that it doesn't have a silky smooth ride; I don't care that it floats around on some of the rutted roads that I travel; I can live with the warm footwells in the summer; I love this car for what it is and what it was designed for, with very few compromises, and the fact that it is beautiful to look at is just icing on the cake. One happy owner - 1 1/2 years (+) and counting.

viper k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i bought mine to beat my buddy who owns corvettes and love the look of the 1996 gts!

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks and styling .... Nothing else like a Gen 2 Viper apart from Gen 1,3 and 4

Whats not to like....

You must be registered for see images attach

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy moly...that yellow just takes your breath away...beeyootiful. (But I'm biased anyway). :smirk:

Just saved Baz's pics as future wallpapers :2tu:

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen II is, without a doubt, a work of art! I absolutely LOVE the styling and it sure doesn't hurt that it's KICK ASS fast.

JustinB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If this tells you anything, I bought mine and had it delivered before I ever drove a Viper. I remember being at a classic car auction with over 600 of the nicest cars I have ever seen but only fell in love with one, the GTS! So I guess you can say it was style for me.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why did so many people like Clint Eastwood's character in the film Dirty Harry? Or Bronson's character in Death Wish or The Mechanic? Or the character in the recent film Hitman? The Viper stands outside the norm. It is a simple, capable, and competent elemental force. It, at least up untill now, has not been bogged down with fancy clutter and nanny tech. It requires a better skill set to drive it at the edge of its road course performance capability which exceeded ( Gen to Gen) just about every other car regardless of price. It has drawn criticism from many bureaucratic, pencil pushing, narcissistic automotive writers who refuse to admit that they do not have the driving skill set to handle a Viper and that it is not the car, it is them. These are the same people who minimize the incredible road racing results achieved by the Viper including the recent Ring record. These are the same people who celebrate and award mediocrity in the automotive world.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks, performance and exclusivity.Bought my 99 GTS for the same reason I bought my 68 Charger,68 Barracuda and 72 Challenger.Back in the 70's the Challenger and Cuda stuck out of the crowd unlike today you see Challengers everywhere and every day.I picked the Chally right after seeing the movie Vanishing Point.Had to wait for one with the 340 since most of them on lots were 318's and automatics.I've also seen only two 426 Hemi Cudas [ one was owned by a buddy] for a long time.Vettes, Camaros and Firebirds were everywhere.
The first time I saw the 1996 blue and white GTS debut, I knew had to have one one day!

garyw1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The look of course, really how many of these beauties do you see on the streets? OK I like the attention, lol. They are a pure piece of American art, to own one is a dream and a privelage. And of course I heard it all when I bought mine. Do I care? NO they're all just jealous.:2tu:

GTS Warp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I worked in the auto industry for 15 years and was running a company at the Port of Baltimore from '97 - '99. We were blown away when the GTS's started arriving in every color combo. They were badged as Chrysler units bound for Europe on car carrier ships. Although I love all Vipers, the GTS had the styling edge for me. We drove them before vessel loading and kept them in their own holding area. We never got them out of 2nd gear and the eyes were always on us, but man it was cool to be a part of. People were begging to work when the next shipments were due in. Then a friend bought his GTS in '01 and I was able to feel the catapult launch from the drivers seat many times. The Viper attracts everyone everywhere even if you are surrounded by exotics and muscle cars. Take a few out on the highway or around town and see what happens. People go nuts! The 'ol vette just ain't the same. :D

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't care for the RT/10 looks when it came out in '92. I was leary of it's performance because of what the magazines were saying about the Viper bite. I bought two Shelby Mustangs for less than the price of a Viper that year.

I always thought the Cobra Daytona Coupe was one of the sexiest cars ever built with the Ferrari GTO close behind so when the GTS came out I was hooked. Still didn't like what the magazines were writing and I wasn't sure about the big scallops in the front "fenders". I started joking with my then wife that when I had my midlife crisis I would buy a Viper GTS instead of looking for a young gal.

Just before I turned 50 my wife told me she was leaving. I was looking for a used Cobra Mustang for my step son and went to dealer to look at one and found a brand new '02 GTS ACR. In my opinion the best looking of all Vipers (even though I have a gen 4 now), so I bought it.

So looks first and performance second.

PICT00091.JPG

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Styling and head turning all the way. That's why I am not interested in anything beyond a Gen II. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've had it above double digits speeds in the 6 1/2 years I've owned mine.

PatrickG

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's fun to see a 6-year-old thread and have the same initial thought today that I had six years ago when I first replied.

Indeed, the car (GEN 2) is timeless like this thread. The GEN 2 is still the best looking/sexiest car out there even my car is more than 10 years old. Raw and "true" and delivers what it looks like.. This is why I bought it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21