Difference in ride quality between a GTS and ACR?

Saleen-Explorer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, what's up guys. 1st post, but I've been browsing on this forum for a long time, decided to join finally.

I've never ridden in a GTS but a friend of mine has an 00' ACR. What I'm wondering is how big of a difference is their between the ACR and GTS in terms of ride quality?

The reason I ask is b/c I know people are always talking smack about how the GTS is uncomfortable etc, but I honestly thought my friends ACR didn't ride bad considering what it's capable of, they keep it on the firmest setting and I think lowered it, and yeh it's very firm and stiff obviously but it didn't bother me at all.

Hell, they drive it back and forth between Kentucky to here in South Florida (Boca Raton). They own a Dodge dealer in Kentucky, so maybe sometime in the next few months we might buy a Final Edition GTS but the ACR's are almost the same price also so.....

BTW, Treynor your the man :D

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You always here in mags about the "quirks", "grizzly den comfort", etc. I noticed the ride wasn't as bad as the mags made it out to be when I took my first ride. I've come to the conclusion that mags can put in anything they want, and the reader won't know if it's true or not. When drove the Viper the first time, I barely noticed the pedal-offset (to the left), but nowhere near to the extent they b_tched about. I noticed some people on this board (not owners) and editors say the same stuff about the Viper. You have to drive the Viper to find out if the mags are right or not.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Ride comfort NOT on standard list of Viper attributes...however, a 99 ACR set on "street" settings is a harsher ride that a stock 97 GTS or an 01 GTS. By the same token, the ride in an SRT-10 is closer to an ACR than standard GTS ride, in MY opinion.

Bottom line, any Viper ride is a GREAT RIDE !!!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The Year Matters. Some ACRS are stiffer, some are WAAY stiffer.

1999 - mid 2000 ACRs had 3-way Koni shocks, and much softer spring rates (400-750) than 2000.5 - 2002. 2000.5-2002 have 3-way DSIs, and WHOPPER spring rates (500-1100)that are 'almost undriveble on rough roads' in my opinion.

On my own DSI-equipped ACR, I swapped the springs for a GREAT improvement and controllability on public roads.

GTSPOWERED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1997 GTS and considering the five back sugeries that I have been through I have no problems, I have the lumbar support pumped around 75% this gives me all the support I need. You only have to watch the RR tracks and drive with common since.

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I rode in a newer gts acr and i think it almost knocked my teeth out. Talk about riding hard :p . the springs are just too darn stiff.

Max

OP
OP
S

Saleen-Explorer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.

I just always thought it was funny at how people complain about the Viper GTS (or Viper in general) being uncomfortable/harsh, and here I am in my friends 00' ACR on the firmest setting and I thought it was comfortable lol. Just nice and firm, no bouncing, however he also told me he took out one of the later ACR's from his family's dealership and thought it rode like crap, and not crappy as in harsh, more like the suspension felt bouncy as hell and not as controlled as his 00' ACR.

BTW - Why did DC switch the suspension setups on the 2000.5+ ACR's??? Seems like everyone including my friend likes the suspension setup of the early ACR's better. :confused:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte