Difference on 2.5" vs 3" exhausts and tubes

Mike_W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Difference on 2.5\" vs 3\" exhausts and tubes

How do you determine what size tubing you need?

Is 3" tubing (I call it tubing, I don't know what it is called, I am stoopid) only for high HP cars, such as cars with S/C or TT?

Thanks,
Mike

b3rndtt0ast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Difference on 2.5

3 inch is fine for this displacement. do a little research other then haveing other people do it for you. www.google.com

OP
OP
M

Mike_W

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No Dan,

I don't want to research it. I want others telling me what is better because they know. When I research things, I don't get a definate answer. When someone who knows, answers, and they know first hand, then I prefer to listen. That is what this website is about isn't it? Asking questions and getting answers... And then me buying from them.

So why don't you google it for me and give me the answers? Quit being a hater. Just find out for me and be a good little boy. I don't ever do anything for myself, don't expect me to start now.

Mike

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey, I thought the Viper forum is for those who have questions so they don't have to do research. Did that change while I was away? Is this not still the place where knowledgeable Viper owners and fans come to help those of us who just got a Viper and those of us still waiting to become proud Viper owners? No question is a stupid question, if you don't know the answer, for knowledge is power, and it is wise to want to know. It's stupid to waist time doing research if you have a place to go to that has the answers, yet you don't utilize that source of knowledge. So, bring on the questions! :D

OP
OP
M

Mike_W

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dan is just angry because he is not me. I am used to it.

Mike

b3rndtt0ast

Enthusiast
Reaction score

angry? no. i wasnt given everything... like you.. now, would you want to know whats the best.. or know WHY its the best? anything can be said on the internet.. and if you think its all true.. have fun.

OP
OP
M

Mike_W

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dude, I was not given squat... Well maybe I was... I was given a dad who left us and a mom who died on us (not her fault) and neither of them had anything. So while she was dying and I was taking care of her, I learned early on that my success depended on me and no one else.

So there Mister.

Mike

b3rndtt0ast

Enthusiast
Reaction score

or what was this then

mike_w
"Just find out for me and be a good little boy. I don't ever do anything for myself, don't expect me to start now."

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dude, I was not given squat... Well maybe I was... I was given a dad who left us and a mom who died on us (not her fault) and neither of them had anything. So while she was dying and I was taking care of her, I learned early on that my success depended on me and no one else.

So there Mister.

Mike

man, this is getting deep and all from a simple little exhaust ?. ok, we are all listening.....

ps - since the tuners and manufacturers all use 3 inch, I assume it is best. I just take it for what it is....

OK, now back to the story. :D

OP
OP
M

Mike_W

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well, I don't do things for myself if someone else is better suited for it. I learned this a long time ago. My inexperience will cost me more than just hiring someone outright... I pay people to do things for me... but not things I can do myself easily.

If I have something I can do EASILY then I do it. Such as... I installed my First Strike shifter on my own. No help from anyone and I LOVED it. BUT... I had Dodge install the B&M shifter because I am incompetent.

So, if I can do them CORRECTLY myself, I will and I will do it happily.

When it comes to mechanics, I really can't do much. I would like to pretend I can, but I can't. Makes me mad sometimes (most of the time). I kind of want to hit up a tuner and tell them I will work for free, but I don't think I would be a good employee even if it were for free, so I won't make the offer.

One thing I have learned on these websites is... If someone knows the answer, or thinks they do... they will tell it for free.

Either out of ego, or kindness, or to show their expertise, but they will. On subjects I am knowledgable about, I do the same. Hell, I will spend more time explaining something I know about for FREE on a website, than I would do for my business. Not sure why I do this, but I do. I need to rethink things here.

But I know there are others like me. They just like helping when they can when they KNOW they are not going to get payment. It is different when you expect the person to pay you... You don't divulge info until the pay up. But when you never expect it, and they are asking for help of some kind, then it is nice to just help them... whether anonymously, or with your real name.

You just don't like me because of the other board. I saw your email address and I know who you are. But I am right about that issue, you are wrong. Just thought I would clarify that for you.

Have a fantastic day.
Mike

b3rndtt0ast

Enthusiast
Reaction score

wow, real hard to find out who i am :p fantasic day? na. its night...

OP
OP
M

Mike_W

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Did you google the answer for me yet?

Mike

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Difference on 2.5\" vs 3\" exhausts and tubes

Wow, really wish the "alley" threads would stay in alley.
As far as the 3 inch, mine has that size, without forced induction or too many other mods, but I think you may give up a little low end torque in exchange for a more robust "sweet spot" - this was all explained to me by a guy who tunes drag cars, designing custom intake and exhaust systems. He said that an exhaust system was the latter half of an interdependent system and that a too-freely flowing (for the input) exhaust system will lower low end grunt.
So, you maybe lose 20 FP or so down low and maybe pick up 20 or more up higher. Kind of a wash.

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Man, this thread is wasted now. Maybe you should repost in a week or so. Sorry, but you really should be able to get more serious answers on this site. The BS should stay in the back alley.

3" is fine, but so is 2 1/2. The sound is a little different between them. Sometimes I wonder if I should've gone 2 1/2 on my genI so help with all the sidepipe noise. On a genII, the sound is directed out the back, away from your ears. IMHO, a 3" catback is a waste of large tubing if you're never going to do headers and a highflow cat. You'll get just as much power with a muffler change/delete.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

opnwide is right thats B.S. the man has a question either post if you can help him or just ****, this aint the alley

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Difference on 2.5\" vs 3\" exhausts and tubes

Plan for the future - that'll help you decide.

If you wish to stay essentially stock - go for 2.5" - it'll be quieter and less prone to drone or waking neighbors

If you plan to do other mods later - the 3" will flow plenty. It'll sound more hotrod too if that is what you want. if it loses anything down low - you won't feel it because the sound will make it feel faster... :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang