Differential Lube

john2456

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2003 srt-10 has 19,000 easy miles. Never tracked. Differential is flawless,no binding,no noise. I spoke to a Dodge repair tech and he said , "If it runs great, leave it alone,don't screw with it". Manual says change lube at 22,500 miles. I wonder if this is to protect Dodge from a liability angle,more than a real need to service it. I have had number of high performance cars and the Diff fluid was a life-time deal ??????

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ALL the Techs on this forum recommend diff fluid changes at like 10-15k intervals. When I changed my diff at 10k to the 08 unit, I was shocked how dirty the fluid was from my OE diff.

If nothing else, it's cheap insurance...right?

OP
OP
J

john2456

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hank, I have to agree. I downloaded the part numbers for both 75-140 oil and the modifier to insure no screw-ups when I bring car to dealership in a few weeks. I have heard nightmares of shops forgetting to add the friction modifier.

OP
OP
J

john2456

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a similar note, how about brake fluid ? Mine is the color of apple juice,not sure if it should be clear in color like water. Maybe do at same time as don't want moisture issue destroying caliper pots.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since brake fluid is hydroscopic (absorbs water) flushing every 2 years is smart. Saves the lines from corrosion and keeps the boiling point high Obviously tracking the car increases the need exponentially.

1buddyc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take a look at your Clutch Fluid too. I was amazed at how dirty mine was. Plus the Clutch Fluid Line runs close to the Left Exhaust Manifold. Even though the Manifold is shielded, the Clutch Fluid gets heated up severely, especially here in Texas. I wasn't aware of the Fluid Line until I actually was shown where to look..
I had the Brake Fluid and Clutch Fluid both changed along with the Fuel Filter last month. Rear End Fluid was changed last year.

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2003 srt-10 has 19,000 easy miles. Never tracked. Differential is flawless,no binding,no noise. I spoke to a Dodge repair tech and he said , "If it runs great, leave it alone,don't screw with it". Manual says change lube at 22,500 miles. I wonder if this is to protect Dodge from a liability angle,more than a real need to service it. I have had number of high performance cars and the Diff fluid was a life-time deal ??????

Be sure to add the friction modifier. The fluid change will help but you can't forget the additive! Mopar gear oil and modified is pricey but you can't do without it. I used Royal Purple gear lube and the Mopar additive when I changed my fluid. While you have it up, do the transmission too - just be sure to use the right stuff. I change my coolant too and it is a time consuming pain but less so than a motor.

OP
OP
J

john2456

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you to all. I will change out all fluids in October before Viper goes to sleep for winter. Small price to pay to keep all the parts lubed and working correctly. My best, John