Dirty White Stripes on my GTS

ERDOC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What have you guys used to remove the stains on the white stripes on the rear bumper from the exhaust gases?

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
It may not be removable...

If the "burns" are deep enough ... sometimes it actually eats through the white AND clearcoat.

This is the heated residue from the exhaust.

Many have said that Snake Oyl's pipes, being a bit longer, tend to eliminate this issue.

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keeping the rear bumper area clear of soot and carbon is an act of futility. If you must, try the following:

After washing the car, clay bar the area to clean up any surface contaminants. Follow it up with 3M cleaner/degreaser. You should be able to remove those little black specks using 3M hand glaze or the One Step Cleaner Wax. Follow up with wax.

You must be registered for see images

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the cleaner wax Dave is talking about... I actually think I like it better than the Zaino I use.

It's in my garage... just grab it the next time you come by.

BluBite

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's simple to remove. Go buy Krud Kutter at any Home Depot or Lowes. Spray on and wipe off. I've used it for years.

FE92

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'll need a Seven Nation Army to help.

I'm gonna fight em off
A seven nation army couldn't hold me back
they're gonna rip it off
Taking their time right behind my back... :2tu:

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now I gotta go find my CD and listen to it!

I heard the dummer is the sister to the singer and she's hot?

I'm gonna fight em off
A seven nation army couldn't hold me back
they're gonna rip it off
Taking their time right behind my back... :2tu:

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After trying everything possible to remove these spots without success I decided to look at them with a magnifying glass. What I found were actual burn holes through the clear coat and the white paint allowing the blue under coat to show through. The only way to make them disappear (at least the larger ones) is to use a very tiny pointed paint brush (from an art store) and carefully dab a drop of the white touchup paint into the hole. It sometimes helps to dilute it a bit with some lacquer thinner. It makes them disappear if you are standing a few feet away. Interestingly I don't have any on my FE GTS with stock exhaust, but a lot of them with the '96 which has a Borla cat back.
Just my take on it....

Bob K

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll have to keep that in mind when I put my Borla catback on next year.

Before, on my '96GTS, I applied some clear static cling film over the areas that were getting all the debris from the exhaust. I may have to get some more...

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After trying everything possible to remove these spots without success I decided to look at them with a magnifying glass. What I found were actual burn holes through the clear coat and the white paint allowing the blue under coat to show through. The only way to make them disappear (at least the larger ones) is to use a very tiny pointed paint brush (from an art store) and carefully dab a drop of the white touchup paint into the hole. It sometimes helps to dilute it a bit with some lacquer thinner. It makes them disappear if you are standing a few feet away. Interestingly I don't have any on my FE GTS with stock exhaust, but a lot of them with the '96 which has a Borla cat back.
Just my take on it....

Bob K

Yeah, my final edition never got them till I got the borla. Mine don't seem to be burn marks though. If I bush my ass I can get them off.

OP
OP
E

ERDOC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just used some Turtle Wax Polishing compound and the black soot came right off! Thanks for the tips!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang