Disappointed in paint finish on 08.......

Fast1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just in to the Chapman Dodge dealership to see their GTS Blue 08. I have to tell you that the paint left a lot to be desired. I thought the body panels were being shipped off to Saleen for final paint, crated up and shipped back for assembly? It did not look much better than the paint on any Neon or Caliber. Now I also saw a Venom Red and Snakeskin Green car at the Russo/Steel auction here in Phoenix and they looked better. Although they had a few areas jammed with rubbing compound leading me to believe that they were cut and buffed for the show. I have a black 08 on order through Performance Dodge and I am hoping that the paint problems are only with the early cars. My 06 looks great so now I am a bit concerned with the upgrade ........ although 600 horses does smooth out a little orangepeel. I just don't want to have to cut and buff my car the first weekend I have it.

JACKED DADDY

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree with that statement. I was at Buhler this week and they had a snakeskin green on the showroom floor next to two 06s. I couldnt believe the orange peel. I was so concerned that I called over the saleman to show him. He told me it was the lighting. NOT

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the great disappointments in Gen 3s (I have had 2) is the paint. Vipers were the state of the art in paint at one point, but the new cars get rock chips easily and the paint is just poor. I was used to orange peel and bad paint in my Vettes but I never thought Vipers would would get to this point. My early Vipers were bullet proof, paint wise --although otherwise not as good as Gen 3s.

cbarber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Saw a blue 08 at Roanoke last week and thought it was beautiful. The blue and black interior was gorgeous too.
CB

Les Quam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The paint on my 08 SSG is perfect and the overall paint quality is as good or better than the 06 Viper it's parked next to in the garage. My 08 was delivered with a little compund here and there and came right off.

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paint quality on the 2008 is excellent. Maybe I'm more easily pleased than others. I had no issues with paint on the 06 either. The look of the paint on the 03 was fine, but I had loads of stone chips--not a problem on the 06.

OP
OP
F

Fast1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes that is the one I saw. I am just commenting because of the fact that my Black 06 coupe is great considering it was a factory finish. Although I am a bit more picky because I am in the auto refinishing and restoration industry.