DLM Intercooler Upgrade is a must!

Wicked

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just installed it this past weekend and must say that it is just a great upgrade. The Intercooler itself is twice as long and about 2" taller then the stock Paxton unit. The Pump is over twice the size. Not sure of flow rate difference.

Install overall was a breeze. Took me about 2 hours taking my time. I'm sure it could be done in half the time.

As far as results after a 30minute trip the car has the same power it did when I first started the car up. Before the car would lose traction in 1st gear omw to work and wouldn't when I got close to work. Now I lose traction in 1st all the time! lol

That and Doug at DLM is top notch and VERY Helpful and knowledgeable about Vipers. I think I paid $700 for this upgrade and got at least that much worth in advise.

For those Paxton guys out theere, I seriously recommend you look into this upgrade. It was really a night and day difference for my car. Took the car to drag strip after the install and ran back to back [email protected] runs (15minutes apart) I guarntee this would have not been possible before. 2.0 60's. I did get a 1.85 60' but managed to miss 3rd. :( Have some PS2's from Jon B coming, hopefully that will help some.

Thanks Doug!
Jason

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just installed it this past weekend and must say that it is just a great upgrade. The Intercooler itself is twice as long and about 2" taller then the stock Paxton unit. The Pump is over twice the size. Not sure of flow rate difference.

Install overall was a breeze. Took me about 2 hours taking my time. I'm sure it could be done in half the time.

As far as results after a 30minute trip the car has the same power it did when I first started the car up. Before the car would lose traction in 1st gear omw to work and wouldn't when I got close to work. Now I lose traction in 1st all the time! lol

That and Doug at DLM is top notch and VERY Helpful and knowledgeable about Vipers. I think I paid $700 for this upgrade and got at least that much worth in advise.

For those Paxton guys out theere, I seriously recommend you look into this upgrade. It was really a night and day difference for my car. Took the car to drag strip after the install and ran back to back [email protected] runs (15minutes apart) I guarntee this would have not been possible before. 2.0 60's. I did get a 1.85 60' but managed to miss 3rd. :( Have some PS2's from Jon B coming, hopefully that will help some.

Thanks Doug!
Jason

Great numbers, I sure would like to see what you get with the PS2's. Doug Levin builds some awesome products. KUDOS

:drive:

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS2's = 10's!

I just had my PS2's installed earlier this week and even though I've only got about <15 miles on them so far, they do hook better! Ride better too.:)

Sadly, I'm still basically stock.:dunno:

Congrats!:2tu: I'm very jealous.

OP
OP
W

Wicked

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got this off another thread. But here is a picture of the pump compared to the stock paxton
100_0553.JPG

And this is the intercooler mounted in the car. Really hard to see, but it's 2x wider then the stock one.
100_0564.JPG

Doug also has a new Tensioner thing that I have ordered. Going to fix my belt slip which is really bad. Here is a copy of my 666 dyno graph. At one point, it looks like I'm losing about 100rwhp.

OP
OP
W

Wicked

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Hoping to go to the track next Friday and get some new times on the tires. :)

Jason

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a pic of the DLM cooler compared to stock paxton. I also have the DLM cooler & pump.

dlm_cooler.jpg

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My buddy has the Intercooler installed on my G3 coupe. I will take it to the dyno and see if it helps. I think it will not help peak power just stop alot of the heat soak. Mine dynoed 704rwhp so we will see. I have a question will water wetter from redline help cool a little better in the aftercooler?

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kenric,

I've had success with WW in the Shelby/BOSS/Pantera cars. Was planning on running a mix of 70/30 water/antifreeze plus WW in my intercooler when I swap the DLM items this week.. I'm in MD, and (hopefully) my cars would never see a freeze in the garage.

OP
OP
W

Wicked

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Basic Install Instructions of what I did:

1. Remove the belly pan on the front of your car.
2. The old pump is hanging there on the passengerside. Remove it.
My Pump was angled in such a way I could not simply put the new pump in the exact same spot. New Pump is so much larger and would not allow the belly pan to rebolt back up.
3. I removed the threaded coolant **** from the coolant resivour
4. Retaped it(I used ARP Head Stud sealer, Liquid Teflon tape basically)
5. Then reinstalled it. I angled the **** towards the front of the car. Was previously installed pointing towards the Drivers side.
--- Get out from under the car
6. Unbolt Old Intercooler and Remove it. Just push the Powersteering cooler(or whatever that small one is) towards the front of the car.
7. Take Two Pieces of large cardboard(cut to fit) and place them on the front and back of your new intercooler. Tape it on the top so they don't fall off while handling. Your basically doing this as to avoid damaging the fins of the Intercooler while placing it in the car.
8. After you have your New intercooler in place, remove the Cardboard. Take 4 fairly large zip ties and feed them through the fins on the top of the intercooler. 2 on each side of the Hood Latch evenly spaced for looks. Then ZipTie the intercooler to that bar. You can also zip tie the new intercooler to the powersteering lines there, but I found it not needed. Mines not moving anywhere anytime soon.
9. Take your old coolant Lines and route them so that you can connect your new pump with your new Intercooler.
10. I was unable to simply get my coolant line from the pump to connect to the angled bar on the Intercooler. For now I hooked it up to the straight one and had the angled one feed the other coolant line. I'm going to get a angled piece of Coolant Line from Autozone to hook up correctly. I doubt it really matters but, might as well do it perfect.
11. Rehook all your lines back up.
12. Bolt your Powersteering cooler back up
13. Put a 70% water 30% Coolant mix back into the system. Doug said to use green as our cars use the orange coolant. Good advise. This way if something is leaking, you know if it's your engine coolant or Supercharget coolant. Since I didn't want to reflush my system. I used Preston Yellow Coolant (safe to mix with ALL types of coolants). DO NOT MIX ORANGE AND GREEN COOLANTS. You must use the correct type of coolant or you are going to have a nasty mess on your hands.
14. Burping sucked. But I basically just turned my key on and off about 20x and let it sit overnight and redid it 5 more times and it was all done.

Sorry I have no pictures. I thought about doing it while I was there, but didn't get a chance. Sorry these directions may **** too, as I've never written directions before. lol

Anyway, hope this helps give you and idea of what to do.

Jason

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth