DLM SC INSTALL

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did a lot of research on the Paxton blower and those who install them and some of you have been very helpful with your suggestions especially Ab(Adam)in Crestwood Ky. Their are some great tuners around but I went with DLM. Doug is a great person and he is certainly a great tuner if not the best. I feel extremely comfortable with Doug doing the install. He kept in touch with me with every step of the way and was and will continue to be there for any questions or concerns. Top notch honesty and integrity. All his systems are built bullet proof and he backs his product, no matter how long you have it.

These are the things that DLM installed

Paxton SC including most of the level 1 system
Split Second Computer System
New Damper
Large DLM Intercooler and Pump
Light weight Fly wheel(spec)
Exhaust changes(DLM exhaust system with HF cat)
Boost Gauge
Raptor Shift light(mounted on pillar)

Thanks to Ab the Viper had the 3.55 gear Mopar Hurst Shifter and club sport motons already installed.

Doug tested my Viper with all the installs mentioned above. He likes the 3.55 gear and the fly wheel with my set up ,especially with the new Hoosier A6 tires on the rear(345/30/19). I changed to these rear tires because I don't drive in the rain , put low miles on the Viper and needed a tire that would stick. Doug is impressed with the tires. He has spent a lot of time personally with my Viper and took it to a tuner day at a track to test and tweak. He said their was no fish tailing with the Hoosiers. They warm up real quick and stick great and mentioned that he is very pleased with the way the Viper performed.

When Doug Levin says he is pleased with the way the Viper performed I knew I would also be pleased .

Since I have ,with other cars, used slicks at the track and on the street I know what to expect. Tire mileage will not be good but this is the price I will have to pay to gain a very sticky tire. With my set up and what I want to do with the Viper the tires are a good choice but I would not recommend the tires for a Viper that will be driven in all kinds of weather conditions. Also I will have the clear 3M installed in different places to help keep rock chips at a minimum.

I got my Viper back and for the past few days I have been doing some testing. Wow-what a neat install. Ive had high HP cars before but not like this one. The Viper performs great with the DLM SC install and tune, like a sling shot, and below 3200 rpm the Viper is much quicker. The 3.55 gear and light weight fly wheel and tires complements the SC and really helped my Viper to perform, I think, even better. I had some questions about the 3.55 gear and fly wheel but Doug told me to just wait and that I would love it. He was right.

The Viper sounds great at idle and very little lurching at the low speeds with the fly wheel. The DLM exhaust has that good low pitch rumble at idle and when you go WOT hang on and the exhaust sounds mean and no drone.

I cant say enough good things about the DLM SC install and the Hoosier A6 tires on the rear. A great performing sticky tire. I even tried the Viper out in the rain and as long as I was careful everything was ok.

Here are some pics of the Viper with the SC-tires-boost gauge and raptor shift light.

000_0164_edited-1.jpg

000_0163_edited-1.jpg

000_0209_edited-1.jpg

000_0199_edited-1.jpg

000_0201_edited-1.jpg

000_0177_edited-3.jpg

000_0208_edited-1.jpg

000_0204_edited-1.jpg

000_0203_edited-1.jpg

Nick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i actually got a chance to peek at your car when it was at dougs when i brought mine there for the DLM SC install, beautiful car and #1 workmanship from doug

congrats

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the info. So with the lighter flywheel, your Viper lurches less than it did before? I would think it would have been worse.

ZO6KLR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congratulations on getting your car back. The installation looks great, and I don't have to guess about performance. Get that thing to a dyno and lets see some numbers!!

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Nick-is yours done-cant wait to hear your report. Are you going to the DLM level 2. If you have not received your Viper yet you are in for a treat. Its unbelievable how quick and fast it is.

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats Gene, I know you're proud.

I really like the 3.55/Paxton combination as well. Any track or dyno numbers?

Take care
John

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperbilliam-definitely not worse on the lurching. About like stock I get a little. I ask Doug about this before the install and he said it would not be worse. Doug is a great tuner and does magic with the Viper.

Z06KLR-I was going to have Doug put it on the dyno but the transport company called and said they could pick up the Viper that day and get it to me 900 miles away the next day, and the Viper was ready except for the dyno. We dedcided to do this and got it the next evening-that was a fast & efficient delivery. When I go to Louisville for the alignment I will have it put on the dyno.

John K-notice the V1 holder thanks for the tip I really like it. Still got to install the invisicord.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
looks great Gene!

Make sure you don't go killing yourself now. I know how you have a lead foot. With great power comes great responsibility...LOL! (Spiderman movie!)

Can't wait to see it.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
looks great. doug is an asset to us all here. he has helped me a few times very recently and i didn't buy the kit from him, i got it from one of his customers.

yours looks great. enjoy it and be safe.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks good. Two questions. First, why the shift light? The car comes with a shift light that comes on just before redline. It is the same arrow that is used for the skip shift but appears red. Second, if you do not mind disclosing the data, how much did all of the mods cost? Thank you in advance for your reply.

Bob

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob-I was having a hard time seeing the little stock shift light-at my age I need all the help I can get. My Raptor, which has the very bright blue light, is positioned where I don't have to go looking for it and I never have to glance down or take my eye off the road. Also with the raptor you can set the light to come on at the rpm of your choice. I set the light to come on at a lower rpm because my reaction time is not as good as a younger man. With the mods I have now believe me the rpm builds up extremely quick.

I know the light is not every ones cup of tea but I really like it. I have mentioned this before - I have been guilty of hitting the rev limiter some but not with the raptor. Oh how I hate hitting that rev limiter it not only cost you time but not good for engine.

Now a driver like Doug Levin and others doesn't need a shift light they can tell by the sound of the engine when to shift and shift at the correct rpm. I haven't got to that place yet. Maybe after I get more use to the Viper I will not have to use the light.

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice ride , Doug L. helped me with my 97 B&W GTS Paxton install with some good long distance tech support . He knows his Paxton super chargers, Mine makes 742 RWHP and ran a 10.6 @ 133mph at only 8-9 lbs of boost...........

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I cant say enough good things about the DLM SC install and the Hoosier A6 tires on the rear. A great performing sticky tire. I even tried the Viper out in the rain and as long as I was careful everything was ok.

000_0177_edited-3.jpg

Congrats on your DLM beast. If you’re going to supercharge your SRT, Doug Levin is the man.

I would like to hear more about the Hoosier A6 tires you have on your SRT-C.
Why did you choose the Autocross type A6 tires instead of the Road race type R6 tires?
Are you running the Hoosier A6’s on stock 19x13 wheels?
What tires are you running in the front?
What psi are you running A6’s on the street and how is the straight line launch and lateral road holding performance?
Do these tires need to be warmed up before they get sticky?

Thanks.

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for comments everyone.

Viperspray-Don't know if my Viper would go over 700 rwhp or not. I know that Doug said much over that and one would need to have interal changes etc or go to his level 2 set up.

Insomniac

1. The A6 has a softer compound than the R6. The A6 was developed for auto cross and I think they would be better for drag. On the road course the R6 would be the best. I would probably get little better tire mileage with the R6. Be tempting the next tire change to go with the R6 and see what happens.

2.I have the stock 19/13 wheels

3. I have the stock Pirelli 18" on the front. Had the 355/25/19 Pirelli on the rear. A fair tire much better than run flats. But did have quite a bit of wheel spin with them and some fish tailing. More than I wanted. In cold weather really had to warm them up good to get them to stick. A great riding tire but still was not what I was looking for. I would like to have a extra set of rear rims and possibly put on the Pirelli for the summer.

4. I am still in process of trying different tire pressures. Ive run from 24-28. I think at the drag track ill go with 24 and on the street probably 26 to 28. I need a little more testing time with psi.

Straight line launch is tremendous the tire hooks up very very good. No fish tailing at all. Ive only had the Viper back for a few days so more testing needs to be done but so far the lateral road holding performance is also very good.

5. Even In cold weather the A6 tire needs very little warm up. If I come right out of the garage with no warm up at all on dry pavement-I can make it spin a little on a hard launch. But just a little warm up and they are ready to go. Now in the hot summer time or warmer weather It will be interesting to see how the tires react. The Viper will not fish tail with the A6.

Again yesterday I had the Viper out on wet pavement for testing. Really they did fine. Now in heavy rain conditions I would need to really watch it. But I don't drive the Viper in bad weather.

Tire mileage I would say-depending on how I drive-4000 miles. Shoot if I never got on it I could do fair in tire mileage. But that aint going to happen especially with the Paxton install. ;)

Coming out of the garage yesterday after a rain their was a pretty good wet spot and I thought I would really warm the the tires up good. After a little smoke and the loud exhaust. I looked over to the right and there was my wife with hands on hips shaking her head. I rolled down the window and asked her whats wrong. She said-I feel sorry for you if you cant figure that out. Dog gone Viper gets me into more trouble but I love it. Life is wonderful when you have a Viper.

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HISS,

It will be interesting to see what short times and 1/4 mile times you can come up with at the track with that combination. Good luck..

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Insomniac

1. The A6 has a softer compound than the R6. The A6 was developed for auto cross and I think they would be better for drag. On the road course the R6 would be the best. I would probably get little better tire mileage with the R6. Be tempting the next tire change to go with the R6 and see what happens.

2.I have the stock 19/13 wheels

3. I have the stock Pirelli 18" on the front. Had the 355/25/19 Pirelli on the rear. A fair tire much better than run flats. But did have quite a bit of wheel spin with them and some fish tailing. More than I wanted. In cold weather really had to warm them up good to get them to stick. A great riding tire but still was not what I was looking for. I would like to have a extra set of rear rims and possibly put on the Pirelli for the summer.

4. I am still in process of trying different tire pressures. Ive run from 24-28. I think at the drag track ill go with 24 and on the street probably 26 to 28. I need a little more testing time with psi.

Straight line launch is tremendous the tire hooks up very very good. No fish tailing at all. Ive only had the Viper back for a few days so more testing needs to be done but so far the lateral road holding performance is also very good.

5. Even In cold weather the A6 tire needs very little warm up. If I come right out of the garage with no warm up at all on dry pavement-I can make it spin a little on a hard launch. But just a little warm up and they are ready to go. Now in the hot summer time or warmer weather It will be interesting to see how the tires react. The Viper will not fish tail with the A6.

Again yesterday I had the Viper out on wet pavement for testing. Really they did fine. Now in heavy rain conditions I would need to really watch it. But I don't drive the Viper in bad weather.

Tire mileage I would say-depending on how I drive-4000 miles. Shoot if I never got on it I could do fair in tire mileage. But that aint going to happen especially with the Paxton install. ;)

Coming out of the garage yesterday after a rain their was a pretty good wet spot and I thought I would really warm the the tires up good. After a little smoke and the loud exhaust. I looked over to the right and there was my wife with hands on hips shaking her head. I rolled down the window and asked her whats wrong. She said-I feel sorry for you if you cant figure that out. Dog gone Viper gets me into more trouble but I love it. Life is wonderful when you have a Viper.

Interesting. I might give the Hoosier A6 or R6’s a try once I’m done with the sport cups. :2tu: :2tu:
I just need to see how they’ll handle 1200 RWHP.

It’d be interesting to see how many miles you will get from the A6’s and what problems you’ll have driving those tires on the street besides the wet traction problems.

Please report back every now and then with your daily driving experience on the A6’s.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John K-notice the V1 holder thanks for the tip I really like it. Still got to install the invisicord.

I remember seeing an old post that showed where you could get one of those v1 holders. ITs something the 350Z guys came up with, but they have a generic one, can you show me the link to the place, so I can order it?

Also any information on how you did the invisicord install? I just got my v1 this week, and im so excited to get it installed perminantly/correctly that I still havent put it in my car, because I dont want the wires all over the place and the suction cups on the window.

Let me know, much appeciated.

Jon

redlightrich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Hiss, great install, will the 3.55's lower top speed, or will it make 6th a usable gear? With 3.07's, top speed is accomplished in 5th gear. On the Hoosier's, are they lighter than the run flats? Do they have any tread at all, or are they slicks? I understand not driving in the rain, as I dont either. Is there anyway you could post pix of tire tread, or PM me a picture. I have been wondering if there is a lighter, stickier safe street tire, asuming cost and frequent replacement doesn't matter.

Thanks, Rich.

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Redlightrich-It will lower the top end some. For me I gladly gave up a little top end for what the 3.55 did for the low and mid range. You will have to shift out of first at a little lower speed. But it really turned my Viper on in gears 2-4. It made a good difference in 5th gear and made 6th more usable. I love the gear. It also works great with my paxton set up. My stock Viper was quicker with the 3.55 gear but with the paxton it is very quick.

I really like the A6. It heats up very quick. Gives much more potential to put the power down than run flats or even the 355/25/19 Pirelli's that I had on the rear. Don't get me wrong the Pirelli is a good tire much better than the run flats but still would spin and fish tail in 1st and 2nd. With the A6 tires you hook up and go, like I mentioned, straight as a arrow.

I talked with Hoosier about the A6 & R6-they said their is not a lot of difference but that the A6 did have softer compound. I want to see how the A6 does at the drag strip. I hope they don't blister for street use. If they do then I would go with the R6.

You will need to have some 3M clear protection because the soft compound will really pick up those pesky little rocks.

A6 Info
-tread depth-4/32"
-Tire weight 30 lbs-lighter than run flats
-Over all diam.-26.8"

I will post how the tires hold up and any problems I have with them.

ho_a6_ci2_l.jpg

redlightrich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Hiss, thanks for the in depth reply. I bet those new gears are lots of fun. I would imagine 6th is just too low to be a top speed gear, regardless of the rear. I believe it is .5? If so, then it will be a cruise gear. Those tires look great!!!! I too hope they dont blister from street use. Well, thanks again for the reply, and thanks for a great post, enjoy your power!!!!
All the best, Rich.

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sixth gear is a cruising gear for me-only use it on the expressways. I wish I could help you with more info on the very top end. For the top speed testing that I have done I never went above 5th gear.

BTW-another thing about the A6 and even the R6-they are a soft tire really not made or recommended for street use.

On the street they may not hold up with a hard hit on a *** hole or hard object. So one would have to be careful. I have a few things in the trunk that I can use in case of a flat, but for a blow out-man I don't know what I would do. I do know-I would just have to have it towed. I need to get me a extra rim or two or at least have a rim and tire at home.

For my info-The worse case scenario-I have to be towed. I wonder what would have to be used to tow my lowered Viper in a safe way. Any problems??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ar Tee Ten