Do I have a short?

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey today I was trying to take some exhaust off so I was laying under the rear of the car. my face touched the frame and I got a zap. Anyways, it became uncomfortable working on my car so i tried to figure out what was wrong. It ends up i took off the trickle charger and the zaps were gone. Is this normal when on a charger or do I have a short somewhere.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can easily tell if it was a static discharge. The discharge is momentary and it is gone. A second touch to the same surface will show no further discharge. There are exceptions, but, not in this case. An actual shock is continuous, in addition, a repeat touch of the same surface will shock you again.

The garage should have all receptacles on GFCI circuits, therefore, the receptacle GFCI outlet or branch circuit, circuit breaker should have tripped. Let's play devils advocate, and assume it was not a static discharge there are then a couple of possibilities:

1. A large percentage of all GFCI receptacles manufactured prior to 2007 are faulty, the internal electronic sensing circuit fails. When they fail they will continue to supply the circuit. Since 2007 a change made by UL requires the GFCI receptacle to open the circuit when the electronics fails. If your GFCI was faulty and an older model (pre 2007) the receptacle would not have protected you and you would have been shocked. Conversely, theoretically you cannot receive multiple shocks if the GFCI is working.

2. The next question is, why would it happen, there are two possibilities, you have a tool or appliance with bad insulation. The most obvious is that the battery charger is faulty. To test it, set it up on the battery and plug it into a GFCI that is known to be operating correctly. The second problem could be that somewhere within the building a neutral and ground wire have been swapped. If you decide it is not a static discharge and the charger is not faulty, get yourself a receptacle polarity tester and go to it.

Hey today I was trying to take some exhaust off so I was laying under the rear of the car. my face touched the frame and I got a zap. Anyways, it became uncomfortable working on my car so i tried to figure out what was wrong. It ends up i took off the trickle charger and the zaps were gone. Is this normal when on a charger or do I have a short somewhere.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can easily tell if it was a static discharge. The discharge is momentary and it is gone. A second touch to the same surface will show no further discharge. There are exceptions, but, not in this case. An actual shock is continuous, in addition, a repeat touch of the same surface will shock you again.

this is somewhat true. i'd shock it with my face, and the touch it with my hand to see what was going on and there was nothing. then later i'd touch it with my arm and get shocked, but not when id touch it with my hand. later i touched the bolts with my hand and i kept getting shocked. so yes it was now and then. anyways, thanks for the help guys....as long as it's not something wrong with the viper, and it's possibly something with the trickle charger...i can handle that

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep in mind it only takes 1/10 of an amp to cause fibrillation in a 200 lb person.

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be sure your charger/garage is properly grounded. Laying on ground makes you the ground if you have skin in contact with it. I have been zapped due to poor grounding and trickle chargers. The car can be live because it is insulated from the ground due to tires. Typically jack stands would ground the car to the concrete, but I wouldn't rely on it. Just make sure that you always disconnect your machine from the house current before you work on it just to be sure. You don't want to be any type of grounding circuit.

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be sure your charger/garage is properly grounded. Laying on ground makes you the ground if you have skin in contact with it. I have been zapped due to poor grounding and trickle chargers. The car can be live because it is insulated from the ground due to tires. Typically jack stands would ground the car to the concrete, but I wouldn't rely on it. Just make sure that you always disconnect your machine from the house current before you work on it just to be sure. You don't want to be any type of grounding circuit.

ya, I assume it was the trickle charger. I have never had anything like that happen to me so I thought something was wrong with the car. Good to know it's not the car. Will make sure not to work on the car when plugged onto the trickle charger again :)

JAY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You probably had built up a static charge , and discharged though your car . It takes about 60 to 100 volts to break through your skin , 80 milliamps is enough to stop your heart . Sounds like static induction. I have seen people in High Voltage Power Stations build up a charge in excess of 140 volts ! :omg: