Do I want a Viper as a daily driver?

Dozer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm looking for advice from people that already own Vipers, specifically RT/10s.

I've owned an RX-7 Twin Turbo for 4 years, it was running about 400hp at 2700lbs, and I just love it. The problem is, the engine just went (cheap Mazda rebuild in there from the warranty co). I've got a warranty till august, and I'm just going to have a new engine dropped in there, and sell it.

I want to replace it with either a C5 Convertible (with some mods), or a Viper. Right now the C5 is in the lead, because it's a better daily driver.

What I'd like to know is could a RT/10 be used as a daily driver? I'm used to a stiff ride, and almost no cargo space, mileage isn't a problem, but I would like amenities like WINDOWS, air conditioning, etc...

Any suggestions? Should this wussie boy just stick to a more 'civil' C5, or can I make a Viper work? I love the looks, the power, the torque, the handling, etc...But I will want to use it on weekends for fun and days where it's raining too much to take my motorcycle.

Note: I'm in the SF Bay Area, and would love to go for a ride/test drive in an RT/10 (1st Gen or 2nd) to see if it's what's right for me. Anyone around that could give me a ride?

sleepersn95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't like 'verts since suntanned my head a few years ago. But I drive my 2001 GTS and i can say it is just as comfortable as many other cars I have driven. Getting used to the pedals is the only pain, but it is not so bad.

OP
OP
D

Dozer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool, so it'll have to be a gen 2 then, right?

A bit more than I wanted to spend, but if I get a deal I think I can swing it.

Yes, I *DO* need power locks, and actual windows. :] I have a full garage to keep it in, so that shouldn't be a problem. A 450hp viper should be a little tougher than a 400hp RX-7 in the rain due to the torque, but I'm fairly used to that too (highly modded 5.0 in my past, etc...)

What's the Bay Area VCA? Viper owners association? How do I find em? :] I really need to beg borrow/steal my way into a RT/10 to see if I like it. I'll let em drive the RX-7, or ride the motorcycle if it gives em a *****. (Brand new Triumph, as long as they have a license of course!!) Could even set em up with a free domain, or webhosting, or... <GRIN>

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dozer!

We have something in common - My previous car was a 94 RX7tt. I loved that car! What a thrill to drive- stuck to the road like glue! Now, having said all that. Trust me, the experience in my Viper is more than twice as good.

I too considered the C5. In fact, I bought one. Luckily, I had a chance to get my RT/10 before the C5 arrived to the Dealer. Best thing Chevrolet ever did for me - they took too long to get my car.

I use the RT as my Daily Driver - NO LEAKS. The biggest problem I have is that I feel the car is a moving piece of Art - EVERYBODY looks at it. So I insist on keeping it in Pristine exterior condition. So I spend too much time washing and waxing. But I am willing to pay that price for how much fun this car is to own and drive. My opinion - FORGET the C5. Going from the RX to the C5 is hardly an upgrade. The Viper is in a different league.

Send me an Email if you have any specific questions!

Regards,

OP
OP
D

Dozer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I spent literally hours last night pouring through the used 97+ RT/10 listings, and don't think it would be a problem to get myself into one.

Now I just need to finagle my way into a test drive somehow.

Stares? I don't mind stares a bit! Just got divorced a couple years back, and I'm not good at meeting the ladies, so any help in that department would be appreciated! Not looking for a 'pimpmobile' here, but it sure wouldn't hurt. God I'm gonna love having mountains of torque. :]

OP
OP
D

Dozer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow! Just took a look at SF Rentals, and it's only $250 for 5 hours in a Viper and 75 miles? That's fine by me.

If you'd like to split a rental Justin, let's do it. I'm sure that '37.5 miles' would be far more than enough for me to tell if I'm ready to buy, and $125? Easily easily worth it when considering a $50,000-$60,000 purchase. (As long as it's a Gen 2).

Drop me a note at [email protected], and let's set it up. :]

BTW: The new bike is a TT600, check out the following URL for the writeup on when I purchased the bike, it was, to say the least, a very very eventful trip!
http://www.dozer.com/tt600.html

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive my '94 everyday and wouldn't couldn't be happier. It took a while to get it mostly weatherproof, but I can live with a few drips.

Afy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sold my C5 to get a GTS..
For a daily driver.. the C5 hands down. :eek:
It has more gizmo's and is far more comfortable and manageable to drive.

For sheer power, gawking, and the knowledge that you can blow almost anything on the road away.. VIPER.
You must be registered for see images

I took mine to a Vette cruise night, without polishing or washing.. and guess where the crowd was?

The Viper is a far more demanding car to drive than the RX or the Vette..
takes a lot of getting used to. IMHO

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't use my 99 GTS as a daily driver. And, when I say daily driver, I mean for every single trip I take everywhere, not just *most* of my personal transportation.

The car is worth too much money to park in many places I need to go, and it is stiff enough that the lousy roads in downtown areas just aren't comfortable.

I would need some kind of supplimental car to share the workload.

Jim

DWParsons1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're a serious buyer and not just a wannabe looking for a free ride, you might drop by our meeting next Tuesday evening at Mama Mia's restaurant in Campbell There are ususally 30-40 Vipers/ owners in attendance who would be happy to give you the benefit of their advice (and maybe a ride)We start at 7pm - dinner costs $25.00

Mama Mia's is on Hamilton Avenue just off Hwy 17....

Don Parsons
NORCAL VCA (Viper Club of America)

OP
OP
D

Dozer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, I'm a very serious buyer. Already have financing pre-approved by my credit union for the full amount of a Gen 2 RT/10, even without selling my RX-7.

I'd already planned to stop by the Tuesday night meeting, in fact I'll be blowing of my Tuesday night ride and dinner with a cutie to be there! Yep, I'm *THAT* serious!

(And if someone with a bike license wants to try out the brand new triumph in trade for a ride, bring a helmet!!)

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dozer..... finally making the RX-7 to Viper transition like I did! You won't be disappointed...

C5 is probably a better daily driver.... but pales in comparison to the Viper in ANY other category...

we've talked before.... remember me?

Brooks

http://viper.miamisci.org

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My plan is for use as a daily driver, I just got mine this weekend. I have some contacts with others whose car I was interested in, but they weren't quick enough, so I got the one that I did. If you want that info, or the list of sites I scanned for ads, drop me an email.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My plan is for use as a daily driver, I just got mine this weekend. I have some contacts with others whose car I was interested in, but they weren't quick enough, so I got the one that I did. If you want that info, or the list of sites I scanned for ads, drop me an email.

OP
OP
D

Dozer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, of course I remember you. :]

Didn't know you already made the Viper transistion, I wonder how many other RX-7 owners have done the same after a blown engine.

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had an RX7. Made the following transitions. 944T->Mitsubishi 3000VR4->RX7->993->993TT->Viper GTS.

Going from the 944T to the 3000VR4 was kind of a let down.

VR4 to the RX7 was well worth while. I enjoyed the RX7. It was a little loose in the rear end but handled like a dream. Lots of power.

When I went to the 993 it was a let down in the power area. The RX7 felt a lot faster and seemed more fun to drive.

The 993TT was a huge jump up in power. I liked it quite a bit, but where I live service was impossible.

The Viper has been the most fun by far.

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Gen 1 (94) RT and would not recommend it as a daily driver. It's a great car and I love the roadster, but it leaks and windows are an issue. Follow the advice given and get a Gen 2 RT and I think that you'll be very happy!!

Reaction score
GTS. Great daily driver. No leaks. Rides nice.

Bad on gas thought and is hard not to race at every light. I find myself dusting minivans just because I want to drive fast. I had a C5 . It about the same. C5 is a little more cushy but not a HUGE difference

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala