Do stripes make a Viper more desirable and add value to the car???

starcity

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

What are your thoughts for having stripes on a GTS vs. no stripes for RESALE purposes. What % of buyers would prefer stripes over no stripes?

Let's assume you had a 2001 Red GTS ACR. All red or Red with Silver Stripes? What would you choose?

Assuming it makes a GTS Viper more desirable with Stripes, how much value do you think it adds? ($3000-$5000)???

Thanks for your feedback!

Chris, VCA Member NorCal.

viprvenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tough one... there are many folks that would want the car to be original... but assuming it makes the car worth more... I would say no more than $1k. I honestly don't know if I would offer more to a seller simply because the car has stripes. What do others think about this?

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
whatever was original on the car would hold the most value IMO

stripes in general are not common on cars & i think it would lower prospective buyers overall. i'm not saying one way looks better than another, but i definitely think stripes appeal to a very select group.

either way its what YOU like that matters. as far as resale, there's a buyer for every viper out there.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is definitely a personal preference. For me, I like the GTS with stripes and RT's without. I would pay around $1000 more for a striped car versus a nonstriped. If the stripes were factory, I'd prob go up to $2k more.

To answer your question, I'd prefer the ACR to be striped, but I think $3-5k is a pretty strong markup just for stripes. $2-3k sounds more reasonable

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the end (long term) original cars are worth more.

Short term, all depends on the buyer. :2tu:

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think a few years ago factory stripes added a full $3K to a used viper. I think that has lost some effect recently, maybe down to the $1-2K range. Although I like some vipers with no stripes, a striped car was the only one I was going to purchase.

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like stripes better on both the GTS and the RT/10 but then again maybe when i get old i wont want stripes anymore. Thats why i'm goin vinyl :) so while i'm young and love the way the stripes look i'll have them and when or if i decide i want it a solid color again then i'll peel them off, and back to original, but i doubt it because i think stripes look bada** just my opinion, the stripes make the car stand out even more to me.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't think you can put a dollar value on what stipes add to a used Viper. Some buyers are looking for stripes and some are not. I do not think it is the price difference that makes people choose striped or not striped. It is like picking the color of your car, you either want it or you don't.

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BlueGTS: I agree with what you said, but I think the original question was trying to as "If someone was looking for a striped car, how much more is it worth to them over a non-striped car?" or something to that effect.

How much "more" were you willing to pay over the "going" non-striped price when you bought your car ?

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't prefer strips.
They distract from the bodies curvaceousness. They do make the car look more **** and I like them on others Vipers, just not mine.
To each his own:) I think if the car came with strips that great, if not and your looking at the cars value, I wouldn’t add’em.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As has been said many times, personal preference. I personally wouldn't have stripes on mine, and would not consider buying a Viper that had stripes. So, in my case, they would detract from the value of the car enough to kill the deal.

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I was shopping for my GTS in 1999, I wanted a car with stripes and did not consider cars w/o stripes. Don't know if I paid more for my Black with silver stiped car over a non striped car or not, but I did get what I wanted.

Jim

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I definitely would pick one with stripes over one without, but I'm not sure I would pay more for one. I would look at other options first in determining a good price then choose between those with stripes and those without. Kinda like choosing a color. Looks are important but I want a car that will last and has been well maintained first.

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It depends on the individual wants..Not to change the post but it also epends on the car..For example stripes on a diablo or Modena look stupid and take away from the elegance and lines of the car..All up to the buyer taste..Definetly not worth paying more for these days with the quality of vinyl striping which can easily be applied and removed..

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Assuming that you equally like a car with or without stripes, then the value of the car is based on supply of buyers and demand. In general, for model years 01 and 02, for most colors, monotone is the more rare vehicle (for ACR's). In some color combinations, one quarter to one third of the vehicle run had monotone colors, rather than stripes. For GTS vehicles, the majority WERE made as monotone. As Tim721 put above, it is also my opinion that a majority of the consuming public do NOT like stripes, although many here disagree. Moreover, as Randy discussed above, for many individuals, stripes are a down right deal breaker. You will find, as you look around, that lighter stripes can show defects (especially on darker finished cars). If that stripe is not perfect, the eye goes immediately to the defect. It detracts from the overall look of the car and, consequently, the owner has a more difficult time selling because the car is not "perfect" in the eyes of the buyer. People are not going to want to buy a car with an immediate negative visual impact or something they will have to touch up.

Monotone cars do have a slight advantage in that respect. You will see tons of striped vehicles out there with rock damage on the stripe, making a bad presentation. It is harder to notice this damage on a monotone. Be warned, however, in that if you are looking for a specific model year, especially an 01 or 02 ACR without stripes, you may have to wait a long time to purchase that vehicle. Take for instance, sapphire blue ACR's without stripes. Only one model year made. Factoring in the limited amount of monotone cars available (about mid 20s), cars getting wrecked and abused, and cars getting shipped out of the country, there are very very few out there for serious consideration. Some colors are just very very hard to find. It is all in what you want, that is true, but the laws of supply and demand rule here as you note resale price in your question. For late model ACR cars (for a majority of the colors), in my opinion, the stripes detract from the value.

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Assuming that you equally like a car with or without stripes, then the value of the car is based on supply of buyers and demand. In general, for model years 01 and 02, for most colors, monotone is the more rare vehicle (for ACR's). In some color combinations, one quarter to one third of the vehicle run had monotone colors, rather than stripes. For GTS vehicles, the majority WERE made as monotone. As Tim721 put above, it is also my opinion that a majority of the consuming public do NOT like stripes, although many here disagree. Moreover, as Randy discussed above, for many individuals, stripes are a down right deal breaker. You will find, as you look around, that lighter stripes can show defects (especially on darker finished cars). If that stripe is not perfect, the eye goes immediately to the defect. It detracts from the overall look of the car and, consequently, the owner has a more difficult time selling because the car is not "perfect" in the eyes of the buyer. People are not going to want to buy a car with an immediate negative visual impact or something they will have to touch up.

Monotone cars do have a slight advantage in that respect. You will see tons of striped vehicles out there with rock damage on the stripe, making a bad presentation. It is harder to notice this damage on a monotone. Be warned, however, in that if you are looking for a specific model year, especially an 01 or 02 ACR without stripes, you may have to wait a long time to purchase that vehicle. Take for instance, sapphire blue ACR's without stripes. Only one model year made. Factoring in the limited amount of monotone cars available (about mid 20s), cars getting wrecked and abused, and cars getting shipped out of the country, there are very very few out there for serious consideration. Some colors are just very very hard to find. It is all in what you want, that is true, but the laws of supply and demand rule here as you note resale price in your question. For late model ACR cars (for a majority of the colors), in my opinion, the stripes detract from the value.

LOL, and what a co-inke-dink, you happen to have a sapphire with no stripes.