Do you think the SRT should look like this?

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey Mark,

I can't recall which of these wheels you finally decided on for your car to complete that muscle machine look.

The Viper, that is.....

You must be registered for see images

or.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
E for effort???

This one's for Mark. It's daamn hard to draw with a mouse which explains the horrible quality, but you get the idea.

Craig
(this car has much potential as a street coupe)

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HEll yeah the SRT should look like that, OMG, those lines fix everything wrong about that car, wow... Maybe some of the animosity towards the SRT is derived from the fact that it has no rool hoop/sport bar thingy. Wow, a coupe w/ those lines, yeah!!! Thanks for the pic!

Clint

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the SRT rims look great.

Why would you want to screw up the lines of the car by throwing on some rolling-**** rims like the ones that have been posted?

Maybe they were "far out" back in the 60's, but let's not mess up a nice modern looking car by tossing on a set of redneck specials, eh?

Maybe we should put a confederate flag on the top, run open headers, get some crappy tires and a horrible suspension, then break out the chewin' tobbacy and slap our wives/sisters around a little before suckin' down some moonshine and headin' to the dirt track?

Geez.. there is a reason the past is the past and that rims don't look like that anymore... cuz nobody likes them!

I think you old guys with your nostaligic tastes are the rice boys of the 60's. Today the rice boys run naaaawwss on their cars and have neon winshield wipers just like the ones they saw and loved in "the fast and the furious". Back then you guys were jacking your cars up in the back, putting on ever-louder exhausts, and slapping on salad bowl rims after watching "Bullit" too many times.

It all makes sense now. I'm even happier that you guys don't like the SRT!
smile.gif
Today, the rice boys idolize Vin Diesel in his Eclipse. Back then you guys idolized Steve McQueen in his equivalent era POS!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I've finally figured out the anger over the SRT - you guys are olden-day riceboys!!!!

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks great!

I tried doing the same thing but I **** so I printed out the pic and drew a GTS roof/hatch as well as a little tail spoiler, like on the current GTS.

CRaig

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Brunton:
I think the SRT rims look great.

Why would you want to screw up the lines of the car by throwing on some rolling-**** rims like the ones that have been posted?

Maybe they were "far out" back in the 60's, but let's not mess up a nice modern looking car by tossing on a set of redneck specials, eh?

Maybe we should put a confederate flag on the top, run open headers, get some crappy tires and a horrible suspension, then break out the chewin' tobbacy and slap our wives/sisters around a little before suckin' down some moonshine and headin' to the dirt track?

Geez.. there is a reason the past is the past and that rims don't look like that anymore... cuz nobody likes them!

I think you old guys with your nostaligic tastes are the rice boys of the 60's. Today the rice boys run naaaawwss on their cars and have neon winshield wipers just like the ones they saw and loved in "the fast and the furious". Back then you guys were jacking your cars up in the back, putting on ever-louder exhausts, and slapping on salad bowl rims after watching "Bullit" too many times.

It all makes sense now. I'm even happier that you guys don't like the SRT!
smile.gif
Today, the rice boys idolize Vin Diesel in his Eclipse. Back then you guys idolized Steve McQueen in his equivalent era POS!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I've finally figured out the anger over the SRT - you guys are olden-day riceboys!!!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike that is so honestly true it's not even funny... well it is actually. Times change, fads don't, It is so easy to compare fads of each generation to one another. remember mooneyes??? todays type R stickers. Fart can exhausts, dual exhausts with cherry bombs. I could keep going and going but won't cuz I'll get too tired.

Mike makes a great point, one which I have considered bringing up before but havn't.
And like guys with 318 chargers weren't running around with hemi badges on the car. Too funny

Craig

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Brunton:
Why would you want to screw up the lines of the car by throwing on some rolling-**** rims like the ones that have been posted?....

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess you guys don't perceive sarcasm too well, huh?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right Back at'cha!!!
laugh.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Brunton:I've finally figured out the anger over the SRT - you guys are olden-day riceboys!!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Brunton's now calling Classic American Muscle Rice??!! Show's you how total warped his perspective has become, having fallen under the SRT's spell..
laugh.gif
smile.gif

(And no, I have no problem with that sarcasm stuff!!)

OP
OP
Marv S

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey Mark, I'm almost regretting teaching you how to post pics on the site. Make the move out here and you can be the mouth for the club, just give the teeth to your neighbor before you leave.
laugh.gif

You running that Bel without any exhaust bolted to the heads or putting headers on to connect to the exhaust? Got the EBC blue pads on the front, too, huh?

MIKE, You got part of the point. The classic wheels are there for Mark as he is stuck in a time warp of past fashion statements, not as actual suggestions for the Viper. Since he chased some guy from L.I. that he tried to bully off the board he's been having a free run. I was actually looking for the Duke's General Lee Wagon wheels. The arid desert develops a dry humor some just can't follow. Kind of like my signature. We'll water it down some next time.
laugh.gif

I hear it's dry in Texas, too

Mark, move it to off topic...........

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,

I am partially trying to make a point... I'm sure some folks felt slighted when I was calling the old cars POS's, and the rims "rolling turds" and "salad bowls" (even though I am being totally honest that you guys are the rice of the 60's). It's honestly the exact same thing as the guys taking shots at the SRT. I don't mind the SRT shots one bit - I love the car! - so long as you guys don't get mad if I lob some mortars your way too
smile.gif
. I know the automotive designers of today can't compete with those of old... I mean, after all, it was sheer genius to put a horn on the roadrunner that went "MEEP MEEP"! I wonder how long the designers spent getting the tone just right? Too bad they didn't spend a bit more time in the wind tunnel, or on developing a suspension that would let the car corner at more than 10mph without flipping off the road onto it's back and emitting shamoo-like beaching sounds. Hey, maybe you guys would like the SRT a bit more if they put a horn on it that went "HISSSSS" rather than "BEEEP". Sure, they might have to compromise on performance a little - maybe wouldn't have enough time to develop that new motor as well as they did, or might not be able to fit ABS onto the car, but DARN CAN YOU IMAGINE HOW TOTALLY FAAAAR OUUUUT it would be MAAAAN if we hard a horn that hissed? Hey, maybe we could get them to splash an image of a phoenix... no, no... a DODO on the hood... that would, like, totally FREAK out the squares MAN... it would be PSYCHADELIC!!! I know the SRT will beat the pants of almost everything out there, but what does that matter when you have an ego to stroke, and a mid-life crisis to try to compensate for - we gotta look totally hip to these young-uns or the 25 year old ladies will laugh in our faces when we try to pick them up with our comb-overs and checkered pants, rather than waiting until we drive off to laugh at us. heheheheh

I know most of us never actually GO to the racetrack, and we never actually GO to any sort of competitive environment, so why bother about how the SRT performs? We need LOOKS bro's - who cares about SUBSTANCE. It's GOTTA look cool at the local Sonic while we try to sneak glances up the skirts of the girls that are probably friends with our daughters!
laugh.gif

Bigs,

I have NO IDEA what you're talking about with the sarcasm thing - was Mark being sarcastic? I didn't pick up on it. Either I'm losing my perceptive abilities, or your 10 gallon hat has been on your head too long, and has squeezed your brain and caused you to become a "bit slow"!
smile.gif
. As for "old muscle" being rice, I'm starting to think this is where the rice thing started. Back then, they were putting on open headers, whitewall tires (or white lettered tires), painting phoenix's on their hood, putting the biggest "4 barrel" or "six pack" they could find on their 289 motor (surpassed only by MULTIPLE huge carbs!), installing the ubiquitous 8-ball shifter and fuzzy dice, and of course fitting the elite "cherry bomb" exhaust system (good for -2RWHP I'm sure!) to their ***** rolling turds. The *real* performance guys had the big motor cars that were actually fast and are actually worth money nowadays. These guys doing it in the 60's are *IDENTICAL* to the guys nowadays putting fat tires, TypeR stickers, neon lights, fartcan exhausts, short shifters, 8-foot wings, and japanese letter graphics on their cars. They were both groups of kids into looking cool and getting attention with their rides. The old guys idolized James Dean and Steve McQueen, and tried to make their "hip" rides look (or at least sound) like his - while these guys they were idolizing were actually into REAL machinery like Porsche's, Norton's and the like, their imitators were stuffing huge-cammed 440's into their mom's hand-me-down "goat" trying to play the part. Nowadays, the rice boys hold Vin Diesel and guys like Adam Saruwatari as their idols and try to imitate the look with lowered suspensions, neon lights, fart cans and the whole lot of "aftermarket performance" parts. It's all so clear now!!!!

I would also like to PROUDLY state that I have *ALWAYS* at all times since I was able to drive owned a car that runs at least 13's at the track, and can get around an AutoX or Road course pretty quickly, and I have never put anything on my car that didn't help performance in some way.

These old guys with their big-inch motors are the beginnings of AUTOMOTIVE RICE! Except I guess back then it was DOMESTIC RICE!!!!
laugh.gif

Mark is right about the witch thing - we know how to have a REAL BBQ up here. You TX guys think you have the good BBQ's when you grab a cow, shove a skewer up it's bum and put it over the fire. Up here in the Northeast, we round up a few disreputable lookin' folks and toast them instead!

P.S. Marv,

I know you were intending those pics for Mark - Mark and I have a bit of a "difference of opinion" on the SRT, and he's so eloquently (and humorously) showed his feelings, so I thought I'd join the fray, and say what all of us young guys REALLY think about the old cars. All in good fun!
smile.gif

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that the side view of the new wannabe Viper still ***** TOTALLY. As I've said before many times, that reverse slash and straight crease at the top of the side air extractors kills the whole car. I don't care what you put under the skin, it isn't a snake any more.

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CobraCam:
Looks should take a backseat to performance.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So go bolt a JATO rocket to a Gremlin.....
smile.gif

Mike,
laugh.gif
!! I thought you had to work today!!! If I have to spell it out for you it loses something but here goes. The sarcasm gloss was in reference to MARV's post, and he was kind enough to acknowledge our dry humor here in the Southwest.

By the way, your discription of 70's autos (bought my first at 16 in 1972) doesn't hold true for my Superbird (Stock 440/6pk HI PO with only a gear change) But I did have a '70 Duster 340 later that had cut-outs, lift kit and moon rims! (but it was faster than the 'Bird!!
smile.gif
laugh.gif

It's 70 degree's out; I'm going for a drive!!

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark,

I added to the post a few times.. I wanted to put more smilies in there but it said I was limited to 8 in one post... hmmm... After re-reading, it does come across like a rant - wasn't mean to be a rant, but c'est la vie!
smile.gif

I am just teasing you guys though. I wasn't around in the 60's, and I was a toddler in the latest part of the 70's, so I didn't get 'into cars' until the late 80's really. When I'm old, I'll probably think Vipers and Vettes and Ferraris and Jags and such are cool and the young whippersnappers will give me a hard time for owning a car with stripes on it and that had chrome rims. What goes around comes around!

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so I played arounth the old mopar thing for fun this afternoon and came up with this.

I also adjusted the hood vent a bit and I think it looks a little better. Of course the stripe is a joke.

Craig

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been really busy at work recently, so I haven't had as much time as I'd like to come over here and read all this stuff, but I have to ask one question....

Brunton, how much money is Dodge paying you to defend the SRT???

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hooo, boy, I iz lovin this!! I can't wait fur Sunday when Bigs meets Brunton at Road Atlantee. We will see on Monday which one can win da wheel debait, az they will be wheelin sum Panoz GTRAs' round da trak at speed . Will it be da old guy, Bigs, or da young dude Brunt, that hazz da stuff? Well, I will keep ya posted and personally I thinck da Keystones look pritty dandy on my John Deere ---- wanna race for a bushel?

Cabin Fever in Kneebraskee

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CobraCam:
In its purest form, looks don't enter into it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sir, you are sadly mistaken. Do you own a Viper? I'm not talking about Burago scale models either. When I march happily down to the dealer and lay down $60-90 thousand for a sports car, it had better have plenty of curbside WOW-appeal to go with the performance.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Venom,

Dodge has promised me a free SRT. They said they would pull off the hideously ugly tupperware exterior and put on that of the Comp. Coupe... I actually hate the SRT more than anyone, but I just can't pass up a free car!

Bill,

You're talking funny... you been sipping the moonshine again while Bob is out wooing the customers??? As for Bigs, he can't even keep it "on track" while going through the drive-thru - what makes you think he can keep it on the track going 100+?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

(And the smack talkin' begins....)

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Well, glad to see you cleaned up yur act , young-in, as we will all be on the track next week, and ya'll know rubbin-iz-racin, and us old geezers were goin change that to , " Puntin Brunton."
Well, I guess you don't have to be feared bout bunch of old fartz comin up behind ya now. See how much good can be done by not rantin and bein polite to yur elders. Hell, if ya hang around with me next week, and keep up that good attitude, I might jest take a likin to you and spike up that Cabernet you are drinkin with a little of my Geritol ---- heck of a kick and makes ya feel real healthy when ya puke.

* WAR NO " RANTIN BRUNTON"

Keystones Rule !

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brunton:

Me = Tons of Confidence, with paid-for damage liability waiver and loads of experience... (and knowing "it's a rental")

You = Whimpering little Putt-Putt, afraid of a door ding or fender rub because you're too cheap to buy aforementioned waiver.

Me = Taking you off track with me...

You = OH YEAH, You'll be safe from me, because you'll be in the rookie group!!!

Billy Bob, Could you bring a backup stash of the Geritol? I ain't been drinkin' lately and my sacroiliac is actin' up!

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
laugh.gif

You guys are a trip!
smile.gif
Looking forward IMMENSELY to next week. My backup plan is to challenge y'all to drag racing if I don't fare so well on the road course.

My last road course experience was less than ideal - it was at Vegas at VOI5. I was being too much of a "feline" and wasn't braking hard enough. The guy explained the concept of brake markers. I failed to grasp the concept by the time we hit the next turn, and ended up braking way, Way, WAY late. The guy immediately went into the "oh $hit!" position (hands on dash, bracing for imminent off-track excursion), but yours truly kept on the binders and pulled through the corner faster than I knew a Viper was capable of.

What I'm saying is, that my technique involves going all out into the turn, slamming on the brakes, closing my eyes, and requesting some divine intervention from jebus (or the instructor, don't matter much to me).

Works so far!

WAR GERIATRIC OLD COMBOVER CANDIDATES!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You have grown up Mikey, saying you were feeling feline instead of using the "P" word, shows a level of maturity in your use of the English language. I am thinking that BIGS has also failed to inform you of the Racing Initiation Fee for ROOKIES ----------Bombay Sapphire for Bigs and I , in a tall glass, and I prefer 2 limes. Don't worry, we leave on Wednesday , so the initiation only lasts for 3 full days.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bombay Sapphire? Sounds like a drink?
smile.gif

One thing I am SURE of, is I can drink you old men under the table! Just not when I have to get up the next morning to race (yes, I am still tender like a little flower inside, despite my manly, gruff exterior)
laugh.gif

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First Brunton calls classic American muscle "rice" and now Cobracan't implies that all '92 to '02 Viper owners are "ricers"! When will it all end?!
laugh.gif

I made an observation in Atlanta last week that seemed to strike a chord with several well-known Viper owners there, so I'll post it here:

As our modeling and wind tunnel testing capabilities continue to evolve and improve, it would seem that designers will gravitate towards that one shape that provides the least amount of CD yet is still functional and somewhat attractive. It would seem to follow naturally that this design would eventually work it's way into each manufacturer's offerings, thus the reason for the apparent generic nature of the styling of the SRT as well as all the autos it seems to look like. Another factor could be a search for reductions in R&D and development costs. "If we can piggy back off someone else's work and expense".... yada yada. This could explain the design similarities between the SRT and the MB SLR.

Then again, I could be wrong!....
smile.gif

cycloneGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you really care how the car looks when the stock Mustang and Corvette can whip the tar out of you? Whats your excuse then? The Viper needs EVERYTHING it can in order to stay on-top. We all know that GM is willing to make horrendous sacrifices in styling if they can make a car more functional. I dread the day when a magazine article reads...

"The Corvette is definitely America's Performance Car. It bests the Viper in braking, handling, lateral g's, comfort, acceleration, and top speed. The Viper just looks better."
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
(Dumb) question...are the "stock" Mustangs and Corvettes whipping the tar out of Vipers currently? I don't know the answer, but I do know that DC has done a good job to this point of making the Viper both functional and stylish (very). They certainly hadn't sacrificed style as of '02.

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

(I know everyone is thrilled to see that smilie make it onto this forum!)

Excellent post Jon-E-Bob!!
Nothing more needs to be said (but I'm sure it will be !!)
laugh.gif

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I don't much venture over to the S2000 area of this board for obvious reasons, but to CobraCam that tossed out some numbers of 4.5 0-60 on a GenII, please do some research before spewing out numbers, even though your numbers do support your case, however flawed......

Click on this for something a touch more accurate:

0-60 times when 1-4 skipshift is eliminated.

I would think more along the lines of 3.7 on the common 11.7x's that are run with good drivers of stock GenII's......

just my .02 cents, I hope everyone goes and get an SRT and mothballs their GenII's, then I'll be the only one driving a true Viper on the roads!!! sounds good to me......
bounce.gif