Dodge preparing supercharged, Convertible Vipers for 2016?

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was told the same thing this weekend by the Corvette person from the manufacturer who came down from Michigan with the car. But he also said that driving the seven speed manual ( the one he had with him), was more fulfilling and engaging as a driver's car. As I mentioned, the car has impressive and instantaneous low end torque. The low volume high RPM supercharger did the job and allows for excellent throttle response. But things that spin faster tend to generate more heat.

Last edited:

orlanderlv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's near the same amount as before the manufacturer discount. I've been keeping an eye on dealer allotments and unsold inventory on ebay, cars, autotrader, etc, as well as numbers over the past few months from cars released to dealerships. The discount didn't help other than the initial spike. It was virtually dead on arrival.

ViperDC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's near the same amount as before the manufacturer discount. I've been keeping an eye on dealer allotments and unsold inventory on ebay, cars, autotrader, etc, as well as numbers over the past few months from cars released to dealerships. The discount didn't help other than the initial spike. It was virtually dead on arrival.

LOL what are you talking about? Sales are WAY up after the discount.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+1. Just look at the monthly stats since the price change. They reopened the plant. That speaks for itself.

snakeplissken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right now Dodge is deciding whether to hit 800+HP in the 2016 Viper with a SC. The convertible may not happen but the SC most likely Will. The Hellcat has 707HP the Viper has to exceed it.

Last edited:

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right now Dodge is deciding whether to hit 800+HP in the 2016 Viper with a SC. The convertible may not happen but the SC most likely
Will. The Hellcat has 707HP the Viper has to exceed it.

Who is your source....the "Duke of New York"?

snakeplissken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they use the same technology in the Viper SC that they use in the Hellcat then we are good to go. The Hellcats have been hammered for hours with no problems.

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Supercharger will be great, then Viper owners can feel the same power loss as Z06 owners.

Not if they keep the motor 8.4L, make the blower 3.0+L and run lo boost like 6 ish pounds. That will get the current 640 motor to over 800 easy, and not build hardly any heat.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My answer is, whatever it takes to kick the poop out of every regular production car, most importantly the Nissan and the Porsche. No holds barred destroyer, as the Viper's original founders had done.

adprokid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A game ender Supercharged 800hp Viper with a scary name "Hell Snake" maybe.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you had the choice, would you rather see the factory bump the stock HP in the 2016 to 700 hp naturally aspirated or 800 hp with a Supercharger?

Hmmm. Good question. I'd say 700hp NA for the ACR/TA and 800hp SC for the more street friendly snakes like the GTS.

James1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Considering that the viper may have a new competitor this Jan @ Detroit Auto show named Ford GT its time for the charger.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would anybody buy a Vette?

If the manufacturer states that driving the stick is more fulfilling and engaging than their automatic, and Vipers are certaintly more fulfilling and engaging than Vettes, why would anybody buy a Vette?

I have driven lots of Vettes, and never found one that was more fun to drive than my Vipers. Why drive a Vette when the Viper driving experience is much more rewarding.

I understand the desire to drive a more comfortable vehicle, but if that is the goal, why not just drive a minivan?

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would anybody buy a Vette?

I believe David Attenborough would say that purchasing a Corvette would be the most economical way for an aging chimp to increase his dwindling mating opportunities.

rosco

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it only makes sense in a stupid american bigger is better kind of way. Hell, henessey has been supercharging them for years for about 20k retail. in fact, if they didn't. henessy would.
not going to buy one. i'm not a fan of superchargers.

will wait for the convertable though. from what i read, the convert is coming out this year on the same platform. it is the 2016/2017 model year they are looking to supercharge that beast.

but-- when the new ford gt launches, with a twin turbo mid engine six, people are going to see bigger doesnt mean better in a hurry. what an awsome looking car. i hear they are putting that engine in the new raptor too.

if i were dodge i would have a mid engine on the drawing board, not a made over same ole with a supercharger. setting the motor over the rear tires is about the only way they are gping to get better zero to 60 times out of a rear wheel drive car. The supercharger and 800 poinies will only mean more spin or a serious upgrade in traction control at the line. neither of which will help launch times by much.

Treviso

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally think that the V6 Twin Turbo is a mistake for the new FGT. I know that it will be fast as heck, but a V6 is simply not an exotic platform for a supercar, IMHO!

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
That and copying some other makers idea shows you've given up and willing to settle for what others are doing. (opinion)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadlick32