Dodge Viper is dead?

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same total and utter BS that was posted here on the VCA forum a while back, if it were really true Nardelli wouldn't have made that statement at the Viper plant.. CAN'T PEOPLE KEEP THEIR UNINFORMED RUMOR SPREADING #*#%&*$* MOUTH SHUT UNTIL A CREDIBLE NOT TO MENTION OFFICIAL SOURCE TELLS US WHAT'S REALLY GOING ON :mad:
I bet it comes from a bunch of childish whining Chevy numbnutses that are crying over the loss of their throne to the 08 and ACR by spreading unfounded nonsense based on what SEEMS to be true.. AGAIN since 1992 being the first one.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems that the Vette guys are actually concerned that the Viper may be discontinued. It was the main competition for them and of course competition is always good for the consumer.

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There were some very kind posts on the Corvette forum, I guess we all get a bit scared when the price of gas goes through the roof and the politicians are busy saving the planet by making people feel guilty driving big engined cars.

What will get the Viper and the Blue Devil first the money men or society???

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My buddy just bought an SRT after owning Vettes for years. He said, "I cannot believe its that much diffeent! I cannot believe I deprived myself of that Viper feeling for all these years. There is nothing else like it."

He still has his Vette, but has not driven since he got his Viper.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i saw this vette post ,, i didn't realise the vettes dominated the viper in racing

That may be partly true. Viper was still competing in the ALMS while the C5R's were waxing their tails in GT1. They may not have had factory backing however. That I do not know for sure. But I've attended quiet a number of ALMS races where the Viper couldn't run with the vettes, and usually had some mechanical failure or off track excurrsions. The Corvette is such a dominant force that all these different manufactures are frustrated in their efforts to try to compete that they eventually drop out of the competion. But that is all part of racing - excellent handling cars, excellent drivers, and reliabilty breeds champions. We're just fortunate that we're the best.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's only because Chevy spends millions more than Dodge to sponsor a race team. Dodge does it for a few years for promotional purposes then pulls out. Where Chebbie has the funding to continuously run a team. That's one of the benefits of having a high volume sports car.:dunno:

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's only because Chevy spends millions more than Dodge to sponsor a race team. Dodge does it for a few years for promotional purposes then pulls out. Where Chebbie has the funding to continuously run a team. That's one of the benefits of having a high volume sports car.:dunno:

The C6R has nothing to do with the Z06. Two completely different cars. Winning races? One word: F-A-C-T-O-R-Y. Custom-built cars. State-of-the-art resources. The best professional drivers. How else could GM get the Caddy CTS to run out in front of everyone else in the SPEED Challenge?

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please remind me who not only won their class, but took the OVERALL win at the Rolex at Daytona 24 hour race in in 2000...and who was in second (the first loser)? Competition improves the breed, and it always amazes me to hear the vette crowd talk trash on the Viper. Do they really think the C6 Z06 would exist if the Viper had never been produced?

I heard Cindi Lux speak at VOI, and she mention all the weight penalties imposed on the Viper. The GTS/R Vipers had air intakes about the size of a siver dollar to slow them down (or to help others catch up). I guess this is the sort of thing people don't take into consideration before they let the smack fly.

jdavis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope that this turns out to be a rumor and the Viper remains in production. However, the new ownership of Chrysler has decided that the only way to survive is to cut costs and get lean for the tough times the auto market is facing. They apparently didn't learn from past mistakes when all performance products were cut and everything went to front wheel drive economy cars like the "K" cars. The problem is that the public still has a love for the performance models such as the Viper, Charger, and Challenger and will buy them. Witness the sold out '08 Viper production in light of the price of gas and the "so called" depressed economic news. To discontinue the Viper looks like they are shooting themselves in the foot. Why not cut production on the cars that are not selling rather than the halo car that is doing more for the brand than anything else.:rant2:

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why not cut production on the cars that are not selling rather than the halo car that is doing more for the brand than anything else.:rant2:

They've already done that. The PT cruiser is discontinued as well as the Nitro, Aspen and short wheel base minivan. They're planning on reducing the total number of models by about 10 or so.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i saw this vette post ,, i didn't realise the vettes dominated the viper in racing

That may be partly true. Viper was still competing in the ALMS while the C5R's were waxing their tails in GT1. They may not have had factory backing however. That I do not know for sure. But I've attended quiet a number of ALMS races where the Viper couldn't run with the vettes, and usually had some mechanical failure or off track excurrsions. The Corvette is such a dominant force that all these different manufactures are frustrated in their efforts to try to compete that they eventually drop out of the competion. But that is all part of racing - excellent handling cars, excellent drivers, and reliabilty breeds champions. We're just fortunate that we're the best.

Organized racing isn't really racing. Organized racing is all about handicapping the best cars so that the junk can compete with them. When Vipers competed in Lemans there was no competition. If a Viper was racing - it won. So, the "organization" added weight and restrictor plates to make it "fair" for the slugs. However, repeating history, like they did to the Daytonas and Superbirds, the organizations didn't make it fair - unless you were in a vette. The vette wasn't ompetition for the Viper and the org. made sure that NO Vipers would win ANY races. We certainly showed up every other manufacturer until they disqualified Dodges though.

That Cindy Lux could even place shows how hard her crew and her work. The rules make it like using a Kcar to compete with a Ferrari, not much chance - but she's managing to put on a show.

Maybe Cerebus should order the Factory to design a car that, with the restrictors, kicks ever other companies ass? Prove that Dodge is the only one that can overcome even the politics of racing organizations? That would probably cost as much as GM spent to get Dodge Vipers restricted in the first place.

All this information is available to the public, so when a vette guy starts bragging about how much faster they are than Vipers - they're showing that they know nothing. Ask them why the Caddy is faster. Or why Caddy races a 4 door pass. car instead of it's supercharged XLR(?).

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They've already done that. The PT cruiser is discontinued as well as the Nitro, Aspen and short wheel base minivan. They're planning on reducing the total number of models by about 10 or so.

Actually, they're planning on reducing the number of duplicate models. They also announced that they were/should be planning on getting the JEEP brand back its Offroad roots, instead of building them more for street.

Ted

ViperDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a C6 Convertible in addition to the Viper.

The Vette is my airport car, I leave it sitting there all the time, sometimes for more than a month. It's going bye-bye soon, it feels like a Honda Accord in comparison.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a C6 Convertible in addition to the Viper.

The Vette is my airport car, I leave it sitting there all the time, sometimes for more than a month. It's going bye-bye soon, it feels like a Honda Accord in comparison.

Thanks, good to read a "reality post". Beats reading about vette guys thinking that they ever kicked Viper ass, ever.

Ted

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Vette did NOT dominate in the ALMS until Dodge/Oreca pulled the plug on the Viper program. What he is most referring to is the ESP Viper privateer team of Tom Weikardt who had a budget of 1.5 mil. a year compared to GMs almost unlimited budget, and Tom got his butt kicked for years by the Vette. He has since retired but was doing what most only dream of. Tom also got his start in Viper Days.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32